Windows 8 Black Screen

Sonny

Excellent Member
I just changed out my MB and now have a MSI- B75MA-P45 board. Since doing that I have trouble
the first time I go to start up in the morning. When I turn my computer on my monitor is just a blackscreen. If I manually shut down and then restart everything works. During the day you can shutdown and restart as many times as you like without a problem.

Could there be a problem with my motherboard or power supply? My power supply is 600W with 40 amps. I have the latest bios installed in the MB.

I am not sure if this will help but here is what I got for a system.

Capture.PNG

Sonny is everything up to date regarding bios and drivers? Windows 8 runs best with the latest bios.

I notice at least one of the bios updates is windows 8 specific:

MSI UK ? Motherboard - B75MA-P45

Yes it is. I just upgraded my bias to the latest (1.5) and had a couple of Intel drivers that were updated.
It seems as if the computer is shut off for more than two hours that is when the problem starts.

Sonny check your Event viewer, sounds like something isn't starting up.

Hmm... When you first turn on the pc do you get a single beep? It might also be an idea to try safe mode to see if it's a driver issue.

There is no beep. Just the sound of my fans running as usual. How do I get into safe mold? This is all knew to me. Never have used safe mold before.

When a pc first starts it 'Posts' (power on self test) and if everything is ok it gives a single beep. These beeps can be used in a diagnostic fashion as if there is something wrong the beeps can change;

Computer POST and beep codes

Great, you got into safe mode. Ok, when you boot up does the pc still do the same thing or does the screen act normally. If this was the case then it would point to a driver that is causing the issue.

Lastly, when you first start the pc up and get the black screen, how long have you left it before rebooting? Sometimes when win 8 is first installed you will get a black screen appearing initially although it doesn't hang around and will eventually stop.

Edit: I just realised when walking to get some ciggies you might not have a case speaker attached if you fitted the board yourself. Is it possible for you to fit one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kemical, I don't know for sure but went ahead and did another clean install. I have noticed that so far everything seems to be working fine. Before it you could let it sit for 5 minutes or longer and nothing would happen. I do get a very short delay but I found that to always be the way it was. I will get back to you after seeing how it is going to go with booting up tomorrow morning.

It may be some type of situation where the boot device is being lost during the down times. When you boot while expecting a problem, go into the bios and make sure the Windows boot manager for the drive is available.

UEFI bioses check those devices very early, and if one is not responding, it may not see it.

Thanks Kemical, I don't know for sure but went ahead and did another clean install. I have noticed that so far everything seems to be working fine. Before it you could let it sit for 5 minutes or longer and nothing would happen. I do get a very short delay but I found that to always be the way it was. I will get back to you after seeing how it is going to go with booting up tomorrow morning.

Ok Sonny, fingers crossed.. :) Saltgrass is your man for UEFI bios's ect.. I've still yet to actually use one lol.

Thanks guys for your help. It did it again but the boot manager was there. The UEFI bio's boot function was disabled for whatever reason. I enabled it and will see what happens in the morning.

It seems no matter what I try, the first time I boot up in the morning, I still have to shut down manually and then boot up again. After that it will work fine all day. I have noticed once after shutting down during the day for I don't know I think it was for at least three hours the problem came back. Is it possible that my 600W-40 amps psu is not big enough to handle it. Or could I have some kind of memory link. I am getting frustrated with it. :apologetic:

Just an update to let you know that whatever was the problem seems to be gone. My computer got to where it would not shut down. I used windows repair disc to do a system image restore. After doing that everything is working fine. I still don't know the cause for it acting up. I want to thank all of you for the help you gave me. Just glad everything is back to normal.

Back