Windows 7 Blank icons/white thumbnails + slow My Computer

Guy1

Blank icons/white thumbnails + slow My Computer [SOLVED by formatting]

After some time on the computer the icons become blank and My Computer doesn't load.
It all returns to normal after I end the task "dllhost.exe", and after some time the problem comes back again.

I've tried these solutions:
- SFC /scannow
- Recreating IconCache.db

System:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite P775
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2400 MHz

Thanks!

---

Icons:
icons.png

Computer:
computer.png

Last edited:
After some grace period following the format - the problem came back.
So I did a System Restore, the problem disappeared for a few hours, and then came back again.

I've managed to pin point what exactly is causing the problem inside the dllhost.exe process with the help of Process Explorer (by Sysinternals) and its listing of Handles inside each process.
When the problem happened I went into the list of Handles inside dllhost.exe and started closing handles one by one to see after which one the problem disappears.
It turns out to be something called "ALPC Port/RPC Control" (Screenshot attached)

I really hope this info will help in figuring out this annoying problem.

Thanks!

---

Apparently it has something to do with codecs installed on the pc - in my case it is K-Lite.
I've uninstalled and things got back to normal - and when I installed the codecs again (I've tried different codec packs) it came back.
Furthermore, now there is another problem of "COM Surrogate has stopped working" with this error event:
"Faulting application name: DllHost.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc6b7
Faulting module name: RPCRT4.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7ba59
Exception code: 0xc0020043
Fault offset: 0x0005cd99
Faulting process id: 0x778
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbf761de92209
Faulting application path: C:\windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\syswow64\RPCRT4.dll
Report Id: 5cc678d8-2b69-11e2-a5c6-dc0ea12f8458"

And so I've followed these instructions:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-in-windows-7/
And I'm trying to figure out if it helped.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Go to windows services and set the Acronis True image to manual and stop the service and see if that helped. If not, uninstall Acronis and see if that helped. If not, get back to us. (You should use EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard. It's free and better than Acronis).

Go to windows services and set the Acronis True image to manual and stop the service and see if that helped. If not, uninstall Acronis and see if that helped. If not, get back to us. (You should use EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard. It's free and better than Acronis).

After some searching, this is what I've done:
1. Logged out of the Sync in Acronis ([DUPLICATE] Slow folder display issues possibly caused by Acronis True Image 2013? | Knowledge Base) [I already had "Acronis Nonstop Backup Service" and "Acronis Sync Agent Service" stopped and set to manual, and so I started "Acronis Sync Agent Service", logged out of Sync and stopped the service. Left "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" on and set to Automatic]
2. Renamed ti_manager_proxy_1.dll (Com Surrogate failure | Knowledge Base)

Now I have dllhost.exe running but the problem doesn't happen. Hopes it stays this way.
If not, apparently it only happens with Acronis 2013, so I'll install the 2012 or 2011 version.
Anyway, I'm also using Macrium Reflect to backup.

Thanks!

Hope so too! Just from some research, I found this to help others with similar cases as yours.

Hope so too! Just from some research, I found this to help others with similar cases as yours.
Thanks, after months of searching, reading, & swearing this fixed my problem also:D win7-ult-64bit-16ram-AMD-8core cpu. I'm gonna NOT use Acronis again on this system.

Back
Top Bottom