Windows 10 Blues, Screams of Despair

Hi there

I'm here because I'm at wits end in regards to my Surface Pro 3 and its recurring BSODs.

I've gone through a bunch of different things already, including resetting windows (all my stuff is in the cloud anyway, so not like I'm losing anything but time by trying), but no matter what I do I end up with a frowny face, a blue screen and a reboot.

At first it was an Unexpected Store Exception, but the latest BSOD (which happened while I was writing this post) was a Critical Process Died-thingy.

I hope I've followed the right procedure for you lot to take a look at the diagnostics-stuff, just as I hope you can help me sort this issue out.

Help me Obi-wan Stranger, you are my only hope!

Attachments

• W7F_13-06-2017.zip
    876.5 KB · Views: 290
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 154, {ffff900da138f000, ffffe681813eb050, 2, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
all the dumps were the same and pointed at the Disk hardware as a probable cause:
Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x%x.
This is basically saying that data wasn't written to the memory due to an I/O error possibly corruption.

Please ensure your drivers especially storage/SATA drivers are up to date:
Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Try running the Diagnostic Tool kit for the surface and see if it turns up anything:
Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit (Surface)

Please run Seatools for Windows and check your system drive
SeaTools | Seagate

If everything comes back as fine then it might be the recent Creators Update causing problems. Did your problems start around the time of install?
If you think they did try rolling back or removing the Creators Update:
How to rollback and uninstall Windows 10 Creators Update

Please post any new dump files which occur after making the above changes.

Ran Microsoft Surface Diagnostic. BSOD'ed midway through, so the skipped parts is stuff that worked.
Definitely ran into some snags there. Couldn't find any Bluetooth devices, and both the System Assesment and Crash Dump Collection failed hard. Zip of the result is added to this post.

SeaTools reported the S.M.A.R.T. check and short DST as a pass, but the Long Generic test as a fail. Don't know if I should run anymore, nor how I get a report out of the program.

I haven't begun updating drivers, but that'll be what I'll be looking at over the course of the evening (unless it is irrelevant and I should just chuck the tablet out the window?)

Attachments

• SurfaceDiagnostic_011382643153.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 323
I haven't begun updating drivers, but that'll be what I'll be looking at over the course of the evening (unless it is irrelevant and I should just chuck the tablet out the window?)
Heh, no don't do that lol although I do understand the frustration.

Try updating the drivers and if that doesn't seem to work don't forget about the Creators Update and it's removal (see link above).

I think I've updated all the drivers now. SeaTools Long Generic test was passed, but I'm still getting a BSOD (back to Unexpected Store Exceptions again).

Updating to the Creators Update was one of the first things I tried when I started to get BSODs (I don't know why I hadn't updated before, but removing the update might not do anything if the problem existed before, right?)

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 154, {ffffaf805bdb9000, ffffd281ba134050, 2, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup:     MachineOwner
Code:
PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  0x154_c0000006_c0000483_IMAGE_hardware_disk

Updating to the Creators Update was one of the first things I tried when I started to get BSODs (I don't know why I hadn't updated before, but removing the update might not do anything if the problem existed before, right?)
This is probably true

It does look like the issue lays with the HDD or SSD and it might be worth checking the smart data:
How to See If Your Hard Drive Is Dying with S.M.A.R.T.

Right click the SSD, click properties, Tools and then error checking.

Huh. I did an error check followed by a repair when I was prompted to. Now it clears the system assessment part of the Surface Diagnostics tool.

Now I guess I can only wait and see if the does something funny again. Uploaded a new W7F.

Edit: Scrap that. Assessment fouled up again. Just tons of "ERROR: no adapter for device".

Attachments

• W7F_13-06-2017 version 3.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 292
Well at least it prompted you to repair whatever was broken. Try running it again if a bsod should occur.

I didn't see any new dump files in your latest upload apart from ones already sent.

Back