Windows 7 Bluescreen - ATIKmpag.sys - Event Viewer ID - 41 Kernel Power

Manuel88

Hey first of all,

I've been getting bluescreens (most often) shortly after booting up and even if I managed to remain logged in for a longer period of time, they'd catch me eventually.

The Bluescreen Message:

"ATIkmpag.sys - adress FFFFF800480694 base at FFFFF8004800000, date stamp 4cc700d"

The exact codes tend to vary after each bsod, no idea if that is normal, but I thought of mentioning that.

After excessive googling the only thing I could come up with is it being a driver issue, so I deinstalled the catalyst driver -> reboot -> run safe mode -> run driver sweeper -> delete all ATI files, several times without any help.

Event Viewer gave me these kind of Event Types:

Critical:

Event ID - 41, Source - Kernel Power, Log - System, Last Hour - 4

Error:

Event ID - 6008, Source - EventLog, Log - System, Last Hour 4

Event ID - 7026, Source - Service Control Manager, Log - System, Last Hour - 4

Sadly I do not know anything about the Event Manager its meanings, so I'm hoping for assistance.

Other information:

Windows 7 64 Bit

GPU: ATI HD 4870 PCI-E

Graphic Driver - 10-10_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_enu (the most recent catalyst driver), also I've tried downgrading to 10-9 without any success.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel

Hi and welcome.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them and attach the zip to a post.

Alright, down to business heh. Gotta say that the video card is likely defective, over-heating or the psu is too weak for your system, as you're getting 0x116 tdr timeouts. We have some things to do though so let's start:

1) Update the motherboard bios to latest, from the manufacturer's site. Then go into the bios settings and Load the Optimized Defaults in there. Save.

2) Sptd.sys is notorious and must be removed. Uninstall Daemon Tools normally. Then use the installer/uninstaller found here to remove sptd.sys, being careful to click on Uninstall while using:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Reboot and update PowerISO and use it instead. Disc emulation is free forever:

SCDEmu SCDEmu.SYS Sun Nov 08 22:27:29 2009

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

3) Update the Realtek lan driver:

Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Aug 20 12:05:06 2009

Realtek

4) Definitely uninstall RivaTuner as the driver is ancient and probably is causing the tdr timeouts:

RivaTuner64 RivaTuner64.sys Tue Jul 17 15:13:42 2007

5) Update the video card driver:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Oct 26 12:49:17 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

6) Update Realtek HD Audio driver:

RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Nov 03 06:39:55 2009

Realtek

Run the program. Reboot. Run it again.

7) Your mouse driver has been responsible for crashes.

Code:
0: kd> lmvm lachesis
start             end                 module name
fffff880`05c3e000 fffff880`05c45500   Lachesis T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: Lachesis.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Lachesis.sys
    Image name: Lachesis.sys
    Timestamp:        Fri Oct 16 09:09:12 2009 (4AD87078)
    CheckSum:         0000C4B8
    ImageSize:        00007500
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Update the driver from Razer's site:

http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=76&pcid=0&nav=0

8) Uninstall Kaspersky then replace it with MSE, as this is the only way to be sure card is defective if errors are still happening.

Last edited:
Alright, so:

1) I do not understand anything about Bios updating other than it usually requiring a floppy drive or usb stick - sadly I do not own any of those. In case there is an other way please let me know.

Motherboard:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Rev1.1

2) I have no Daemon Tools (or at least not anymore?), however I did uninstall the Sptd.sys with your tool.

3) Done

4) Done

5) Read below

6) Done

7) I already have the latest Razer Lachesis Drivers including the firmware installed. There were no updates for a very long time so I can not do much about that.

8) I've uninstalled Kaspersky for MSE, though, how can I check about my card is defect with it. I never used it before, and therefor have no idea.

about 5) installing the latest card drivers, I did it after doing all of what I could mentioned above, however I got an other bsod.

As a sidenote I'd like to mention that while I do not have any driver installed, I am able to log into windows without getting any bsods at all, so the only time I get this atikmpag.sys bsod is when I reinstall any given catalyst driver to make my card function propperly.
Right now it is detected, but without drivers it can't do very much more than chatting and writing this little update (I had an other bsod while trying to write this with drivers installed).

Thanks a lot so far,

Manuel

EDIT: I Just managed to update my bios with some software called "@bios" from gigabyte, didn't know about it but I'm kinda glad I found it.
Now I went from F8 bios version to F11, reinstalled the catalyst driver, skipped the catalyst control center and just installed the display driver instead.
So far I had no bsod, hope it remains like that.

Manuel

Last edited:
Back