Windows 7 Boot from CD won't work in Windows 7

stef_ionesco

Honorable Member
I have installed Windows 7 on my PC. It's all work. Now I want to reinstall XP on other partition, to have both systems, but the â€Â￾boot from CDâ€Â￾ don't work. How can I install XP?

Could you give a couple more details. ? Do you mean if you try a raw boot, with the CD in the drive, it cannot access it? Or are you trying to run the CD from within Windows 7?

I have installed the new Windows 7 RC x86 build 7100 over my old XP.
Now I have only one OS, Windows 7.
I have prepared a new empty partition for install again the XP, for having both of them.
I like Windows 7 but my PC is an Pentium 4 at 2.4Gz, 2G RAM and with XP is faster.
So when I need some speed I prefer use my XP, when I want beauty to use 7.
The problem now is the classic boot from CD didn't work.
I go in BIOS, set the first boot on my CD-ROM, found the boot on the CD when it start, said like always "press any key to boot from CD" but even I press any key, didn't boot from CD and Windows 7 starts normaly.
So...
What can I do for having both?
The same problem will came up when 7 will expire and I will must to reinstall only the XP, but for formating I found a solution myself, there is no problem. This problem I have now I can't understand.
If somebody can help I will appreciate.

Respect

Stef Ionesco

stef_ionesco,

Try placing the DVD in the tray while in XP. navigate the the DVD in windows explorer, click on the DVD drive, and run setup.exe from there.

Make sure during the install you choose the correct partition to install to.

If you wish to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 RC than you have to make sure you install them in the proper order... ;) You have to install from old to new.. So the proper way would be to install Windows XP FIRST than Windows 7 RC SECOND.. The boot manager will configure itself as long as you install in the right order.. ;)

I would suggest you do a clean install of XP over top of the Windows 7 installation you just did.. then do a clean install of Windows 7 RC on a seperate partition.. You will then have a dual boot setup and as I said the boot manager will configure itself and you'll be presented with an OS Selection screen each time you boot up..

To configure the boot manager to your liking after you have both OS's installed here's a link for a great little app called EasyBCD.. It allows you to modify the boot manager to your liking very easily.. ;)

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

I will try to run setup.exe from the CD. I didn't think at this solution. And about the order... I should know it from the first time. Why didn't cross my mind neather this one. I must be tires.
Thanks guys. I will return with the news when I try all.

Respect

Stef Ionesco

The dual boot does not seem to be the problem here. If you still cannot get the CD to boot, after trying Reghakr's suggestion. (Insert the CD whilst in Windows 7, which I see you have installed succesfully), try this.
1. Have another look in the bios, and ensure you have selected the CD drive as first boot or, if you have more than one drive, you have the correct one selected.
2. Give the CD a good wipe with a dry soft cloth.
3. See if you can make another copy of the CD and retry.

You will, if succesful with the CD, find that you cannot dual boot. Download the program suggested by radenight, which will fix that for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dual-booting XP after Win7

As others mentioned, you HAVE to first install XP, then Win7 to get dual-boot.
I can't see WHY you would want to overwrite a working version of your OS before you know that a new OS works fine or not.
I tell all my clients to ALWAYS makea new partition (if you only have one hard disk) for the new OS (WIn7).

Then during installation, you make Win7 onto the new partition (say, E: if you already have D:).
When you finally get your dual boot AND you choose Win7, it will show up as C: under Windows (even if it was installed on E: in the beginning.

As others mentioned, you HAVE to first install XP, then Win7 to get dual-boot.
I can't see WHY you would want to overwrite a working version of your OS before you know that a new OS works fine or not.

I do it because I had to format my C:/. My old XP was fully of a lot of stuff and didn't work properly. And I though I must prove this Windows 7. And I did it. I like it as I say, but is not so fast as I like on my Pentium 4. Thats why I wanna return on XP, but I like to keep the 7 for a while. I like it.
Anyway, I will format everything again, I will install XP on C:/ and then install 7 on D:/. I hope will work.

Respect

Stef Ionesco

And so you have solved your problem? (Unable to boot from XP CD - if I read correctly?)

Back