Brain Teaser

Think this is a bit easier than my last one - How many squares are there on a standard 8 x 8 chessboard?

Well done! - for those who would like an explanation:

There are 8 x 8 individual squares = 64
There are 7 x 7 (2x2) squares = 49
There are 6 x 6 (3x3) squares = 36
There are 5 x 5 (4x4) squares = 25
There are 4 x 4 (5x5) squares = 16
There are 3 x 3 (6x6) squares = 9
There are 2 x 2 (7x7) squares = 4
There is 1 x 1 (8x8) squares = 1

So the total = 64+49+36+25+16+9+4+1 = 204

Next?

yehey...will post one.:redface:

a man in a white stripe shirt with a cat and two dogs where walking in a park 1/2 kilometers from his home they turn left at the end of the street after 100 meters, the two dogs barks at the cat for no reason. continue to walk another 50 meters,after reaching halfway.the cat runaway leaving the man and the 2 dogs, still the man and the 2 dogs continue to walk another 300 meters.at the 4th corner they stop.

whats the color of the man shirt?:redface:

Last edited:
Are you serious? :ahaha:

Old one, best one I could come up with at the moment lol.
There's a room. In the centre of this room is a table. On the floor there is shattered glass and water everywhere. The window is open and the curtains are billowing. Jack and Jill are dead on the floor. How did this happen?

Yep - nearly as old as me! The glass is from a shattered fish bowl - Jack and Jill were two fish in the bowl.

A lateral thinking puzzle - The timepiece that has the fewest number of moving parts is the sundial. Which timepiece has the greatest number of moving parts?

A worthy answer - if we count electrons as individual moving parts but the answer I had in mind is more mundane and the parts more tangible . . .

Another inspired answer but we're looking for a device which is designed solely and specifically for measuring the passage of time - (quite a mundane and old fashioned device).

That's the one I had in mind - well done (I hadn't imagined the number of intelligent possible answers which have been submitted!).

I've been teasing my brain trying to think of a Brain Teaser!!

The only one I can think of at the moment is relatively easy but caused 3 hours of debate / argument in my local one Sunday lunchtime.

If a hundred horses eat a hundred bales of hay in a hundred days. How many bales of hay will ten horses eat in ten days?

Last edited:
Back