Windows 8 Browser problems :(

OldTimer

Banned
One problem I'm having on Win-8/64 that I'm not having on Win-8/32 is that after I've installed Firefox and then Shockwave and Flash, my browsers are almost catatonic, UN-responsive and in some cases (I.E.) just lock up.

So far, I've determined that UN-installing Shockwave and Flash does improve the situation, but does not cure it 100%.

So if UN-Installing things does not completely fix things, then the only thing left to do is reinstall Win-8, test the browsers and then install one program at a time, testing the browsers after each install to see what program mucks them up.

I'm on Win-8/64 right now and using Firefox. It does work much better now, that I UN-installed both Shockwave and Flash.
I.E. is still in a coma!

I'll be back,
Doc :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I've now UN-installed everything that could possibly be affecting I.E.
It's still in a coma.

Now to just reinstall Win-8/64 and start again, from scratch.

see ya, in about an hour.

Hey Doc, Make your Image before installing either app so that the restoration is much quicker for your tests. (I suppose you already did this) I have Flash installed as well. Using IE 10 and Chrome as backup. IE 10 does not seem affected at all by Flash. Have not installed Shockwave. Don't see the need for that or Java at this time. I have not tried 32 Bit at all. Just 64 Bit. I assume that means I'm using 64 Bit IE 10 (About IE does not actually show like it does in Win 7) I do not see the problems you are seeing. My IE 10 seems faster than my IE 9 in Win 7.

Ok, I'm back.
The reinstall only took 13 minutes, including a re-format of C:.

I have Firefox, AVG, Spybot S&D all installed and both my browsers are still working just fine.
I just make a new restore point and now I have a few more programs to install. (with fingers crossed)

I'll be back,

Ted, you got your helmet on? Here they come!

Hey Doc, Make your Image before installing either app so that the restoration is much quicker for your tests. (I suppose you already did this) I have Flash installed as well. Using IE 10 and Chrome as backup. IE 10 does not seem affected at all by Flash. Have not installed Shockwave. Don't see the need for that or Java at this time. I have not tried 32 Bit at all. Just 64 Bit. I assume that means I'm using 64 Bit IE 10 (About IE does not actually show like it does in Win 7) I do not see the problems you are seeing. My IE 10 seems faster than my IE 9 in Win 7.

Ted, if you run IE from the icon block in Metro UI, it really comes up Hozed.
But if you run it from within the Desktop (icon in task tray) it comes up pretty much like we're used to.

I just installed "Flash" and I.E. is still working OK, but F.F. is acting very 'Hinky', seriously dalaying in loading this forum from the Bookmarks menu.
I think I found the problem!

OK! Un-installing Flash fixed the connecting problem with F.F.

Even though it's the 64 bit, NON-I.E. version of Flash, it doesn't appear to be ready for Win-8.

Although, the 32 bit version did work on Win-8/32 with no problems. Go figure!

To always use Desktop version of IE 10 do this:

IE10OnDesktopAlways.jpg

This will open IE 10 desktop view even from the Metro tile

As long as we're just testing and not depending on Win-8, doing a re-install when things go wonky, isn't a bad thing.
So I don't have to do that so often, I now have a shortcut to "System Restore" on my Desktop as well as a Ghost backup (x2) in my second partition.

Now I make only a few changes before I make another "Restore Point" and maybe even a Ghost backup, as long as everything is still working OK.
With some helpful posts from other forum members, I'm finally getting this thing beat down to size, rather than just sit here and gripe, like some are in the habit of doing.

Keep those helpful hints coming!
I do mention this forum Often, while working other HELP forums.

Cheers mates,
The Doctor :cool:

I did have a similar issue, mainly with webpages taking forever to load. I uninstalled & re-installed Firefox, tried disabling extensions, nothing worked. My other browsers (IE, Opera & Chrome) acted similar.

Turns out that my network driver (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller) was the underlying issue. After downloading the latest driver & unzipping it, I opened the Device Manager, selected the network controller, updated the driver, pointing it to the folder that I unpacked. After 30 seconds or so, my network driver was updated, and have had no problems since.

This may not be the answer for everyone, but if all installed browsers are having problems, the issue is likely to be a network one.

Cat

I've always felt, that if a driver worked one day, then it should still work the next day.
In thirty years, I've never fixed a computer by updating a driver. Maybe just dumb luck, as some would call it.

But when my own browsers started acting up, one day, I knew it had to be something I had installed after the last browser was installed.
Sure nuff, it wound up being the "Flash", that I had installed after Firefox.
I use it all the time, on every OS from XP-Home to Win-7/Ultimate/64, with narry a problem.

To totally fix the damage, I just re-installed Win-8/64 and all's working well again.

It's sort of amazing, how many different things can cause the same type of problems.

Cat, I'm glad you got your problem fixed.

Cheers!
:cool:

I'm not seeing that with Chrome, I have installed flash etc. and it's running at what I would call normal speeds.
Chrome has always seemed faster to me and it feels the same in Windows 8.

I just loaded 6 pages in 6 seconds, no lag at all.

Mike
Chrome is very fast. Both on Windows & Linux. I love it's sheer speed. It has an effective ad blocker. It's easy to transfer your bookmarks & other settings across home & work computers. The only thing that holds me back from using it full time is it's lack of a "No Script" option. Perhaps the best security option in a browser.

As long as Chrome isn't loaded to the gills with extensions, it's fast.

Cat

I see very little difference with IE 10 and Chrome in my setup. I like the way IE 10 displays things a little better so Chrome is still my backup browser.

Back