Windows 10 browsers in 10

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I've found that the fastest browser in Windows 10 is IE....I know, unbelievable! Firefox is slow to open and Chrome struggles to open. Firefox takes anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds to open up using default settings and now addon's. Chrome on the other hand takes anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds to open, again default settings and no addon's. Where as IE 11 damn near opens instantly....I must say it's a bit refreshing to see it preform so well.

Hi

After exhaustive testing, (I'm 76 and easily exhausted) I have to agree with Bassfisher on this one.
After repeated tries, and much to my surprise Internet Explorer opened twice as fast as Chrome on my computer.

Amazingly IE can open to my Comcast home page in (I used my stop watch) 1 second.
This is much faster then I've ever seen it before, in fact it couldn't open my Comcast home page at all on either of my Windows 8 computers.

By contrast Google Chrome took 2 seconds consistently to get to the same page.
By definition a half fast browser.

I'll say neither of these performed this well in Windows 8.
I don't know why they are so much better in 10 but it's nice.

I'll add that I was having issues with Chrome opening slowly in Windows 10 and some research suggested that I should tun off
"Automatically detect setting" in Advanced LAN Settings".
This eliminated the lag completely.

Mike

Hmm strange... Mike are you using a SSD or SATA drive? When I open either IE or Chrome they open more or less exactly the same time. I'm using an SSD and just wondered if that's perhaps why i'm seeing a difference to you guys results.

Same with me, kemical. I can't really time them. ordinary HD. For the discussion, I used the comcast home page I cant really time them. Less than a second for both, I would guess.
If you are interested, Maxthon is ranked top right at this moment. Almost identical to Chrome - same comment regarding its comparative speed.

Hi guys

I just tried it again, same results, 1 second for IE, 2 seconds for Chrome.
Not that the time makes any real difference, neither of these worked this well in either Windows 7 or 8.

I have no idea why other then this being a really fresh install that hasn't had everything installed and reinstalled many times.

On that note, I have learned some things, that I will carry forward.

When I do my real clean install of Windows 10, I will do what I've done with TP, and that's make a system image every day or two for a while until I have it completely set up.

I've already restored my Windows 10 install 3 time after making bad decisions, and it's kept my install clean and un messed up.

I was able to rectify installing Media Center (which messed up my sound) and when a game install went sideways I was able to just restore and start over.

I never did this before but it has saved me a lot of grief already with 10.

Mike

PS, I'm not running an SSD, just a pair of normal 7200 rpm Western Digital Black hard drives.

Back
Top Bottom