Windows 7 BSOD ~2 times/day

Aruane

Greetings. Recently I had to re-install my OS, and 2 weeks later I was getting unexpected BSODs'. I'm out of any clue what may be causing them.

In \windows I have MEMORY.DMP which is over 120megabytes, and MEMORYCOMPLETE.DMP which is over 2gigabytes. However the \minidump folder is empty. I've checked the sysdm.cpl and everything is as ickymay says it should be.

I'm aware that Daemon Tools is common in causing BSOD's, however, I only used it once and since then it's completely disabled.

View attachment W7F_22-04-2013.zip

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
There are enough signs here that that I have to wonder about this installation. Should this be a pirated copy of Windows, please be aware that we may not be able to fix it (as the hacks that were done to activate it will cause the OS to behave differently than we expect it to). If that's the case, our efforts to help may just waste your time. Secondly, the forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software - so the topic would be closed if that is the case.

Please zip up and upload the MEMORY.dmp file to a free file-hosting service and post a link to it here.

Disabling Daemon Tools is no good as the problem driver still loads. Here's the procedure that I suggest:
Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen dtsoftbus01.sys blamed on several occasions).
Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration): [DEL] DuplexSecure - FAQ [/DEL] Link broken as of 21 Jul 2012
New link (15 Aug 2012): DuplexSecure - Downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link: Disc-Tools.com
Manual procedure here: Registry and SPTD problems | DAEMON Pro Help

SP1 isn't installed, please do the following:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates (may take repeated visits)
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates. May take repeated visits, but keep it up until you get several "Windows is updated" results.
If you're having difficulties with installing a Service Pack, please use the SURTool from this link: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Also, check out this troubleshooting link from Microsoft: Troubleshoot problems installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I have had limited success in installing updates/Service Packs when using a "clean boot". I suspect that I'm just bypassing the problem - and that it can come back to bite me in the butt later on.

There are problems with these devices:
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_6101&SUBSYS_610111AB&REV_B1\4&97BC3A7&0&00E1 This device is disabled.
PCI Simple Communications Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_514D8086&REV_02\3&18D45AA6&0&18 The drivers for this device are not installed.
ATA Channel 0 PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&14DDF8&0&0 This device is disabled.
ATA Channel 4 PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&14DDF8&0&4 This device is disabled.
ATA Channel 5 PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&14DDF8&0&5 This device is disabled.
The second item is most likely an Intel Management Engine(ME)/Host Embedded Controller Interface (HECI) device - please install the drivers for it. As for the disabled devices, please enable them and then update their drivers.

There are no clear signs of BSOD activity in the WER section of MSINFO32 - as such I have to wonder about other low-level BSOD events (other than Daemon Tools). Please start with these free hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics

Hello Usama and thank you for your reply. I'm currently reading your comment while I just received 2 BSOD's. This time I got minidumps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75261985/Dumps.zip The minidumps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75261985/MEMORY.7z memory.dmp

As for the Windows, it got it with one of my laptops 3 years ago, I also have Windows Vista as well from 5 years ago.
Uninstalled daemon tools and installed all available updates throughout Windows Update.(Yesterday after I posted).

"Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system"

Uninstall is greyed out and the tool is saying no such driver has been found.

I saw problems caused by the ATA channels in the Event viewer but it was stated as an ID and I didn't know which was it so I disabled them.

A week ago I was looking for Audio drivers for my on-board sound card, I'm afraid the latest are for vista only, so I gave up looking for drivers for my mainboard. I will still go to intel and see what's available for my mainboard, after installing SP1 under safe mode.

Edit: After some struggling(of course ~_~), SP1 was installed, but it's already late enough so I will leave the driver check for tomorrow.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just FYI - if you installed Windows from one laptop on another laptop - then that's a violation of the EULA and the installation is illegal.

If the free tool didn't offer to un-install the sptd.sys driver, then it's probably not there. Don't worry about it for now.

Problems with the ATA channel could be related to your hard drive. One of the memory dumps suggests that there's a hardware problem with one of your hard drives. OR it could be that the disabled ATA channels are causing a problem.
1) Re-enable the ATA channels and the IDE controller
2) Please install the Intel Management Engine(ME)/Host Embedded Controller Interface (HECI) device. Look for the latest version at http://downloadcenter.intel.com
3) Run these free diagnostics on your system: Initial Hardware Diagnostics I would start with the hard drive test first.

Hello. The laptop is resting into pieces in my backyard. Literally. =)

I've just re-installed. Going to look for the drivers and in the meantime installing updates. If anything occurs I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom