Windows 7 bsod after win7 updates

awesome

Once again, I got a BSOD after auto-install of (19) win 7 updates today (at restart after installation of the updates). I am always up-to-date so it must be the new Tuesday-update-day-Updates of yesterday. Had it a couple of months ago when it was announced that win 8.1 crashed after win updates, my win 7 crashed too. So, I got lucky yet once again. Fortunately I was able to finally overcome it by a manual system restore, but how annoying, it always makes me very nervous.
Thanks, Bill. I hate you. No, really. (you know that in this place you're going after passing away, you have to order everything, yes, Everything, by using the only 1 computer there is, running on windows 95...?)

arnoud

Hi,
please read the thread found here:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

The above will explain what we need to see in order to help you best. Also please ensure your settings are the same as this for dump file creation:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Thanks for your help.
And wow, I read the thread. I can try to make it happen.
_ But_, does is still make sense to perform all these steps, as I did a system restore, after which windows auto-installed 18 (before: 19) updates. So, now everything seems to be working again?

See how you go but you could always change your settings to the ones outlined above and if you do bsod then send it it in.

Okay, I will, thanks!
But what I don't understand: if I do get a bsod again, how can I surpass this, so I'll be able to start windows again and then run the diagnostic tools to post it in my forum topic?

Well normally a bsod happens once and then you reboot. Sometimes you will get a situation where the users cannot boot into windows because of a constant bsod. In this case one can try either safe mode or booting from the Windows install media and performing a repair.

Back
Top Bottom