Windows 7 BSOD at startup, win76 64bit, repair doesn't work

Nomad of Norad

Extraordinary Member
Okay, this past day I have repeatedly had BSOD at startup. I let it try to do a repair/restore, but it tells me it can't repair. Attached are the W7F and CPU-Z output. (RAMMon gave error: Unable to load DirectIO driver.)

Attachments

• CPU-Z screengrab 20150415.png
    CPU-Z screengrab 20150415.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 386
  • W7F_15-04-2015.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 327
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88006409722, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for emBDA64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for emBDA64.sys
Probably caused by : emBDA64.sys ( emBDA64+9722 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have a number of different bugchecks which mainly fall into two groups. One group blames a part of the Windows sub system from crashing and the other blames the above driver and USB related issues:

emBDA64.sys Fri Sep 12 07:21:35 2008: USB 28xx OEM Filter (TV Card) ATI chipset. You need to update this driver or if you don't use it anymore remove it:
http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62.../Driver/tabid/123/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Also are you running Avast Av as well as AVG Av? I can see entries for both anti virus apps in the driver stack and i would consider removing one.

Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 16 05:39:50 2012: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Nov 20 11:10:14 2012: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Your Audio is also disabled did you know this?

You also have Bios updates available:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/970A-G46.html#down-bios

Update the above and see how you go. Post any new dump files.

Well, the audio was disabled that occasion because I had to boot into safemode to get past the BSOD and run those analisers. Speaking of safemode, I've found if I'd booted into safemode the previous occasion, I can get all the way booted without BSODing. On the other hand, this day I had gotten all the way to desktop (I'd simply shut down last night after the above), started launching my usual Thunderbird (which has a lot of mailboxes in it), and then Firefox (which has a lot of pinned tabs), when suddenly BOOM! BSOD

Another issue I've been noting of late is that, often at startup (bot not always) I'll hear for a few moments a flurry of device-is-disconnected and device-is-connected sounds in rapid succession, as if I were rapidly plugging in and taking out a USB device. This settles down after a bit. Well, THIS time I got that flurry of disconnect/reconnect sounds later on instead, some moments after I'd gotten all the way to desktop, and shortly before I started launching things. It was still doing that this time when the machine BSOD'd.

Oddly, it seems to have rebooted fine after that. oO THIS time I didn't get the flurry of disconnect-reconnect-disconnect sounds. I haven't dared launch Thunderbird or Firefox so far this session, though. I have SkypeLauncher (renamed Launcher for Skype) which launches 3 different Skype sessions a measured delay after startup, for some reason this occasion, one of those sessions froze up at the login stage, so I killed that one from Task Manager.

Anyway, attached is a fresh W7F zip.

Attachments

• W7F_15-04-2015 (2).zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 339
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88002216722, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for emBDA64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for emBDA64.sys
Probably caused by : emBDA64.sys ( emBDA64+9722 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
judging by what you wrote above, my comments in the first post and the above dump file then again I would either update or remove this driver:
emBDA64.sys Fri Sep 12 07:21:35 2008: USB 28xx OEM Filter (TV Card) ATI chipset. You need to update this driver or if you don't use it anymore remove it:
http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62.../Driver/tabid/123/language/en-US/Default.aspx

The above driver belongs to a USB device? This is perhaps what you could hear connecting and then disconnecting. In any case remove it and see if the bsod stops.

Okay, I've disconnected the USB TV device. It was PCTV HD 800e or something close to that, according to my installed devices pane. I'm still getting the drivers collected and sorted. I have about all of them, but the RealTek page suggests I go to my motherboard's manufacturer for a better, more specific-to-that drivers. Also, for some reason, one of the zips I downloaded this evening, one called 7693v26.zip, when I try to open it from Windows Explorer it tells me "Windows cannot open the folder. The Compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:\Users\David\Downloads\7693v36.zip' in invalid." The zip is 289 KB. I have not been able to figure out which drivers place that came from, because all the others when I go to re-download, show up as a different name. oO

Incidentally, there was a banner ad in this thread pointing me to some auto-repair-after-a-BSOD thing, which yielded a program named PCHeathBoost-setup.exe there. What do you know about that, and would it help to run that instead of manually adding these?

----addendum: Okay, figured out it was the bios, and have redownloaded it. That one opens.

Last edited:
Well, I restarted the machine without incident, or BSOD, after disconnecting the TV device and leaving it that way. Windows wanted to do an update, which it's been trying to do for the last day or two but getting thwarted by the blue screen, and which it has now done successfully. I let it do that update, and it got all the way completed with it and booted into a new session. I haven't done anything about installing the driver updates yet, though. I'm grabbing the onboard audio drivers now. I might try installing the new drivers later, if there's more issues, but right now I have other fish to fry.

Sounds good... As long as you do the updates at some point then your system will thank you for it. It does sound like you've got the culprit so fingers crossed.. Any problems then of course post back.

Back