Windows 7 BSOD BCCode 0x124 please help!

Tesues

Hello. I've had these BSOD's for weeks, where i would crash after playing games, screen goes black with stuttering sound and then i get Hyper Transport Sync Flood error. WhoCrashed shows BCCode 124, and bluescreen viewer thatntskrnl.exe is the culprit. I'm not overclocking since I'm not into that, I've tried many sets of drivers, with clean reinstalls using driver sweeper in safe mode, run memtest, cooling is decent i guess, under load, my temps are 50-51, and in idle 25-30, have no ideas left why is this happening, its frustrating. My specs are:

MSI 770 G-45
AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8Ghz
Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
ATI HD5770 1GB DDR5
Chieftec CFT-600-14cs 600W

this was custom built pc, its around 5 years old, but i had no problems like this till last few weeks. Also, sometimes i have graphic artifacts in games, when there are many lines jumping out of textures, but thats solved as soon as i restart pc, and they are not back for few days.Thx in advance!

Attachments

• W7F_17-12-2015.zip
    1 MB · Views: 278
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8004d977b8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as your aware your dump files are all bugcheck 124. This can mean a fatal hardware error occurred and usual culprits stem from heat (usually from overclocking or dust build up), failing hardware and corrupt or out of date drivers. I've even seen this bugcheck to be caused by an out of date flash player so do make sure things like browsers are updated.
Check that the inside of the machine is free from dust and if need be remove any build up.

As you describe seeing artifacts whilst gaming then that could the source of the issue. Artifacts can be caused by bad Vram and/or overheating.
Please run this test for the gpu's Vram:
HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES

See if the gpu will run Furmark stability test:
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Please update the chipset drivers. These are found the same way you find gpu drivers on the AMD website although are found under 'optional downloads':
Legacy

What is the gpu's temperature like when running at full load?

Please update on the results from the above

Hello, and thanks for reply. GPU's tempterature while running at full load is 54-57 celsius. As for this vram test, I'll do it tonight and post the results. So, does this mean my chipset drivers are not updated? I've already downloaded exactly the same ones from the link here, but when I started install manager, it showed like it installs just some random things and not chipset drivers, more like usb filter and things like that. I'll reinstall drivers for gpu and chipset tonight aswell.

I've run vram test, completed after 1h, reported 0 errors, FurMark run for 40 minutes, no crashes, max temperature was 61 celsius at GPU usage 99%. I've reinstalled both chipset and display drivers using DDU, and will see during the rest of the day and tommorow if BSOD will occur again and update if something changes.

Thanks for the update. Please post any new dump files if you should need to reply.

So, for 2 days I've done all normal things like i would usually do and get crash, and i didn't have them, and i had no artifacts, and today, i had artifacts in game, i restarted pc, they were gone, after 1-2h later i had crash again. I'll attach newest dump file.

Attachments

• 121915-14343-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 235
Code:

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8002c9c038, 0, 0}

Hi,
as you can see same as before regarding dump file. Looking through the drivers I found this:
AtiPcie64.sys Wed Mar 10 14:33:45 2010: AMD PCIE Filter Driver. As you can see the date is pretty old. Try doing a search to see if you can find it.

Hmmm, im confused about this. I've googled something and it said that this driver can't be updated over install manager, but that it has to be updated manually over device manager and then browsing for the driver in ATI package, but when i find the driver in the device manager, it says that its already up to date, so I can't install it. Also, since im using 15.7 drivers, it says that this driver 3GIO PCIE filter driver is not supported for the drivers above V12.1. So maybe i should remove driver at all? I really have no clue, im not good with these things :(

EDIT: Ok, I've updated drivers, and will wait if crash happens again and send dump file, thx for the help

Last edited:
Hi,
sorry i was out for most of the afternoon. Good to hear you managed to get it updated so nice job there.

If you should get another bsod please post the dump file.

Hi. Happened again 10 minutes ago while i was playing League of Legends. Here's dump file.

EDIT: I've noticed that this dump file in bluescreen viewer also shows except ntoskrnl.exe now shows dump_ataport.sys in red color, i think that was labeled red in one previous dump too.Screenshot here is screenshot of the bsod and it blames dump_atiport.sys

EDIT2: I was curious and opened the dump file in windows debugger and saw that it says the same

and seeing this
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
i would say drivers are the problems, i run command for drivers, and i can see alot of them beeing from 2009, 2010 year, even the one Atipcie64.sys that was from 2010, and that i updated via device manager yesterday, and said its up to date, in this dump file it says wednesday 2010...I'm so confused :(

Attachments

• 122115-14750-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8004e958f8, 0, 0}

EDIT: I've noticed that this dump file in bluescreen viewer also shows except ntoskrnl.exe now shows dump_ataport.sys in red color, i think that was labeled red in one previous dump too.Screenshot here is screenshot of the bsod and it blames dump_atiport.sys
This is why I asked you to update your chipset drivers especially the SATA/AHCI driver. I posted the link above. In fact checking the motherboard support page there are some later versions here (2014):
MSI Global. In fact update as much as you can including bios.

EDIT2: I was curious and opened the dump file in windows debugger and saw that it says the same

All this means is that the issue originated from an AMD component as opposed to an Intel one. It doesn't tell us why it crashed.
Bugcheck 124
This type of bugcheck can be caused by numerous things as i explained above. You need to check everything, go through the system with a fine toothcomb and make sure everything is updated.
In fact the actual type of Bugcheck 124 you have is called a machine check exception.
Normal causes for MCE errors include overheating and/or incorrect hardware installation. Specific manually-induced causes include:
  • overclocking (which normally increases heat-output)
  • poorly-fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with excessive dust in the CPU fan)
  • an overloaded internal or external power-supply (fixable by upgrading)
Computer software can also cause MCE errors (normally by corrupting data which programs read or write). For example, software performing read or write operations from or to non-existent memory regions can lead to confusion for the processor and/or the system bus.[citation needed] Accessing memory marked off-limits by UEFI may cause MCE errors.[3]
Reference:

I went back to your original zip file and checked the drivers and indeed many are very old. In fact looking at the dump file I'd have said that Service pack 1 for windows 7 was missing but looking at the systems number it looks installed. Do you use windows update?
It also looks like you have AMD's Overdrive installed? If so please remove as this can cause bsod's.

Try installing the Service pack again as your drivers simply don't look right. All those drivers which are dated 2009 should be dated 2012 especially if the service pack is installed... Odd.

Here's the link for the service pack, if it's already installed try a repair:
Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Run a chkdsk:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Look in the start menu for command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results. This will, if possible, repair corruption within the os.

If the bsod continues after the above changes then try the driver verifier. If it causes a bsod loop on start up boot into safe mode and turn it off.
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Lastly the fact that you see artifacts during gaming does not bode well especially if the card is not overheating. Is it possible you could check the card in a friends machine?

Hi. This morning I've done chkdsk and sfc /scannow, and it showed no corruption. I've also enabled driver verifier, it's running few hours now, I didn't have bsod on start up, and I'm doing things i usually do that would cause bsod, so I guess i'll just wait, and see. I could try service pack repair, but does that mean that I need to disable driver verifier first?

Ah right, sry, I didn't sleep whole night, lost focus :D At the moment, I can't try it in another machine, i might be able to saturday/sunday, and yeah, i use windows update and it's up to date, except the one that i don't want to install, since it puts windows 10 icon in tray and reminds me all the time i can upgrade for free, while I prefer to stay on windows 7, i belive its KB3035583.

Thanks for the update.. :) Hope all goes well with the testing and I'll await your next reply.

Alright, I'll disable driver verifier, run service pack just in case, update all things from MSI support i can, and then enable driver verifier again and hope for the best. Thanks for the help! :)

Just wanted to update, service pack was already installed, was no need for it, and since i run driver verifier, he is on since sunday/monday, and i didnt have any bsod till now, while still doing same things like always, i hope it's gone for good :)

I'd disable the driver verifier then. The scans you ran earlier may have corrected the corruption but in any case if you should bsod again please post the dump file.

Back
Top Bottom