Windows 8 BSOD Cause by Nostkrnl.exe

I have been having a problem for a while with BSOD and i have made sure that all the hardware is working correctly and that all the drivers are up to date. Also it happens completely randomly and not after any particular process. I have uploaded my dump files so any help would be extremely appreciated!, thanks in advance - Corey

Attachments

• W7F_16-06-2014.zip
    550.7 KB · Views: 296
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80098ee518, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files are the same as above and Bugcheck 124 means a fatal hardware error has occurred. This can be brought on by overheating, overclocking. old bios or a faulty processor.
Unfortunately I couldn't get the information from the dump files on your bios and processor speed, as well as the unloaded driver list. This could be down to your system settings but in any case please ensure your settings are like this:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

If your overclocking please return to default values until source of bsod is discovered.
Check your processor temp when stressed by using this app:
http://www.hwinfo.com/
This app is good for stressing the cpu:
http://www.mersenne.org/download/
Use the torture test contained within.

Check your system Bios is the latest version. This app will help you find your motherboard and Bios version:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

This thread explains what info we need and even has an app which will collect some of it for you:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

Post any new dump files.

If you can post any of the new dump files now that the settings have been changed then great.

Did you check on system temps?

I did change those settings and here are the other files you asked for i hope this helps you help me resolve this issue! - Corey

Attachments

• My PC info.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 289
Could be his processor is bad, the dump seems to mention AMD specifically..

MODULE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

IMAGE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE_PRV

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE_PRV

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi Corey,
thanks for the info as it did help me find at least some info on your system. As we've seen all your dump files point to the processor as the cause. This could be because there is something wrong with the actual processor or other factors. We need to perform some tests to try and determine if it is the cpu or those other factors..
Overheating.
Please check your temperatures especially when the CPU is stressed. This app will help you monitor the temperatures.
http://www.hwinfo.com/
You could of course just wait until you stress test later to monitor the temps.
The AMD chip your using won't like temps above 65c/70c so be aware and if when stress testing later it's obvious your going way past that temp then stop.
Out of date Bios.
I checked the info you sent and your motherboard is this one:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov
Now the current Bios version looks like it's 'Version:FA' and depending on your motherboard revision you may have further updates. You'll have to look on the actual motherboard itself to see if you have version/revision 4.1 or 5.0. If it's revision 5.0 then you have the latest update. 4.1 however does have Bios updates pending so do check.
Faulty processor.
Usually to test if a CPU is running ok it's put through a stress test meaning that it will be tested up to 100% load. If a CPU can do that without crashing or overheating then it's generally considered sound. A number of apps are around that will stress the CPU but the best known and probably the easiest to use is Prime95. It's actually an app to find prime numbers but contains a torture test for cpu's. It's much favored by overclockers because you know if your CPU/system can run Prime95 then it can pretty much run anything.
Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

This guide is taken from the Overclockers forum:

HOW TO USE PRIME95 EFFECTIVELY

First, install the program as you would any other. Next, run it, and go to the ‘Advanced’ tab – select ‘Password’. Type in the password 9876 and enter it. Now go back to the ‘Advanced’ tab, and select ‘Priority’. Set the priority level to 10.

This effectively gives all of your system resources to Prime95 when it is running – now any processes running hidden in the background won’t be able to steal work time from Prime95, ensuring the most effective stress test possible.

At the very bottom of this post, a picture has been uploaded to further clarify Priority Ten setup for Prime95.

When you want to stress test your processor, run Prime95, go to the ‘Options’ tab, and select ‘Torture Test’. Run the Torture test at the default settings.

Make sure that you have turned off any screensavers, and closed all other applications when Prime95 is running.

Prime95 should never be run in tandem with any other stress testing programs, period. Prime95 is known and proven to be most effective when run by itself, and is less thorough when used with something else running at the same time. If you use Motherboard Monitor Five to monitor your temperatures, you should turn the interval time way down – 60 seconds is appropriate.

If you have an Intel processor with Hyper Threading, you need to run two instances of Prime95 for complete effectiveness. This is proven fact; in that two instances of Prime95 will catch instability that one instance won’t, on an Intel machine with HT. In order to run two instances simultaneously, simply install a second copy of Prime95 in a different folder, and run it in tandem with your original. Priority ten should be used for both instances of Prime95 in this case.

When you are stability testing with Prime95, you want to run the Torture Test for at least 24 hours. Why 24 hours?

There is a very common misconception that if your machine can pass Prime95 stability testing for, say, four hours, your machine will be able to run stable, regardless of what you are doing, for four hours as well, without issue. This is simply not the case.

Prime95 often finds errors in its 16th - 20th hour of testing, a potential for instability that wasn’t found after only four hours of testing. After only four hours of Prime95, the potentialfor instability still exists. 24 hours is widely viewed as a sufficient time period to catch any instability that may be present, but by all means test longer if you are able.

If 24 hours seems like an extraordinarily long time to leave your computer on, keeping your machine unusable because of the processes it’s doing, try running Prime95 overnight, and then through to all day while you’re at school or work.

For CPU specific testing, a Large FFT Prime95 test is an alternative to the more "system-stress" oriented Blend test that runs by default. The choice is ultimately up to the end user - the Blend test is reccomended in these guidelines because of it's qualities as both a processor and system stress test.

That’s all there is to Prime95 – 24 hours of Prime95 at Priority ten is "certified stable", and ready to rock for 24/7 use.

Ref:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335813

If you have completed the above and everything passed but you still have a bsod then test your RAM. Download the latest version of memtest here:
http://www.memtest.org/
Why test the RAM? Well we are just trying to cover all the bases and go for the most obvious culprits.(Even brand new RAM can be bad)
This guide although old will explain how best to test your RAM.
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Please post your results from the above.

After looking at the error info in parameter 2, most certainly this is related to the processor. Check that your CPU's fan is running correctly, remove and re-seat the processor, and see if that helps.

Code:
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa800848c8f8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id     : 01cf8b0dd89cbcad
Severity      : Fatal (1)
Length        : 928
Creator       : Microsoft
Notify Type   : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp     : 6/18/2014 15:56:29 (UTC)
Flags         : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0     : Processor Generic
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848c978
Section       @ fffffa800848ca50
Offset        : 344
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity      : Fatal

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : Cache error
Operation     : Generic
Flags         : 0x00
Level         : 3
CPU Version   : 0x0000000000600f20
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1     : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848c9c0
Section       @ fffffa800848cb10
Offset        : 536
Length        : 128
Flags         : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id        : 20 0f 60 00 00 08 06 00 - 0b 32 98 3e ff fb 8b 17
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0  @ fffffa800848cb10

Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848ca08
Section       @ fffffa800848cb90
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264

Error         : DCACHELG_WR_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xf300000200190127

After looking at the error info in parameter 2, most certainly this is related to the processor. Check that your CPU's fan is running correctly, remove and re-seat the processor, and see if that helps.

Code:
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa800848c8f8
Record Id     : 01cf8b0dd89cbcad
Severity      : Fatal (1)
Length        : 928
Creator       : Microsoft
Notify Type   : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp     : 6/18/2014 15:56:29 (UTC)
Flags         : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0     : Processor Generic
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848c978
Section       @ fffffa800848ca50
Offset        : 344
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : Cache error
Operation     : Generic
Flags         : 0x00
Level         : 3
CPU Version   : 0x0000000000600f20
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1     : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848c9c0
Section       @ fffffa800848cb10
Offset        : 536
Length        : 128

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id        : 20 0f 60 00 00 08 06 00 - 0b 32 98 3e ff fb 8b 17

Proc. Info 0  @ fffffa800848cb10

Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor    @ fffffa800848ca08
Section       @ fffffa800848cb90
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264

Error         : DCACHELG_WR_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xf300000200190127

You could of course just do as I suggested and check your temps first and if need be then check on heatsink, fan and TiM re-application.....

When did you have the hardware checked Corey and by whom? The reason i ask is because it may have developed a fault in the meantime.... Also why did you ask them to check the machine?

I had my hardware checked be the manufacturer, as it is under warranty. I had it checked because of the blue screen errors and the probability of it being hardware. When it went the mother board was faulty and they fixed it. However it did not fix the blue screens. So i decided to make a post on here. - Corey

Corey if the machine is still under warranty then I'd contact the manufacturer again and if need be show them this post. I assume you sent the whole machine back and they either repaired or replaced the motherboard? Unfortunately this hasn't cured the issue and either the CPU or motherboard has a possible fault. I'm worried that if you start messing with it you will negate what warranty you have left.
We can only tell you what the dump files are telling us and both Josephur and myself have pointed out that the processor, for whatever reason, is at fault.

If you really don't want to go back to the manufacturer follow my guidelines in post #9. Please be aware that when testing the RAM removing any modules could invalidate your warranty. You could always check and see what actually does invalidate the warranty as it will be written somewhere.. Usually the warranty itself I guess.
Whatever you decide if you need any help just ask.

Before I get it checked again, is there anything else at all I could possibly do that does not involve taking it back? If there is could it be in terms that a noob would understand?

You could always check the temperatures. Follow my post #9 concerning overheating. This way if we/you could get some idea what's wrong you'll know if they fixed it next time.....

I would remove and reseat the processor, believe it or not it may be that simple...

Back