Windows 7 BSOD fault PC woe

eboni

For the past 3 weeks I have been having BSOD's I have tried to repair my PC, to no avail, even tried to restore. While trying to restore I received errors about my disk, so I perfomed a chkdsk /r operation twice and second time around I received no disk errors, tried to restore again, and recieved more errors. You can guess now i was suspecting a hardware error and as the main BSOD before log in was a memory management one I suspected my RAM. I had a disk of ubuntu, which has memtest86+ 2.0, which i tried to use. I ran it for about 10 minutes and it gave me about tens of thousands oif errors, so i exchanged my RAM for ones I knew to be working. After the RAM swap i was stil experiencing the same BSOD and the inability to log into vista in any mode. I then tried the obligatory reinstall of vista but the reinstall would not complete properly and froze a lot of the time, or gave a missing file error message. I then bought a new hard disk thinking that this may have been the issue. I installed the new hard disk drive, and installed windows 7 second time lucky, and vista successfully. Although vista was buggy as I could not install any hardware, like my wireless adapter, windows 7 ran smoothly, and i was able to install some hardware before I restarted and received the same BSOD(memory management), after this I was unable to log back in to either of them. I have tried repairing removing and reseating my RAM, SATA connections, PCI express cards, even my CPU cooler, I have also given my PC a good clean and many positive vibes, as you can tell this hasnt really worked. Ok after this massive wall o' text so big you can see it from space has anyone got any ideas as to what the issue could be?
PC specs:

• Phenom X4 9500
  • OCZ 4gb (brand new)
  • Asrock NF5-SLI-1394
  • gigabyte GT8800 gt
  • Samsung F1 1 TB (brand new)

Hi,

thanks for the detailed history, it helps a great deal.

I'll start with the obvious.. Bios updates? Have you checked you've got the latest revision?

In fact, when the BSOD started were you doing anything in particular? Had you installed or downloaded anything?
Are all your fans still running eg graphics card. As you well know, overheating can lead to blue screens.
Lastly. for now, what is the size of your PSU? If it is too small power wise it can give you the symptoms that you describe.....

I have the latest version of my bios, I wasnt doing anything in particular and all my fans, including my graphics card fans are operational, and my system is under 40 centigrade. Ah the PSU on the other hand is only 500W, but i have not changed anything to my system and have had a dual card SLI set-up before removing it and giving it back to my brother :(.
So what do you think?

How fast is the RAM your using? Also is it definately compatible with your mobo?.... What I mean is, Some OCZ RAM likes to run at 1.9-2.00v with some mobo's only pumping out 1.8v. So you have to change the settings in the bios to suit the RAM..

Sorry if these questions sound a bit 'out there' but I'm just trying to cover the most obvious...

It might be worth stripping the mobo from the case and checking that nothing is shorting the motherboard out. This also gives you the chance to make sure all the connections are together properly.

running at 800MHZ, it using 1.8MHZ, ill try to up it, and tell you the result. Oh and ive already checked the mobo, and from first look everything looks OK.

altered the voltage...and no change had 2 memory-management bsods....grrrr

running at 800MHZ, it using 1.8MHZ, ill try to up it, and tell you the result. Oh and ive already checked the mobo, and from first look everything looks OK.

You mean it's running at 1.8v?

I check the OCZ site and the default setting is 1.8v so no problems there..

This really is an elusive problem and needs some thinking time dedicated to it.. I'll post back later hopefully with more suggestions..

yeah sorry its running at 1.8v...grrr i need sleep instead of just worrying.
Thanks for taking some time, i really appreciate it :)

Hi eboni,

I've been doing some googling to see if any light could be shed on this problem. This first link has causes of blue screens and some associated error messages. You may see something that gives you a clue as to where we should be looking:

Bsod Error & It's Causes

Here's the 'wiki' for BSOD, again, might contain clues..

Blue Screen of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More of the same:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Please let me know how you get on and if you need further help....:)

Back