Windows 7 BSOD - Memory believed to be at fault; need to and cannot boot flashdrive with Memtest86+

mondair99

Hello, and thanks for noticing my thread.

The symptoms of my computer are as listed:
I have experienced a BSOD pertaining to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (I don't really know what this means?)
I have examined a thread on this forum,
BSOD - Win 7 64 Bit - MEMORY MANAGEMENT
in the hopes of finding a solution to my ever-worsening problem.

Another of my symptoms is that my computer is able to start, but it seems that it only powers on. When this happens, it sometimes makes extended beeping noises, like long then short beeps, or repeated short beeps, when usually, when my computer is in working order, it will make one short beep upon loading the Gateway logo. Once, I managed to get it to boot in Safe Mode, but once it had been booted for about 2 minutes, it spluttered to a dead halt, and began displaying its current symptoms, some of which were being shown before the Safe Mode booting.

My computer is a Gateway LX6200-01 Personal Computer running Windows 7, with 8GB of stock DDR2 RAM, (some of which I believe to be faulty after 6 years of intensive use) with an AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad-core, with each core operating at 2.2GHz. It's also got lots of bits and bobs that if you ask me about, I might be able to specify upon.

I cannot get the computer to boot to the point where Boot Options are available. If I could, I'd be running Memtest right now, and not using a forum.

In my situation, I get BSOD's at any given time, most recently when I was watching a YouTube video at 720p. I figured that wouldn't be a big deal for my computer, as the internet bandwidth is pretty high (around 20Mbps) and the computer is high in its class.

I've experienced many BSOD's over the years with this PC, mostly when playing memory-intensive games like Spore, but RuneScape has caused it to crash a time or two. Typically, however, they appear when I do something browser-based, like YouTube, or Gmail/Facebook. Also, I'm pretty keen about closing programs when I'm not using them, so there aren't many background applications running. When there's a program running, it's because I'm using it.

Help is appreciated; this is a family computer and this household would love it to be running again soon.

Regards, well wishes, and good luck,
mondair99

Your system has hardware failure for sure. The beep code it's giving when it fails is a POST hardware check code that is telling you of a hardware failure. You will need to consult that system's manual for the POST/beep code list to determine what hardware it's telling you is bad. There is no standardized beep codes for POST, so any system model can change what their beep codes mean, which is why you will need to look at your system's manual specifically to determine what it is.

Your system has hardware failure for sure.

I believe that the hardware at fault was a RAM chip. After running for six years, it must've fried somewhere along the path.

I deducted that it must've been that piece of RAM after running Memtest86+ 4.20 from my flash drive. I miraculously managed to get my computer to boot with all 4 - 2GB RAM chips, and ran Memtest. After about 20 minutes, the monitor had gone all stripy and displayed three million or more (yes three million) errors.

Later, I tested each chip individually, and upon placing the fourth chip in the computer, it refused to boot, outright. The power-on light wouldn't even turn on. After placing all chips except the aforementioned into their slots, the computer booted smoothly on 6GB of RAM, (more smoothly than before, might I add) and I was able to was able to watch high-res videos and do all sorts of things without the alleged faulty chip.

Vir, I didn't use your solution because I have absolutely no idea where the documentation that came with my desktop is. I appreciate the help though; it's bound to help someone else.

Thank you for your time.

mondair99

Back