Windows 7 BSOD newbie with random errors 3b, 1e, 1, 7f, 1a

Helcat

Hello all,

I would consider myself pretty unfamiliar with Windows 7 but have muddled around since I bought my current computer November 2011. This week I have been plagued with several BSOD crashes. The only common theme that I have detected is when I have several browsers open at one time, but primarily with I am running games like Farmville and Cityville. Having read through other posts I have tried removing AVG, running MemTest (no problems), updating my NVIDIA video drivers, and re-installing Chrome and Adobe Shockwave. I thought Shockwave was the likely culprit and my computer definitely lasted longer after a fresh install, but still crashed.

I am hoping that someone will be able to see something in the dump files to point in the right direction for solving my problem. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Attachments

• Helcat BSOD data.zip
    369.2 KB · Views: 650
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to address the following three old driver issues;
nvmf6264.sys 4/30/2009 nVidia nForce network driver Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

purendis.sys 6/5/2009 Pure Networks, Inc. Network Magic NDIS Relay Driver Link Removed - Invalid URL

pnarp.sys 6/6/2009 Pure Networks, Inc. Network Magic Address Resolution Protocol Driver Link Removed - Invalid URL
Update or uninstall or rename.
AVG was named in one of your dump files but it looks to me like you may have already removed it. However; there is a remnant left here
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG Secure Search\ROC_roc_dec12.exe" /PROMPT /CMPID=roc_dec12
Some sort of ReOffer Campaign. I suggest you run this removal tool AVG - Download tools and utilities (get the correct version for your architecture) and consider replacing it with Link Removed due to 404 Error.
Additionally you should probably include information from CPUz as well as RAMMon as mentioned here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem into your next post.
Check with your machine manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer and update any Chipset drivers that are more recent than the one you are currently using and see if they have a BIOS update for your specific machine as the one you are currently running is a bit dated 12/17/2009
Regards
Randy

Thanks so much for the reply. I had actually removed AVG a few dumps back and was just looking around the forum for the tool you mentioned to remove the remnants. I will definitely run that.

Just in case you are still around I had a couple of questions. While I was waiting I found BlueScreen viewer and there seemed to be a common theme of failing on ntoskrnl.exe. Do I need to worry about that as well or just assume that you were able to look deeper into the dump files to see the 3 driver issues that you directed me to?

I had just run CPU-Z and my motherboard is an eMachines WMCP61M and the chipset is NVIDIA MCP61 Rev A3. To install updates on those or the BIOS do I need to take care to be in safe mode or just feel comfortable downloading from manufacturers website and let it rip?

While I was waiting I found BlueScreen viewer and there seemed to be a common theme of failing on ntoskrnl.exe. Do I need to worry about that as well or just assume that you were able to look deeper into the dump files to see the 3 driver issues that you directed me to?
No not typically. It's getting the blame because of the nature of the errors (involving the Kernel).
Of your five dump files, three are Kernel Mode Traps (7f) DOUBLE FAULT EXCEPTIONS;
Code:
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault).  The first number in the
bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
If kv shows a taskGate
        use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
Else if kv shows a trapframe
        use .trap on that value
Else
        .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
        (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
Endif
kb will then show the corrected stack.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000000[COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]8, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT[/B][/U][/COLOR]
The other two are;
Code:
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
This is a kernel internal error. The most common reason to see this
bugcheck is when a filesystem or a driver has a mismatched number of
calls to disable and re-enable APCs. The key data item is the
Thread->KernelApcDisable field. A negative value indicates that a driver
has disabled APC calls without re-enabling them.  A positive value indicates
that the reverse is true. This check is made on exit from a system call.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000770c1dea, address of system function (system call)
Arg2: 0000000000000000, Thread->ApcStateIndex << 8 | Previous ApcStateIndex
Arg3: 000000000000ffff, Thread->KernelApcDisable
Arg4: fffff88007109ca0, Previous KernelApcDisable
And
Code:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
    # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000403, The subtype of the bugcheck.
Arg2: fffff6800000ff18
Arg3: 8bb000006da01867
Arg4: dffff6800000ff18
I had just run CPU-Z and my motherboard is an eMachines WMCP61M and the chipset is NVIDIA MCP61 Rev A3. To install updates on those or the BIOS do I need to take care to be in safe mode or just feel comfortable downloading from manufacturers website and let it rip?
As far as updating hardware device drivers (Chipset) usually the motherboard manufacturer is the best bet for a resource, however; because Emachines are kind of a sub-species of computers and can be a product from Gateway or from Acer or perhaps other manufacturers there may be instances where the actual system manufacturer is the best resource as there may be proprietary considerations that I could not possibly be aware of.
And as far as BIOS updates (flashing), there is always a small risk involved albeit slight, that a problem can arise resulting in an unbootable and unrecoverable machine. You should always consult you computer documentation regarding this process as well as any and all accompanying information regarding the update and or flash utility (release notes, readme files, etc.,) and make sure you understand what the process entails and how to perform it correctly.
Regards
Randy

Trouble,

Since your reply I checked both NVIDIA and eMachines sites for updated drivers. eMachines had nothing but the original OEM drivers on their site, I have downloaded them in case I need to roll back to them, but for the most part they were all 2009 files. They also had an eMachines BIOS that seems to be the same as the one I already have P01.A4 but just with a newer date of 2/8/2010, so I did not try updating the BIOS.

NVIDIA considers the nForce430 to be a legacy model so they don't even have any options for downloading updates, but I did find another site that indicated that the newer NVIDIA nForce drivers for Vista 64-bit would work just fine for Windows 7 so I downloaded and installed it (still dated way back in 2008 or 2009 though).

Cisco has basically given up on supporting Network Magic so I couldn't find any newer drivers so I just renamed the purendis.sys and pnarp.sys files that I had in \windows\system32\drivers folder. Network Magic still appears to work somewhat from what I can tell.

Finally, ran the AVG removal program, and went to install Microsoft Security Essentials. I found that there was also a Microsoft update for nVidia nForce Networking Controller Software with a release date of Aug 2010 so I accepted that optional update as well.

Went back and played around in Chrome for about an hour or so. My games ran fine and then I was hit with the dreaded BSOD again, but this time with a stop code of 1e. I am attaching all of the file information again to see if you have any other ideas or if I effectively did what you asked me to above.

I appreciate any other pointers you can give me.

Last edited:
Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh! My latest update is that after making the changes I had three crashes yesterday evening.

(Crash 1) Dumpfile 16614 at 7:27pm came when I was running games in Chrome and the BCCode given was 1e
(Crash 2) Dumpfile 14913 at 10:25pm was again in Chrome (and more than likely in Shockwave Player) when running online games with the same stop code of 1e
(Crash 3) This time I decide to try a different browser to see if the same problem came about. In Firefox there was a definite warning that Adobe Flash Player had crashed and then after a little delay got the usual BSOD with a BCCode of 3b this time (dmp file 16957).

The really unusual part is that after that crash I could not get SFDiagTool to work properly. It makes it through the system tab just fine but craps out on MSINFO and all other tabs thereafter (I've included the error messages that I captured in the attached file). So this time all I can upload is the System info from SFDiagTool, and the 3 most recent dmp files.

I appreciate any suggestions.

*Helcat*

Attachments

• Systeminfo.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 369
  • SF Diag Tool v4 - Error info.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 022612-16614-01.dmp
    275.2 KB · Views: 358
  • 022612-14913-01.dmp
    274.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 022612-16957-01.dmp
    274.3 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I am no longer seeing any glaring issues with your current drivers but I would like to see another more recent example of the SF Diagnostic Tool (make sure that you right click the executable and choose run as administrator).
Before we go off on a lot of hardware diagnostics, I'd like you to first make sure you are using the most current version of Adobe Flash Player both IE and non-IE and the correct version for your architecture 32 or 64 bit.
Download Flash Player 11.1.102.62 (Non-IE) - FileHippo.com
and or
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Not recommending beta versions in either instance just the latest stable release.
And consider taking the time to read this post near the middle of this page by Niva Firefox Causes "BLUE SCREEN CRASH" | Firefox Support Forum | Firefox Help regarding an issue with Fonts. It's an old post from 2010 but we have recently seen this issue crop up again regarding possible registry related corruption as to available / installed fonts, which seems can impact virtually any browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc.,) and may or may not be compounded by Adobe Flash Player.
Just a shot in the dark at this point but worth your consideration.

I was just coming back because I realized that I had not run SFDiagTool with administrator privileges. I'll go ahead and upload while I double check my version of Adobe (though I just re-installed it the other day).

Attachments

• Helcat BSOD version 3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 454
My update is that everything seems to be okay for the 2nd day now. I got rid of every Adobe program as well as Shockwave. I installed the non-beta Adobe Flash files for IE and non-IE, and the latest Shockwave player from FileHippo. I had one BSOD right after all of those changes but nothing else since. I have slowly but surely worked up tp how I normally used my computer with Outlook open, Chrome for playing games, and IE for everything else. Even with games running and looking at a youtube video in IE I have had no more problems. I have since added back an older copy of Adobe Reader (version 9.4 I think) to avoid getting the added junk of Adobe AIR, Adobe Updater, and Adobe Acobat Manager.

So far so good. Makes me extremely hesitant to install future upgrades ever again though :(

Spoke too soon. Yesterday when I turned on my system for the day the system started up with messages indicating that Windows updates were being installed. I guess I had not turned off automatic updates and Windows decided that I needed to have IE9. It did not take long for that to crash my system, so looking back with hindsight I think that may be what originally brought me here. Anyways, after the crash and rebooting in Safe Mode Windows did a system repair and rolled back to IE 8 all on its own. I hadn't had any problems until late today when I crashed in Chrome/Shockwave while playing a game.

What I don't understand is why Shockwave crashes are now crashing my computer. It used to be that Shockwave would crash and I'd just refresh the page or at worst close and refresh the browser. I would love to get back to that state again versus all of these BSODs. So I'm reposting all of my current info in hopes that there is something that you see here.

Attachments

• Helcat BSOD 3-2-2012.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 336
Helcat:
I wish I had something brilliant to contribute, like a magic bullet to get you through these issues but I don't.
Looking at your most recent dump files as well as other information you have uploaded I cannot find anything definitive regarding the problem.
Now, having said that, since according to your posts most if not all of your problems seem to be browser / game related.... In other words network related. So logically I suppose that you might consider addressing this by testing your computer with a different network adapter installed. Something other than your currently installed NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (nvmf6264.sys 8/12/2010). You can either install another PCI card or perhaps a USB Network Adapter Dongle depending on your resources as to what might be available to you. In either case you should probably remove / uninstall the current adapter while testing and if integrated on the motherboard, perhaps disable it in the BIOS or Device Manager just to prevent any conflicts or other problems.
As for other options...
Assuming at some point in recent history your machine was stable and error free then perhaps a system restore to a point in time prior to the issue first presenting might be an option. System Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Failing that perhaps an in place upgrade repair might help How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
I'll refrain from offering a clean custom install of the OS as an option, since you've probably already considered this. Whatever you decide please make sure you have a current backup of all your critical data and resources for reinstalling programs should that become necessary. I would strongly recommend that you not allow the Windows Update Utility to install any hardware device drivers for you except only in the case of an extreme last resort situation.
Regards
Randy

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately since I've had so many BSOD crashes the only system restores available still have some level of the problem lingering. I'm almost certain at this point that Microsoft system updates are the beginning and end of my problems. Would you advise uninstalling any of the operating system Hotfixes that were installed around the time of the start of my problems? The obvious cons are that there will continue to be more and more updates and hotfixes that I'll be dreading, but I guess I'm trying to avoid mucking with the BIOS :-(

Do networking issues jive with why upgrading IE9 absolutely, and pretty much immediately, crashes my system? Oddly enough the crashes are rarely when running IE9 itself, but invariably when I am doing something in Chrome/Shockwave.

Anyways, if your gut tells you that networking makes sense as a cause for the IE9 upgrade issues causing havoc, then I guess I will give it a try disabling my ethernet connection and using a wireless USB connection for a few days and see if it helps things to be stable consistently.

Thanks again,

*Helena* aka Helcat

Hello all,

I wanted to come back and post and update because I'm pretty sure that I have figured out my problem and it seems to be a recurring theme for lots of other people. Long story short, Adobe Flash appears to be at the root of the problem for me when I'm running Google Chrome. In particular, if you like I run multiple browsers there are many opportunities for different versions of Flash to be in conflict with one another. The most helpful summary that have found to describe the most common solutions to the problem is here: Shockwave Flash Crashes In Google Chrome » TechLogon Technology News | Tech News Help And Tutorials

For myself, I have created the most stable system by installing older stable versions of Chrome & Flash and not allowing either to automatically update. Coupled with disabling hardware acceleration and installing a stable version of NVIDIA drivers (which was definitely not the most current release) I have had only had a couple of random crashes over the last two weeks (a VAST improvement over multiple crashes a day).

Back
Top Bottom