Windows 7 BSOD on clean win7 install (Ubuntu 10 was fine)

DeanMc

Hi all,

I have win7 professional on my pc as a clean installation. The moment the install finished (first login) my pc BSOD. This worries me as I have a clean install and want to use this pc for work purposes.

I would be very greatful is someone could make sense of my minidump and point me in the correct direction.

Thank You.

View attachment 090510-12406-01.dmp

Update your Realtek network driver. Type systeminfo in a command prompt then press enter. It will tell you the Realtek lan number. If you have 8111, use the following link. If anything else, search the link on the left side for the number:

Rt86win7 Rt86win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:22 2009

RTL8111

-----------

Update your video card driver as this is too old:

nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Thu May 14 16:32:27 2009

Link Removed - Invalid URL

----------

Enjoy.

I installed the one from msi direct (its mobo software) should i un install (in program files under realtek win 7 driver ) that one and use your link instead?

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I have been really busy with work and this is the first day I have got to sit down in front of the PC and update drivers and the like. So I followed all of the advice here but I still got error 124. What annoyed me about this is:

1: It happened during installation
2: It happened haphazardly with no pattern
3: It happened after all of the advice here

I was speaking to a friend who has a similar build to mine (We bought our parts from the same site). In passing he said he had to replace one of the cables that came with the drives as a bundle pack.

I asked him how did he know it was the cable, he pointed me to a HD check program. I installed this and ran it..... Low and Behold! The cable to my installation drive was showing a warning. Once I switch the cables (2 drives) the warning showed up on the other drive.

So where I am at now is:

A: All of my drivers are up to date
B: All firmware is up to date
C: Cable has been ordered and second drive has been removed for the mean time

Of course as the error happens randomly I cannot be sure it is solved, I am using the pc as much as I can to see can I repro the error, but so far things look good!

I will update again tomorrow!

Make sure your HDD settings in BIOS are correct and that you have the latest driver for it (AHCI) for example !

Hi there,

Please follow this link for some helpful advice on your problem: Link Removed - Invalid URL for a possible solution to your problem.
Best,

John C. - Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

Last post of the OP, he said things look good.

With all due respect, there is a bit of bad advice in that link, such as updating drivers from device manager.

If the OP needs further help, we're here for that.

In my opinion , if the driver updation is not working , then a re-installation could fix the issue. But please make sure that u have backed up your data. This will assure the retrieval of your data in case of any data loss . In my case I used the Stellar Phoenix Software for windows data recovery.

In my opinion , if the driver updation is not working , then a re-installation could fix the issue. But please make sure that u have backed up your data. This will assure the retrieval of your data in case of any data loss . In my case I used the Stellar Phoenix Software for windows data recovery.

...and then right back to square one with old drivers that could be causing issue.

As fact, there are only two reasons why Windows will crash to bsod:

1) Old, incompatible or poorly written drivers, which we can see each and every one of them in the crash dumps. We know exactly which ones can and will cause the crashes and which are good.

2) Faulty hardware.

If it's faulty hardware, re-installing Windows is a step in the wrong direction to figuring out it is in fact, faulty hardware.

It seems the OP has figured out that faulty hardware was causing it for him, so cool.

Back