Windows 7 BSOD on new computer

OrigamiShawn

Extraordinary Member
I recently got a new computer for my birthday and it has blue screened 4 times while I was playing games. Please help!! Mnidumps in folder.

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    218.7 KB · Views: 216
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8015131010, fffff8800fbb37a0, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+9a57a0 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files were the same as the above and basically your graphics driver tried to reset itself for whatever reason and eventually timed out.
This could be down to several reasons ranging from the device driver to the card itself. Could you post the actual specification of the machine including PSU manufacturer, model and wattage.
nvlddmkm.sys Wed Jul 02 18:42:02 2014: Nvidia GPU driver. Please remove using the driver uninstaller found here:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
Install the latest Whql driver from Nvidia (340.52 Released July 29th so later than your current driver set):
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If after changing the driver the bsod continues then it could be down to another reason. Have you ever checked the temps? Try using something called Speedfan. Usually with this app you use it to control fan speeds but it also monitors temps as well and there is a section which allows you to look back at what your temps were like moments ago. Try running speedfan and then play a game, obviously it's best if you don't crash otherwise the data will be lost but try alt-tabbing out of the game and looking under the chart section of Speedfan to check on the temperature.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Please check the cards memory by running this test:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Post any new dump files.

Okay, I am downloading the new driver now. I have not blue screened since posting this thread but I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I actually installed Speedfan after posting this thread because a friend told me to and I always have it on my second monitor. Thanks for the help! I'll post another reply when I get this driver installed.

Driver is installed. I launched a game and all is well for now. Thanks again! I'll post another reply if anything goes wrong.

Oh I almost forgot the results and my specs as asked. I bought my PC from this website: www.digitalstormonline.com
Here are my specs:
- Chassis Model
- Intel Core i7 4790K CPU
- 16GB 1600MHz Memory
- NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti 3GB
- 120mm CPU Liquid Cooling
- 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM Storage HDD
- ASUS Z97 Chipset Motherboard
- 750W Corsair CX PSU
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Windows 7 64bit

Attachments

• Results.png
    Results.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 412
Wow! Very nice machine... :)

Good luck and if any issues pop up just post back.

Hi. I had another blue screen at the same part of Borderlands 2. Here it is. Temps were all fine on Speedfan.

Attachments

• Another BSOD.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 235
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8015bf24e0, fffff8800fc437a0, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys

Hi,
another TDR error. Sometimes these TDR blue screens can simply be down to the actual GPU driver or something is causing the driver to crash like corruption in the system. I've had the odd TDR bsod and have always traced to either the driver or some corruption which is usually fixed by running the system file scanner.
Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it, choose properties then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
If that fails to stop the bsod try running s different driver. This link gives you access to Nvidias most recent releases.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html

Finally, if the bsod continues regardless of which driver used then you may want to consider contacting the supplier. If the blue screening has been happening since you first bought the machine then clearly that isn't right. If need be direct them to this thread.

Edit:
Something I forgot to ask earlier. Your SSD... Is the firmware the latest version?

Okay did the scan. Here's a snap of the results. It all seems okay. I don't know how to check my SSD version. Can you reply telling me how?

Attachments

• Scan.png
    Scan.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 425
One more thing I'd like to add. I don't actually see the Blue screen. My monitor says no signal then the screen goes black. The only reason I said it was a blue screen was because when my PC restarts it says it was a blue screen. Also because of the minidumps.
I'm thinking about just returning this disappointment. I do have a warranty.

Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa80151100d0, fffff8800fbd17a0, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Hi Shawn,
sorry was out last night so missed your posts. To check on the Samsung SSD (I have one too) either open the Samsung Magician software and you should see it linked or install the Magician software here:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Try running Furmark and see if the test completes. If it doesn't and the temp is reasonable then there is a good chance the card itself is faulty:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

As you can see from the above another TDR error. Probably your best course of action, in my opinion, is to check your SSD settings/firmware is ok. Try a different gpu driver as specified above, complete the furmark test and if the BSOD continues contact the supplier. If you opened the system up to check on cables and the like it may invalidate your warranty so we have to tred somewhat carefully.

Okay here are screen caps of the magician and FurMark. I have not opened the case aside from removing the "Protective Foam" from the case as instructed. I did not BSOD from doing the FurMark test, but my GPU was getting very hot 5:30 into the test (76C). I wasn't sure if I should have let it go or not. Maybe the blue screens were caused by something in the games I play? The highest I ever see my GPU temp get in Borderlands 2 is only around 60C.
FurMarkTest.png
When I click "Firmware Update" It says I have the latest version.
MagicianScan.png

Last edited:
Oh, didn't realize there were preset tests. Here are my resutls:
PresetTest.png

Also when you say to try a different driver do you mean an older version?

Last edited:
Thanks for the above info. Todays GPU's are quite happy around 70c-80c and are designed to run at those temps. If the gpu was hitting around a 100c then I'd be concerned.
Just ensure your Direct X files are fully updated:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35

Since you've first had the machine have you added or removed anything in particular?

I do mean trying an older driver. The link I posted above has drivers stretching back months if not years. Just try the previous set or the ones before them and see if it makes a difference.
Sometimes it is simply down to the driver.

DirectX says it's up to date. I haven't modified my PC at all. All I did when I got it was download games. I've been playing in windowed mode lately and I haven't blue screened yet. Could this have any significance? I'll install an older driver soon. Also here is another BSOD file.

Attachments

• BSOD.zip
    56 KB · Views: 203
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8015dd94e0, fffff8800fc117a0, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Hi,
it probably is significant but at to what I'm unsure. As I mentioned above TDR errors are notoriously hard to diagnose unless your lucky and it's something simple. Nvidia has a special page for TDR errors and contains information on the many causes and possible fixes. Many of these I have or would have suggested but have a look and see if anything helps:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

Hmmm. I read that page for a while. Not really sure what I should do here. Do you think I should just return the PC and get another? I've been very frustrated with the crashing and I don't want to play every game in windowed mode for obvious reasons.

It does sound like giving the supplier a phone call is prudent. As I mentioned we can carry on testing this and that but eventually we are going to get to a point where your warranty may be invalidated.
In short the purchased item is not performing as it should and might be faulty....

I haven't given them a call yet because I've been experimenting with taking off my second moniter (A TV screen). I've been playing in fullscreen on my main monitor and I haven't BSOD'd yet. But I won't get my hopes up because I've said that in a past post.

Back