Windows 7 BSOD on new computer.

OliverV

Hello!
I just build this computer and it has been working like a charm.

4670k intel
500 ssd
780 asus direct cu2
16 RAM
650 psu
I recently got a BSOD and was wondering if someone could tell me what is was caused from. I am pretty computer savvy but I don't know how to read a BSOD file.

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 090414-9048-01.dmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 462
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800cd40a10, fffff80000b9c3d8, fffffa80118adb10}

Probably caused by : pci.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
The above Bugcheck means that a device driver didn't complete it's job. This could be down to either old or incorrect driver/Bios and looking through the dump file i see you have updates pending:
BiosVersion = 1301
BiosReleaseDate = 12/20/2013
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = MAXIMUS VI HERO
Current Bios update stands at 1505 and improves stability:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

ALSysIO64.sys Sun Apr 19 20:41:04 2009: Core Temp - CPU temperature monitor old version has bsod issues with UEFI enabled boards please update:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

athrx.sys Wed Nov 24 00:11:58 2010: Atheros network adapter driver. A little confused as to why this driver is on the system as your motherboard support page lists no such device. Is this something you've installed? Network card perhaps? Updates can be found here:
http://www.atheros.cz/

Please run the Intel driver update utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

RimSerial_AMD64.sys Mon Oct 22 21:51:51 2012: Virtual Serial Port driver for Blackberry update if possible:
http://www.rim.com/products/

Post any new dump files.

Awesome! I did all the updates successfully. The only one I had a little bit of an issue on was the Atheros driver. You are correct, it is the chip for my network card, did a little bit of researching. I visited the Atheros website and found the driver I needed but there was no .exe file to run. Here is the page I got to and the file I downloaded. I'm not too worried about it as I don't think the chip version was the cause of the BSOD but you never know. Attached is the zipped file with the contents of the download.

Attachments

• win7-v10.0.0.285-whql.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 387
I did see athrx in a section of the dump file which may mean it's more likely the driver causing the issue. I checked the contents of the Atheros driver zip and I see what you mean. As there isn't an auto installer try updating via the device manager. Open up the Device manager via the control panel and look for the Atheros network card.
Once found right click on it and choose properties.
Look for 'Driver' along the top and then 'Update driver'.
Click 'Browse my computer for driver software'.
On the next dialogue box look for 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
Look bottom right right on the next box for 'Have disk' and click that.
On the next box use browse to navigate to the folder you have the downloaded driver in. Now basically you'll be looking for an 'inf' file and if I remember correctly only inf files will be seen other folder and files are hidden but see how you go.

If the above fails miserably then post the make and model of your card and I'll see if I can find a driver with an exe. :)

I was able to download the driver but again there is no .exe file in the folder. I also tried updating through the device manager too and there was no 'inf' file to select.

attached is the download from the page you linked me.

Attachments

• TL-WN881ND_V1_130521.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 495
Was playing around a little more on the device manager and found a way to update the driver! The driver now says the latest driver! Thank you for your help. Hopefully that solves everything with BSOD. If I come across any new problems I will be sure to come back here.

P.s. I went to device manager and click on Look for
'Driver'
'Update driver'.
'Browse my computer for driver software'.
'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
'Have disk'
The key here was to have the folder that the driver came in extracted. After that I was able to go through the folder and I found what I assume to be the 'inf' file (it didn't say 'inf' at the end)
selected it and vwala!

Thanks again. You deserve 5 stars (*****) and a raise my friend.

Hey Oliver,
that's great! If the unfortunate should happen and the bsod returns then simply post the dump file.

Hello friend,
The unfortunate has happened again. I got this BSOD last night as the computer was shutting down. If you could help me again you would be my savior. Attached is the minidump file.

Again I cannot thank you enough!

Attachments

• 103014-9734-01.dmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 432
just an update.....
I updated my BIOS for motherboard as well as my drives for GPU tweak software and my ROCCAT mouse software. Let me know if there are any other updates I need. Please and Thank you! btw Happy Halloween! :)

Code:

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800c7a5700, fffff80000b9a3d8, fffffa8011adf580}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\rimvndis6_AMD64.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rimvndis6_AMD64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rimvndis6_AMD64.sys
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp

Hi,
See how you go now you updated the bios. The only drivers you could try updating are:

AsUpIO.sys Tue Aug 03 03:47:59 2010: ASUS hardware monitoring software related please update via linked site above.

:bat:Happy :bat:Halloween to you too..:devil_smile: :bat:

Hello again unfortunately...
I got DSOD out of no where. I have not download anything as I know of. I looked at the ASUS bios software and everything seems to be up to date. The only thing I can think of that would cause an issue would be a Nvidia update recently occurred.
Attached is the dump file.

If you could help me again, I would be very appreciative. :)

Attachments

• 041815-9594-01.dmp
    392.9 KB · Views: 379
Next time follow kemicals instructions for doing it with Device Manager, but download the .zip file and in Device Manager, right click on the driver you're trying to update, but instead of having Windows search online for a driver, select the lower option to search on your pc and point it to the .zip file you downloaded. Windows should be able to install it, that way.
I've never had a driver not having a .exe or .msi file before, so I'm not fully positive on it. Give it a try next time, though.

The issues listed above were solved. The file I posted today (4/18/2015) was the result of what I believe to be a different issue. If the issue that you are referring to is pertaining to the dump file I recently posted, could you tell me the specific driver that needs to be updated.

Code:

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800d4f7028, ff800000, 124}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Hi Oliver,
the above Bugcheck when taken literally means a hardware error occurred specifically a machine check exception. Now causes for a machine check exception can be quite varied but basically the main causes can be:
Normal causes for MCE errors include overheating and/or incorrect hardware installation. Specific manually-induced causes include:

• overclocking (which normally increases heat-output)
  • poorly-fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with excessive dust in the CPU fan)
  • an overloaded internal or external power-supply (fixable by upgrading)
Computer software can also cause MCE errors (normally by corrupting data which programs read or write). For example, software performing read or write operations from or to non-existent memory regions can lead to confusion for the processor and/or the system bus.[citation needed] Accessing memory marked off-limits by UEFI may cause MCE errors.[3]
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception

As you can see software can also cause this error and above you mention an Nvidia update. Did this arrive via Windows Update? If so I'd remove it. I always advise to never use the windows update to update drivers unless there is no other way. It can often get the wrong driver so it's simply easier in the long run to make sure it doesn't update drivers.
To stop windows update updating your drivers, type in the Run box sysdm.cpl and press Enter. Look across the top of System properties for Hardware and click that. Now look for Device installation settings, click that and change the settings on the revealed box to stop windows updates from installing drivers. It will look a little like this (I'm using win 10 so maybe a little different)
settings.JPG

Try removing the installing driver using the DDU or Display driver uninstaller:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
The install the latest whql driver from Nvidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Check your CPU over with this diagnostic from Intel:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit-

Check your temps when gaming (alt-tab out during game)
http://www.hwinfo.com/

I would also uninstall anything on your system which is Asus as most of it is out of date. You can find the latest versions here under utilities:
http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

As usual post any new dump files.. :)

Thanks! I changed the Windows drivers setting to what you said above. I also uninstalled the Nvidia driver and downloaded it from their website.
I checked the CPU and it failed the test for CPU frequency test. Its target was 3.4 but it found .81. I think this is because I have the ASUS motherboard feature set to power saving..... I do have it overclocked to 4.2 but I tested it with some of the stress tests Intel has as well as Prime95, I also have it water cooled so it never gets above 50C, even while gaming. I'll mess power saving function ASUS has in the BIOS and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks again for you help you are truly a MVP. :)

Hey Oliver!
much thanks for the update and it sounds like your in the right area concerning the bsod source. Please post again if I can help further.

Hello again.....unfortunately this my first BSOD in Windows 10. On the screen it said Memory_Management. I did the memory test that Windows comes with and no errors were found.
Was wondering if you could work your magic again. Attached is the minidump file.

Attachments

• 120915-6468-01.dmp
    319.5 KB · Views: 367
Back