Windows 7 BSoD on Playing Videos and Gaming

tikaydi

Hello, I just recently bought a new computer and encountered some problems on video playback and on games. On videos the video plays normally until some time the videos becomes jittery with green and pink lines, if i leave it that way it usually results into a "display driver has stopped responding...." or it goes BSoD. :( This also happens on youtube and other video streaming sites. On games it's pretty much the same but it crashes and goes BSoD or Display driver has blah blah.... I pretty much updated all the drivers needed mobo, video card and Win7 updates and it still haunts me, but then again i can still play videos and do gaming, it just suddenly crashes on a certain duration. I hope someone can help me here, and thank you very much. :razz:

Attachments

• File.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 403
Troubleshooting STOP 0x116 errors: STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting - Windows 7 Forums The errors you are getting are actually STOP 0x117 - but we troubleshoot them the same way as the STOP 0x116.

I see that you have Furmark installed. Did you run it, and if so, what were the results (I'm primarily interested if the display got messed up or the graphics card overheated.)

SP1 isn't installed, please do the following:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates (may take repeated visits)
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center
NOTE: For Vista, read these notes:
Read these notes for installing Vista SP1: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Read these notes for installing Vista SP2: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates. May take repeated visits, but keep it up until you get several "Windows is updated" results.
If you're having difficulties with installing a Service Pack, please use the SURTool from this link: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Also, check out this troubleshooting link from Microsoft: Troubleshoot problems installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I have had limited success in installing updates/Service Packs when using a "clean boot". I suspect that I'm just bypassing the problem - and that it can come back to bite me in the butt later on.

Please un-install the Gigabyte EasyTune6 (ET6) software and the Gigabyter Easy Saver software. They are known to cause BSOD's on some Win7 systems.

AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Win7 systems.
Please un-install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from Link Removed - Invalid URL (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLY: ATI video cards - DRIVER ONLY installation procedure

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Uninstall". Reboot for changes to take affect.
Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's. If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.

Please un-install the Apple Charger utility as we have recently begun to see them involved with BSOD events in Win7 systems.

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only.
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]**************************Wed Aug 15 06:26:02.119 2012 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\081512-80028-01.dmp]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows 7 Kernel Version [B]7600 [/B]MP (8 procs) Free x64
Built by: [B]7600[/B].17017.amd64fre.win7_gdr.120503-2030
System Uptime:[B]2 days 5:36:35.712[/B]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
BugCheck Code: [B]BugCheck 116, {fffffa8008a0b230, fffff88004008efc, 0, 2}[/B]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by :[B]atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+8efc )[/B]
BugCheck Info: [B]VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)[/B]
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
  BIOS Version                  F4
  BIOS Release Date             02/22/2012
  Manufacturer                  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  Product Name                  GA-880GM-D2H
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
[/FONT]

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. Any drivers in red should be updated.
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]**************************Wed Aug 15 06:26:02.119 2012 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
amdxata.sys        Tue May 19 13:56:59 2009 (4A12F2EB)
amdiox64.sys       Thu Feb 18 10:17:53 2010 (4B7D5A21)
AppleCharger.sys   Mon Jan 10 04:57:29 2011 (4D2AD809)
RtHDMIVX.sys       Wed Jul  6 06:09:50 2011 (4E14346E)
L1C62x64.sys       Wed Aug  3 02:21:09 2011 (4E38E8D5)
RTKVHD64.sys       Fri Aug 12 01:28:04 2011 (4E44B9E4)
AODDriver2.sys     Tue Mar  6 04:55:00 2012 (4F55DEF4)
AODDriver2.sys     Tue Apr 17 22:19:31 2012 (4F8E24B3)
aswFsBlk.SYS       Tue Jul  3 12:13:12 2012 (4FF31A18)
aswMonFlt.sys      Tue Jul  3 12:13:24 2012 (4FF31A24)
aswTdi.SYS         Tue Jul  3 12:13:33 2012 (4FF31A2D)
aswrdr2.sys        Tue Jul  3 12:13:43 2012 (4FF31A37)
aswSP.SYS          Tue Jul  3 12:14:23 2012 (4FF31A5F)
aswSnx.SYS         Tue Jul  3 12:14:27 2012 (4FF31A63)
atikmpag.sys       Wed Jul  4 01:10:55 2012 (4FF3D05F)
atikmdag.sys       Wed Jul  4 01:16:13 2012 (4FF3D19D)
[/FONT]
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amdxata.sys
Link Removed - Invalid URL
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=L1C62x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswrdr2.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswSP.SYS
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswSnx.SYS

Last edited:
Wow, much work to be done :D but am I grateful :D and yes i did run the Furmark test and it did not pose any problems while the test is conducted, I'll check if I saved the results and post it here. Thank you very much, I'll keep you updated and post the results here. Thank you again. :D

Hello, well so far so good, I managed to get SP1 and update my windows, and uninstalled the programs mentioned above, but I had problems on installing the video drivers on "drivers only mode" it keeps saying that the drivers installed are the latest...and I can't find anymore ati programs on the uninstall list. So what i did is I installed the catalyst but i chose to install the driver only and the catalyst, since I can't figure a way to maximize the entire screen, I need to use the overscan feature of the catalyst. I hope that this works, but so far I haven't encounter any crashes yet, I guess I'll try playing videos and see. Thank you very much.

The drivers only post is a "catch all" and isn't necessary in all circumstances.
In most cases you can remove the Catalyst Control Center and the AMD Overdrive after installing the full package (they are the 2 biggest problem areas IMO).

Hello, today my display crashed and the pop up balloon on the lower right said that my display driver has stopped working... I went to the reliability section of windows to see the error.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 13321

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120817-1716.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800AB294E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800496BEFC
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_

Thats what it says, but the good thing is it did not go on BSoD. :D

Back