Windows 7 BSOD & PdaNet+

Burnt

I've used PdaNet+ for USB tethering without problems, but now I get the BSOD upon connection. I've uninstalled it from the phone and laptop and then reinstalled from both Google Play and the developer's site, either directly or to my phone first and then to my laptop. During installation I'm asked to keep or replace a driver but either choice gives me the same results. I then reboot in safe mode do a system restore, but upon attempting regular start-up I get the BSOD again. Uninstalling PdaNet+ fixes the problem, but I can't seem to find the guilty driver. How do I proceed?

Attachments

• W7F_30-10-2013a.zip
    186.2 KB · Views: 653
There are no .dmp files in your attachment.

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Please browse to C:\Windows\Minidump
Select all (Ctrl +A) Copy (Ctrl + C) and Paste (Ctrl + V) into a new folder on your desktop.
Zip it up and attach it to your next post.

That folder's empty. I can recreate the crash and fill it if that's advisable. I've already done it enough to not worry about it.

I don't know about filling it, but perhaps one or two might help.
Give it a go and we'll have a look but it does sound to me as if you've pretty much discovered the cause of the Blue Screens if the machine is stable without the software / driver installed.
Perhaps at least we'll be able to see the driver in place and perhaps armed with that information you could contact the vendor / developer.

Here ya go.....

Attachments

• 103013-16926-01.dmp
    144.7 KB · Views: 368
  • W7F_30-10-2013.zip
    234.6 KB · Views: 734
Disable Driver Verifier and see if you can get it to Blue Screen again and zip up the new dump file(s) and attach them to your next post

It's fixed. I'd like to think I'm smart but as usual I just kept screwing it up until I failed to do even that. Anyway, during the PdaNet+ install on the PC side a popup asks you to choose your phone's manufacturer. I've been correctly choosing HTC which has always worked, but I finally chose the 'not sure' option to allow the software to decide. That did it. The option to replace the existing driver or use it seems to be irrelevant to the problem. Whether you choose to replace it or not, everything installs correctly and there have been no issues or surprises since. Not sure how many folks are as ignorant as I am but I bet someone would appreciate this being a sticky or something somewhere (like June Fabric's website, duh). Thanks a ton for verifying the approach I was taking !

Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with your solution.
It may very well prove helpful for other members or guests with similar issues.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom