Windows 7 BSOD, usually when watching a video ??

JoeD

Greetings...

I recently joined the forum to try and find the source of my issues. This started happening back in November shortly after a MS update. It usually happens when watching streaming video in Chrome or FFox and with many tabs open and both browsers running. After my PC goes belly-up it will not restart for some time..which makes me thing it could be a thermal issue, possibly power supply. No matter how many times I power-cycle it will not usually restart for some time. I have left the side case off for many months, doesn't help. The CPU and Power Supply fans seem to operate normally. The most recent crash was yesterday. I tried for a couple of hours to get a restart after plugging back in. She started once, then crashed immediately. THis was one of the few times I was able to restart it right away. When the video came up I was presented with the F1 F2 Bios prompts, I pressed F2 (load defaults and continue). It's been running ever since.

This system is 3 years old and built on an Asus M4N68T-M board, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, single 8G stick of Crucial ram ( CT102464BA1339.M16 ), a 500g WD sata3 disk, and Win7 Ultimate/64/sp1.

* I bought two 8G sticks of that Crucial ram but the machine will only run a minute or two with both installed before a BSOD, which again makes me 'think' it could be the power supply.

Windows is fully patched, drivers are the most current, and DX11 is up to date.

These crashes usually only happen when many tabs are open in the browser and I'm and watching a streaming video. Most frequently an .FLV. I almost always have more than one browser running with many tabs open in each.

Right now my CPU is 27°C and the Nvidia MCP is averaging 55.4°C (min 54, max 57.1).

Not sure what else to include. I've installed nothing new for a long time. This has been going on most noticeably since November. I seem to think it started the morning after a Windows update, if memory serves me correctly. Coincidentally (or not?), I bought the ram around the time these issues started happening.

I have attached the most current .dmp file in hopes that one of you folks can make some sense of it. I have others (since enabling them) going back to January..

If you need anything additional, just ask. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

-joe-

Attachments

• 030814-18298-01.dmp
    294.6 KB · Views: 214
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800031646cf, fffff8800316f978, fffff8800316f1d0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!CmpDelayDerefKeyControlBlock+f )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
with only one dump file it's more difficult to spot trends ect as all the above means is that a driver or process crashed the system. Memory is mentioned so please download this app and test your RAM. Let it run for at least a couple of passes: http://www.memtest.org/

Can you also post what GPU your using as well as your power supply. Thx. (I notice you have an onboard gpu but do you have a plug in card?)

Can you also run a scan on the Harddrive please. This guide will show you how:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Laslty to just check on the state of the os please run a system file check. Find command prompt in the start menu and right click on it. Choose properties and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

AsIO.sys Mon Aug 03 08:03:16 2009: Asus Probe utility
AsUpIO.sys Mon Jul 06 03:21:38 2009: Asus Hardware monitoring. Both apps have later versions on Asus website:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N68TM_V2/#support

dne64x.sys Tue Nov 11 01:01:24 2008: Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport or Cisco Systems VPN Client: Please update if possible:
http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/support/index.html

nvlddmkm.sys Thu Jan 31 07:45:04 2013: Nvidia GPU driver: Please use this application to remove (it also removes any old bit of driver left behind by any other previous installs) http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
Install latest driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

SASDIFSV64.SYS Fri Jul 22 00:03:00 2011: Superantispyware please uninstall and use MSE. The reason we ask this is because it creates a known environment as troubleshooting is undertaken:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

vpcvmm.sys Sat Nov 20 11:35:48 2010: VMware: Try to update if possible:
http://www.vmware.com/support/

Please post any more dump files you have. The more you can send the better as it makes my job a lot easier.. :)

Hi kemical,

Thanks for the quick reply, suggestions, and info. I got your message just as I was leaving for work but stayed to run a couple of tests for you before leaving.

>> Can you also post what GPU your using as well as your power supply. Thx.
>> (I notice you have an onboard gpu but do you have a plug in card?)

I only have the onboard Nvidia GPU. Here's the basics (from HWinfo)...

Video chipset
=================================================================================
Video Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a
Video Chipset Codename: C61
Video Memory: 256 MBytes of SDRAM

Video Card
=================================================================================
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (C61) [AsusTek]
Video Chipset Revision: A2

>> Can you also run a scan on the Harddrive please.

I had a chkdsk already scheduled for the next reboot. Will do that later after I get home.
In the meantime I ran the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic quick-test .. it said PASS. I started the full / exhaustive test before leaving and will get the results of that to you later if it'll be of any help..??

>> Laslty to just check on the state of the os please run a system file check. sfc /scannow

SFC log attached as CBS.ZIP

Great info on those drivers, I'll deal with them after I get home as well. As for Citrix and the Cisco VPN, I will torch those. They're not really needed. I use REVO to get all file/folder fragments and registry clutter left behind by the app-uninstaller. Is there a better uninstaller you'd recommend..??

>> SASDIFSV64.SYS Fri Jul 22 00:03:00 2011: Superantispyware please uninstall and use MSE. The reason we ask this is
>> because it creates a known environment as troubleshooting is undertaken:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

I am using MSE. I installed SAS fairly recently, odd it has a 2011 driver !! I will remove it and stick to MBAM.

>> vpcvmm.sys Sat Nov 20 11:35:48 2010: VMware: Try to update if possible:-

I have a (legit) license for this older version but the key doesn't work with newer releases. I will remove VMwks.

>>Please post any more dump files you have.

Done. I have uploaded 7 additional dumps as DUMPS.ZIP

Many thanks for taking this on. Looking forward to your next.

Cheers,

-joe- :)

Attachments

• Dumps.zip
    2 MB · Views: 253
  • CBS.zip
    182.4 KB · Views: 205
...forgot the power supply info. I believe it's around 500w and a no-name brand. Last year by DVD burner would light up, open/close, but not spin up. Turned out to be it's power lead. I hooked an adapter to another lead and all was well. Which again is suspicious. I will firm-up the details on it when I get home after work.

-joe- :).

I just logged into the machine from here and the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (extensive test) had finished. Very uneventful detail, or lack thereof, as noted in the attached "WD-Diag_Extended--PASS.JPG"

I issued a Restart. Hopefully when I get home in an hour or so the Chkdsk you asked for will be well underway or finished.

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• WD-Diag_Extended--PASS.JPG
    WD-Diag_Extended--PASS.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 373
Hi Joe,
much thanks for the posts.

It looks like your OS could be corrupted. The windows system file check found corrupted files and repaired many of them but some it didn't.

Looks like a clean install is in order.. If you do the clean install and windows still bsod's please post the dumps. Oh and do run that memtest app... If it bsods after installing that is.

Last edited:
Hi...

I am very surprised at your response. What you identified from the SFC log is the help file viewer (WinHlp32.exe/.mui). In the face of all the other information I provided, to state the OS "could need" (??) a full re-install is not very confidence inspiring to say the least. I see no compelling reason to torch the system because of the HelpFileViewer, which can be fixed/replaced. I the absence of anything more convincing, thanks for your help.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff8800a7b4248, fffff8800a7b3aa0, fffff80002e88ac5}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExpInterlockedPopEntrySListFault16+0 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
the above is pointing to ntfs errors, how did the chkdsk pan out?

Yeah I checked the CBS log again and dam your right I was rushing when I looked through it so apologies for that..

Joe check your memory using memtest please.

Last edited:
The chkdsk was clean (log attached). Ntkrnlmp.exe (like ntoskrnl.exe) is a Windows component and was most likely driven to report a fault by something else. I know the power supply has at least one issue (previously described) + I found a RAM compatibility chart for my MB. Cricial "CT102464BA1339.M16" is not listed. I will contact Crucial later for confirmation.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Chkdsk.log_Mar.11.2014__.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 223
Back
Top Bottom