Windows 7 BSOD when I change resoludion on my second screen

jrameken

Hi,

Im kind of at my wits end here, ill explain. I have two screens, both Dell, one running natively at 1920x1200 (the primary one) and a second running in vertical at 1050x1680.

I generally do most of my gaming on the Main one and keep the MSN/mail/Firefox stuff running on the second, and as such most games I usually played in maximized but window mode. Now, recently I tried some out where the game does not run in window mode, when I enter/exit (alt+tab to desktop) these games the resolution on both screens switches. Usually when this happens, the secondary screen gives me the BSOD, I get a dump and the PC reboots.

I ahve tried isolting the problem as best I could - updated all my drivers, even disconnected the secondary screen and tried running games that made me BSOD on an alt_tab 100% of the time, and everything is fine when the seond screen isnt plugged in, but when it is, I get the errors, so it definitely has to do with my second screen somehow.

Right now my solution is to run gaems in window mode, but well, Id like to know what is causing these errors, maybe there is a fix for it!

My basic specs are

Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
4GB ram
Nvidia GTX285 video card

IVe attached a zip with the minidump files over the past few days, I would appreciate any help. :)

Cheers,

Jan

Attachments

• Minidump.rar
    142.3 KB · Views: 176
Hi and welcome.

1) Uninstall LogMeIn software as the drivers it has installed are too old.

2) Update your Realtek network driver:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009
Type systeminfo in a command prompt screen, then hit enter to see which you have. Then search for it on the left side of the link in # 4.

3) Uninstall Daemon Tools in the normal method. Then use this installer/uninstaller to remove sptd.sys from the system:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Install PowerISO for drive emulation, instead. Emulation part of the software is free forever.

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

4) Update the Realtek HD Audio driver:
Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Feb 17 03:52:52 2009
Realtek

5) Update your Creative drivers from their website:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

6) Install the monitor drivers from the manufacturers' websites.

Last edited:
I have never tried to run a game in a non-windows mode with a second monitor, but perhaps the game cannot handle two monitors. Or, perhpas it needs another form or two monitor display.

Try turning the second monitor back to a normal resolution (non-vertical) to see if it helps.

Not too sure how I missed it (probably because of so many things to be done), but in addition to all the above advice, update the video card driver too:
Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Tue Jan 12 00:26:35 2010
Link Removed - Invalid URL

-------

Update your Logitech mouse driver:

Code:
LMouFilt LMouFilt.Sys Wed Jun 17 12:49:43 2009
Support + Downloads

Hi, thanks for the fast reply! I did everything in your reply, except the driver for the second screen monitor, as Dell does not have any for Windows 7, so it is currently using the default generic PnP driver that comes with the Win7 install.

While the driver may appear outdated on the dmp files, if youll notice the alst one is updated to the latest, as thats the first thing I did when I saw this was a reurring error. Ill also update the logitech drivers, thanks for the follow-on tip.

Fortunately, so far so good, I tried running a few games, alt-tabbing, and such, and no BSOD so far! If I get another crash Ill post the dump here again, but if not, thanks for helping me fix my problem. :)

Well, it would appear my happiness was short-lived, I jsut recovered from another BSOD, under the same conditions, when the resolution on my second monitor changes.

IVe attached the dmp file for this most recent crash, hope it can help figure out WTH is wrong with my PC.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 081910-27346-01.zip
    29.7 KB · Views: 183
The LogMeIn software has not been uninstalled yet.

Very well could be malware, whether or not this copy of Windows was "found" online or purchased from a legitimate source.

I would scan the machine with Malwarebytes after updating the definitions. Let it remove anything it finds.

When done scanning, open an elevated command prompt. Copy/paste this to it then press enter:

sfc /scannow

You're having an error with a Windows 7 file called the Canonical Display driver. It's responsible for blending DirectX with the desktop. Malware often affects this file.

Code:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960006e9a65, fffff8800b57f210, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\cdd.dll, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cdd.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cdd.dll
Probably caused by : cdd.dll ( cdd+19a65 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff960006e9a65, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff8800b57f210, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.
If all is clean and well but errors persist, I would remove the Creative card from the system and test with onboard audio to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Strange, Logmein does not appear in my add remove programs, nor does it appear on my Pgrogram Files fodler. Ill run a full scan of Malwarebytes and keep you posted, thanks for the quick reply.

Delete these drivers in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and then reboot. Run Ccleaner to clean the registry.
Code:
lmimirr  lmimirr.sys  Tue Apr 10 18:32:45 2007
LMIRfsDriver LMIRfsDriver.sys Mon Jul 14 12:26:56 2008
Alpham264 Alpham264.sys Tue Mar 20 05:51:03 2007
Alpham164 Alpham164.sys Mon Jul 23 03:57:03 2007
Reboot and test.

OK, followed all your instructions - Malwarebytes only found one piece of malware (did a thorough search on every single one of my drives too, took about 2 hours :p), a pdf exploit trojan, so I got rid of that, and of the LMI remnants on the system. CCleaner took care of the rest, so my system should be 100% clean and up-to-date now.

So far, I cant reproduce the BSOD, even with my age-old Audigy 2 gard in the system, but as with yesterday Ill give it time and keep you posted if anything happens and I keep getting BSOD even after I remove the card.

Thanks for the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom