Windows 8 BSOD whenever I PLUG in my 2TB External

Mudkidd

I've had a 2TB WD My Passport external drive for a couple of months now without any problems. However, now when I plug it in to my computer, it gives me a BSOD with the message "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT."

I'm not sure what to do about this, and I really need my files on this drive. This is very frustrating.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, thanks.

** I posted in the WD forums, and was told to post here so someone can decipher the BSOD

Ok here's the zipped folder. I didn't plug in my external when doing this, because as I said, it gives me a BSOD right when I do that.

I hope this file helps!

Attachments

• W7F_28-11-2013.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 406
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {61946, fffffa80093e5640, 100bbb, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for asmtxhci.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asmtxhci.sys
Probably caused by : asmtxhci.sys ( asmtxhci+20770 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

all the dmp files point to the USB3 driver as a possible cause. You need to update the driver by either using the app found on the motherboards website (under utilities) :
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO/#support
Or visit the site found here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/10-drivers/40-asmedia

I noticed many RAID/SATA drivers installed some of which are really old neither could I find an audio or graphics driver in the last dmp file I checked. You could use your motherboards website as a guide to what drivers you need and look under our software section for the latest updates for graphics and audio.

Can you post the name and make of the external drive please.

It seems like all my drivers are up to date, according to my motherboard website. How do I update the drivers through the second website you sent me?

And the external drive is a WD My Passport Essentials, 2 TB drive.

Hi,
your actual USB3 controller is this:

qkih.jpg

The actual drivers and firmware (which I'd also update) I've arrowed:

tsyt.jpg

Update the above and see how you go..

That's great! Thank you so much for updating as it's always nice to know if a solution was found. Once again..Good job. :)

Back