Windows 10 BSOD: Windows 10 Memory Management

For the life me I cannot figure it out. Every day windows 10 has a bluescreen of death. Majority of them are Memory Managements as this one is now.

I have attached the entire file for the crashes its been having so far. Does anyone happen to know whats going on? It never did this in windows 7 :C

Its getting to the point to where I am about to go back to windows 7 and never look back. This whole experience has left a horrible taste for windows 10. Everything is always crashing...

Attachments

• W7F_13-08-2015.zip
    399.1 KB · Views: 1,152
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {41792, fffff680005b6a00, 100000000000000, 0}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( ONE_BIT )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as your already aware your dump files are memory related and I can also see that in the above Dump file you were using Pheonix Firestorm when it crashed. I checked this app and it is compatible with Windows 10. To be honest your not the first to have memory issues pop up. I helped another guy a couple of days ago and under Windows 7 his RAM was fine (or at least the faults didn't surface) After he installed windows 10 his RAM played like your is and eventual testing did show it to be faulty RAM. Why it never showed up in Windows 7 I'm unsure.. Perhaps Windows 10 uses or reports RAM slightly different and so catches errors more?
Anyway looking through your drivers the only thing I can see which may bear some relation is Avast which is known on occasion to cause the odd issue or two.. It might be worth uninstalling and just using the onboard Defender to see if the bsod stops.
Make sure you have installed the latest Windows 10 drivers by using your motherboard support page:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4955#dl

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away (you'll see errors outlined in red.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Post any new dump files

snip

Post any new dump files
I am 6 hours into the memory test. It looks like it will finish sooner than 12 hours. Its on 3/4 at 91%. So far zero errors. I did all the tests, Even the Hammer test. I will let you know the final results once they post.

An edit: I am posting this from old back up computer that I had lying around that runs windows 7.

Edit 2: Speak of the Devil. Nvidia apparently released some new drivers today. I have been told that my Nvidia drivers are the cause of a lot of the crashes and BSODs. Mayhaps this will fix it.

Last edited:
Ok well see how the testing goes. You do need to test for at least 12hrs if not longer but in any case if you try the new Nvidia driver but the bsod continues post any new dump files but also try running the driver verifier. Make sure you prepare a system recovery disk/USB first though just in case it starts to bsod on start up. (if you have a windows 10 install disk this will also work as you can boot from it and get into safe mode. Once in safe mode turn the verifier off)
This guide will show you how to run the verifier. Please post the dump files:
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

I performed the Ramcheck and everything came out fine. It finished earlier than 12 hours. It stopped at 10 hours and I think 15 minutes or so. No errors were detected, I ran all the tests, Even the hammer tests. I have performed an Nvidia driver update to the newest one they just released to day. I am going to try and wait to see if I have another bluescreen, If I do, I will try that driver verify thing you mentioned.

I did some looking into for that method, Apparently once you start doing it, It loads your drivers with stress until you can safely reproduce whats causing the crash. Thats partly the problem however, I have had at least 3 blue screens in which I was not doing a single thing on the computer, Windows just flashed to the blue screen and reset. One of them I did get a glimpse of the error before it reset, It said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

Any mods that may read this, Please do not lock this thread. I WILL be doing updates in the future on whether or not the newest Nvidia driver 355.60 is going to increase stability or not.

In windows Reliability checker? My computer is rated a 1/10...............

Edit: Kemical, Thank you so much by the way for taking the time out of your schedule to help me with these issues. I am sorry if I ever sound rude during any of these posts, I assure you I never mean to be or intend to be. Its just that these BSoDs can be so frustrating. I never once had to deal with them until I upgrade to windows 10. Everything ran just fine with no issues what so ever. ALl the problems started the day I hit "Clean install"

Last edited:
I did some looking into for that method, Apparently once you start doing it, It loads your drivers with stress until you can safely reproduce whats causing the crash. Thats partly the problem however, I have had at least 3 blue screens in which I was not doing a single thing on the computer, Windows just flashed to the blue screen and reset. One of them I did get a glimpse of the error before it reset, It said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL.
To be brutally honest that is the general idea. When debugging bsod's there are certain methods we follow and as no driver was mentioned in your dump files apart from the Phoenix application as well as the Bugcheck 1A result we test the RAM. Sometimes even Memtest86 fails to find the fault so we use other ways but let's see those dump files first.
Your correct about the driver verifier stressing your drivers and applications so that if they are suspect they may bsod. We only recommend running this when we get a situation like yours when a bsod has occurred and no driver is mentioned. Now you've run the verifier and gotten those dump files please post them in the forum so we can debug them.
Any mods that may read this, Please do not lock this thread. I WILL be doing updates in the future on whether or not the newest Nvidia driver 355.60 is going to increase stability or not.
Basically we are about half way through fixing your issue so please do post the dump files and let us finish the job.

Oh and we never close threads.. :)

Last edited:
Alright. I did the verifier. Unfortunately the PC kept rebooting endlessly until it eventually popped up with a menu that wanted me to repair windows. I managed to boot into safe mode, Ran the WF7 Diagnostic tool and it created a new dump file. For all I know, It could be the same as the last one. I never got it to produce a BSOD, It wouldn't even boot windows 10 normally.

Oh. While in safe mode, I opened an administrator command prompt after making the file and typed verifier /reset

Once I did that, Everything booted normally.

Edit: After checking the Reliability Checker, It looks like 9 things went wrong:
8 of them were "SearchUI.exe" with the following information:

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16425, time stamp: 0x55bec18d
Faulting module name: CortanaApi.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55bebfac
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000000151c23
Faulting process id: 0xbfc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d675bf1ab8d5
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\CortanaApi.dll
Report Id: 5e520967-7ab2-42a8-bc63-8bfba523af7b
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

The only other one during the constant reboots was:
Windows failed to start because of a problem with the System files.

Followed by "This operating system is not supported by Startup Repair."

Attachments

• W7F_14-08-2015.zip
    394.3 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800a555d997, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

Probably caused by : volsnap.sys ( volsnap!ExAllocateFromNPagedLookasideList+2e )

Hi,
basically the same well similar to the dumps posted the other day. The above dump file is showing issues with NTFS as well as volsnap.sys which is a windows driver. Just to add if the verfifier didn't produce a bsod then we may still be looking at some faulty RAM but if that's the case it will come evident eventually.
I also took a look at your DXdiag and it doesn't look right regarding the graphics driver. Also did you disable the audio on purpose?

Please run a chkdsk. This guide will show you how, do check the boxes to check for and repair broken sectors:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Open an admin command prompt (right click on start menu icon and choose from list) and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

I have a feeling your gpu driver installs have become corrupted. Use this application to un-install your current driver. It will also remove anything else which shouldn't be there and clean it out ready for the next driver. It has to be used whilst in safe mode:
DDU 15.4.0.0r2 Released - Wagnardmobile Forum

Install the latest Whql driver release:
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Once thats done please run this test which checks the gpu RAM:
HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES

I would also recommend removing Avast especially if it was installed when you upgraded.

Post any new dump files.

Alright, I did everything you said minus removing Avast. As for Avast, I have had a bad experience with Windows Defender not detecting things Avast would, So I can't go through with deleting it. So far, Nothing I can see points to avast being the cause of the bluescreens, I could be wrong, But if I have to choose windows 10 over Avast, Ill be going back to 7. I have been using it for 3 years now and only had one Blue screen. That was when I was doing stupid things trying out the Avast Sandbox mode when it first released. I know what caused that bluescreen back then (I accidentally put a major system process into the sandbox.)
As for the GPU ram check, That scan came back fine with no reported errors. I don't think its the hardware, As I have run plenty of benchmark tests for hours with no issues at all, Not to mention the video card is brand new. I know that sometimes new hardware can be bad, But I would have questioned its quality if I had problems back when I was using it on Windows 8.1. Remember, None of these BSODs happened until I installed windows 10. I had no issues at all.

Safe Booted, Ran DDU, Restarted and installed the complete 355.60 driver. As you noticed, The sound was reporting not functioning, This was indeed because I had intentionally removed them from the Nvidia driver install and only installed the graphics driver. This time around, I allowed Nvidia to install ALL of its drivers.

I am sorry I can't do the Avast Removal, I hope that does not cause us not to be able to figure everything out.

I am sorry I can't do the Avast Removal, I hope that does not cause us not to be able to figure everything out.
It's not super critical you remove it and hopefully we'll have discovered the issue so the point will be moot. Just to go back to the audio, you mention about not installing the sound portion of the graphics driver but what about the onboard sound? Your motherboard has it's own Hi Def audio device and i just wondered why you didn't use it?
Post any new dump files.

It's not super critical you remove it and hopefully we'll have discovered the issue so the point will be moot. Just to go back to the audio, you mention about not installing the sound portion of the graphics driver but what about the onboard sound? Your motherboard has it's own Hi Def audio device and i just wondered why you didn't use it?
Post any new dump files.
I do use the onboard audio. All my sound is connected through the ports on the motherboard. That was one of the reasons I removed it, I wanted to see if maybe it was parts of the driver I didn't even need causing the crashes. So far no crashes. It might be a few days before my next post, The next post I will do will happen if a BSOD occurs again with the dump files.

If I don't get one in 2 weeks, I will deem the issue fixed via the Nvidia update. I honestly think thats the cause of everything, The Nvidia drivers.

*Update*
So far, it has been a few days and I have not had a single bluescreen or program crash since the Nvidia driver update to 355.60. It appears as if all the crashes and problems were indeed related to the Nvidia drivers being faulty. Before the update, My web browsers and games would have crashed at least 5 times every 2 hours. Since then, I have not had a single program crash.

I will continue to update this thread periodically with news on stability.

Sounds good. To be honest it was probably because you first ran the Display driver uninstaller as this creates a clean environment to install in. In any case good luck and hope all goes well.

Yet another memory management issue. Windows 10 and AMD/ATI do not seem to get along well. The system I'm on now--my work system--has an ATI radeon GPU, and a system I use at home has a discreet ATI video card. Windows 10 did not play well with either one. At home I've yet to encounter a BSOD, but I did have to force windows into taking the legacy drivers for the video card (it's an 8 year old machine with an equally old card), and it seems to be working just fine. The work machine, however, has an embedded GPU and the only drivers I found available from AMD have not remedied the situation and I can't just pull it out. So, I've attached the grab all file, hopefully there's useful information in there.
I don't have a big problem going back to windows 8.1--with which, of course, I was having no problems. It would just mean I've wasted work time trying to figure out how to resolve the issue--not to mention the many times I've had to reboot d/t BSOD.
I haven't seen a BSOD in years. I wasn't sure I was really seeing what I was seeing.
Maybe this is a conspiracy to get people to buy machines built for windows 10 ;)

Attachments

• W7F_15-09-2015.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 886
Code:

BugCheck 1A, {3f, c6b, 4c436ba9, 1c1a38b3}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiValidatePagefilePageHash+285 )

Hi,
all your dump files were like the above. I seen this error occur a number of times now with users having hardware similar to yours and it might be a case that there is some sort of compatibility issue.
Please use the Display driver uninstaller i linked to above ( post #8 ) and then re-install the driver shown below. When you do tho please make sure you turn off any security apps as these can affect AMD driver installs.
Here is the latest driver for your APU:
Desktop
amd gpu.JPG

I would still test your RAM simply to cross it off the list of possibilities.

Hmm... A crafty way of avoiding our spam detection no doubt.

Hmm.. A solution of sorts but when does a solution almost border on being spam?

Back