Windows 10 BSOD with stop code IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal when alt+tab out of games

xCarpeNoctem

Hi this is my first post here and have I ran into a brickwall involving my BSOD. My computer that I got a month ago has been giving me BSODs with stop code IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal. It seems to have a higher chance of happening when I alt tab out of my fullscreen games. I downloaded Whocrashed and it shows the following:

On Thu 5/18/2017 2:36:30 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051817-18562-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF1EA0266D000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80037770236)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 5/18/2017 2:36:30 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rtl8192su.sys (RTL8192su+0x17F9A)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF1EA0266D000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80037770236)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rtl8192su.sys
product: Realtek RTL8192S Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
company: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
description: Realtek RTL8192S USB NDIS Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rtl8192su.sys (Realtek RTL8192S USB NDIS Driver, Realtek Semiconductor Corporation ).
Google query: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have tried finding the drivers for Realtek RTL8192S USB NDIS Driver, Realtek Semiconductor Corporation but cant seem to find anything relating to rtl8192su.

Here are my specs:

Asus H170 Pro Gaming motherboard
Asus Strix Rx 480 8gb
Intel i5-6600k CPU @ 3.50GHz
WD 1TB WD Caviar Blue 3.5" SATA Desktop
Kingston 8GB HyperX DDR4 2133 MHZ UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 4GB)
EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W PSU

Attachments

• W7F_18-05-2017.zip
    474.5 KB · Views: 306
Hi,
as this is the latest build I need to download the symbols related to debugging this version of the os. Back shortly.

Hi,
whilst waiting on the symbol download I can still take a quick look see and from what you posted above this driver:
RTL8192su.sys Thu Mar 28 07:41:32 2013: Realtek RTL8192SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter Driver
Needs updating..

I checked your motherboard support page (your first port of call whenever a system driver is needed) and you do have updates pending for Windows 10 under LAN:
network.JPG

H170-PRO | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom

Try updating the driver and see if the bsod's stop.

Send any new bsod after making the above changes.

Hi,
whilst waiting on the symbol download I can still take a quick look see and from what you posted above this driver:
RTL8192su.sys Thu Mar 28 07:41:32 2013: Realtek RTL8192SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter Driver
Needs updating..

I checked your motherboard support page (your first port of call whenever a system driver is needed) and you do have updates pending for Windows 10 under LAN:
View attachment 34827
H170-PRO | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom

Try updating the driver and see if the bsod's stop.

Send any new bsod after making the above changes.
Thank you for your insight! Will be downloading it now and will see how it goes!

*edit*
it seems the motherboard you were looking at is not the same as mine since I have the US version and the link you shared seems to be the UK version. I have this one:
H170 PRO GAMING | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Should I still donwnload the drivers from the UK website?

Hmm... I'm not sure these are the same motherboard as one has the word 'Gaming' and the other doesn't..

What's puzzling is that your version with the 'gaming' inserted in the title seems to only have Intel wifi drivers whereas the other version (the 'wrong' version) has the correct drivers or at least looks like it... Weird..

Can you double check which model you have and I'll check your dump files too.

Last edited:
Ok I think i know what i did, I must have highlighted 'Asus H170 Pro' only without the gaming included sorry.

However;

This still doesn't explain why that driver is on your system? Have you tried checking Device manager to see if you actually have that component?

Ok I think i know what i did, I must have highlighted 'Asus H170 Pro' only without the gaming included sorry.

However;

This still doesn't explain why that driver is on your system? Have you tried checking Device manager to see if you actually have that component?
No problem! The only thing I see involving realtek are the hd audio drivers. A person from another forum suggested that it may be my wireless adapter card that is 6 years old. Do you think these services or drivers have anything to do with that? It shows up as belkin wireless adapter in device manager.
Would like your opinion on this thank you!

Last edited:
A person from another forum suggested that it may be my wireless adapter card that is 6 years old.
Quite possible especially as your original site only has audio drivers and it's a wireless card but we'll see.

I did a quick search and it would seem that there is a Belkin which uses a Realtek RTL8192SU solution:
Wifi adapter not working on Windows 10 - [Solved] - Windows 10

The driver update included dates from 2012 so not sure if that helps but let us know.

Quite possible especially as your original site only has audio drivers and it's a wireless card but we'll see.

I did a quick search and it would seem that there is a Belkin which uses a Realtek RTL8192SU solution:
Wifi adapter not working on Windows 10 - [Solved] - Windows 10

The driver update included dates from 2012 so not sure if that helps but let us know.
Will be buying a new adapter tomorrow! Will let you know how it goes!

Good luck Carpe!
So I just bought a new adapter: Amazon.com: OURLINK 600Mbps mini 802.11ac Dual Band 2.4G/5G Wireless Network Adapter USB Wi-Fi Dongle Adapter with 5dBi Antenna Support Windows XP,Win Vista,Win 7,Win 8.1, Win 10,Mac OS X 10.6-10.12.4: Computers & Accessories

And ran into another problem lol. So this adapter is not picking up the internet speeds that it is suppose to. Im getting only 3mbps on this desktop while my laptop is getting 60+mbps. I do wanna test my bsod issues but I cant really play my games with such low speeds especially with family members under the same network. Any thoughts?

So I just bought a new adapter: Amazon.com: OURLINK 600Mbps mini 802.11ac Dual Band 2.4G/5G Wireless Network Adapter USB Wi-Fi Dongle Adapter with 5dBi Antenna Support Windows XP,Win Vista,Win 7,Win 8.1, Win 10,Mac OS X 10.6-10.12.4: Computers & Accessories

And ran into another problem lol. So this adapter is not picking up the internet speeds that it is suppose to. Im getting only 3mbps on this desktop while my laptop is getting 60+mbps. I do wanna test my bsod issues but I cant really play my games with such low speeds especially with family members under the same network. Any thoughts?
Hmm... Is the laptop in use closer to the router? Also if the pc is in some out of the way corner you might be seeing the slowdown. See if re-locating either the pc or router helps..

SOLVED! turns out my adapter did not have drivers for the updated windows 10. Bought a new linksys adapter with updated windows drivers and got my internet speed back!

Will continue to monitor my first problem involving the bsod!

If you should blue screen again please include the dump files. In any case, best of luck!

Nice job! Well done and if any problems re-occur pop back.. :)

Back