Windows 7 BSOD with Win7 x64 when waking from sleep mode

Chrisboy

Hello,
Ever since updating from vista to win7 x64 I have had a problem where win7 will BSOD when it wakes from sleep mode. It does this every time and never used to with vista. I can work around this by not letting my computer sleep but I'd like to fix it. Whocrashed provides this info (dmp file attached)

On Thu 27/05/2010 11:18:18 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x33339430694D, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002D6BA2F)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052710-22245-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

I keep my drivers/programs updated as best as I can. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• dump file.rar
    21.9 KB · Views: 189
Device Driver Conflict

The problem is in regards to your drivers, some of which have likely been inherited from Windows Vista.

After some intense research, I found your problem on what appears to be a Swedish forum site, translated by Google: Google Translate

The error code itself is not familiar to me, but the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or clearly defined and has been for years. A device on the system is causing Windows itself to fail.

Unfortunately, the best way to solve this problem is going to have to be a thorough assessment of all of the devices on your system and their drivers or a clean install of Windows (You will want to back everything important up if you do this).

What I suggest you do is go to Free Driver Update Software - Device Doctor and try this freeware program. Try to avoid installing the toolbar on install.

This program will do a scan to see what devices can be updated with newer drivers. I have never used the program before until today, but it looks solid. The main problem is when you are upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, any newer drivers that are not locatable on the DVD (and to Microsoft's credit there are tens of thousands of drivers on the DVD), will be kept as Windows Vista drivers. Sometimes Windows 7 install will assume that the Windows Vista drivers are better than the compatibility drivers they have, if they are digitally signed by a 3rd party vendor. But what you need are the latest drivers for Windows 7.

Check out that program. You can see a list of your devices by going to Start -> Search -> devmgmt.msc

Welcome to the forums, and best of luck!

Thanks for your help Mike. I used the driver update program you suggested and it found a few things to update. I got really excited when I then tested waking from sleep as it worked fine...for about a minute before BSODing again. This time the error was (dmp attached)

On Fri 28/05/2010 2:03:46 PM your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002CF1A5F, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052810-23743-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

When I upgraded I went from vista 32bit to win7 x64 so had to do a clean install so I doubt I have old vista drivers causing problems. I'll test a few more times and see what happens.

Attachments

• dmp.rar
    23.9 KB · Views: 196
So now I can consistently wake up from sleep to the desktop and it will sit there happily. But when I start doing anything it will BSOD within minutes. Here are the last couple of crashes

On Fri 28/05/2010 10:15:15 PM your computer crashed

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002C9CA5F, 0xFFFFF880099770F0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052810-22058-01.dmp

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Fri 28/05/2010 2:23:01 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002CB2A5F, 0xFFFFF88009BF20F0, 0x0)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052810-21543-01.dmp
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Unless anyone can pinpoint which driver might be giving me problems I'll just revert to the "never put it in sleep mode" solution. Thanks for your help.
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2 dmp.rar
    51.2 KB · Views: 188
The best way to fix OS upgrade problems - do a clean 7 install from CD to wipe all Vista traces. 7 clean install takes only ~15 minutes on a decent system

Hooray! I updated my gigabyte motherboard bios using @BIOS and have just had my first error free waking from sleep. I'll keep testing over the next few days and report back if it's properly fixed. Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom