Windows 7 BSODs on Sleep and In Low Power States

pinhead

I just assembled a desktop, and shortly after I began using the machine(days), it started to give different BSODs coming out of sleep. Sometimes it appears to happen during sleep although I am not sure(someone may have woke my computer during the sleep). I have run memtest86+ tests with no notable results, as well as chkdsk and sfc. I also ran one of the HDD diagnostics on the UBCD. There appears to be no issues with the filesystem. Apart from this BSOD happening on waking up, the computer runs perfectly and the CPU temp maxes out at about 45 Celsius.

The latest internal device I installed was a TP-Link n300 PCIE wireless card. The BSOD events may or may not have coincided with the installation of this device. I have noticed that today, on my network, everyone's traffic slows to a crawl when the device is connected to the network. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the BSOD events or the network issues.

I also noticed that one time, the system resumed successfully, although it was painfully slow to respond. It almost seemed like a hard drive issue. Most of the BSODs say it's a driver fault though.

I have several minidump files that I am posting. I am not sure if the oldest or most recent is best to look at first, but I have no idea what I'm looking at anyway. Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam

Let me know if I can provide anything that would help with a diagnosis.

Attachments

• 041115-26816-01.dmp
    288 KB · Views: 208
  • 041315-18907-01.dmp
    291.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 041915-22370-01.dmp
    338.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 041915-25755-01.dmp
    359.3 KB · Views: 204
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C5, {fffff28009a7a168, 2, 1, fffff80002ffc627}

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!WfpPoolAllocNonPaged+17 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
it does look like the issue is Network related and you could always try a simple test of removing the recently installed component to see if the bsod stops.
Checking the drivers I couldn't find a driver listed for the wireless device you installed. If you haven't alreay please install the latest driver from the support site:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WN881ND_V1.html#Driver

I also found this:
athrx.sys Wed Nov 24 00:11:58 2010: Atheros network adapter driver. I'm a little intrigues as to why this is on your system as you have don't have an Atheros based network card. I'd remove it if your done using it.

Please run the Intel driver update utility:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

nvlddmkm.sys Wed Jul 02 18:42:02 2014: Nvidia GPU driver please update:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If after making the above changes the bsod continues use the driver verifier to try and find the culprit. This guide will show you how. Please post any new dump files:
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/09/using-driver-verifier-to-fix-a-blue-screen-of-death/

Code:

BugCheck C5, {fffff28009a7a168, 2, 1, fffff80002ffc627}

Thanks for the help. I'll give everything a shot and report back. The athrx.sys is the driver file that is distributed on the TP-Link website for the device. I have installed the latest verison and another BSOD was given this morning. This time, driver verifier caused it so it may have more useful information than the others. Do you have any idea why I'm getting NTFS BSODs if it's a networking problem? I interested to know how they're related.
Thanks again.

It is odd... If I remember correctly I'm sure there was a Bugcheck 24 (NTFS errors) in the dumps you sent. It may be the case that whatever contained the files or software related to the bsod was corrupted in some way or got corrupted by something else. Sometimes with blue screens it's a case of finding the hidden culprit and it's not always so straight forward.
When you ran the chkdsk did you also use the command to find and repair broken sectors? Similarly when you ran the SFC or system file checker did it say it had found corrupt files and repaired them or nothing it all?
Have you checked your Event log just in case there may be anything of interest. I know that much of it doesn't mean a great deal but you never know and it might be worth just looking over the past few events to see if anything crops up.
I'm always happy to read more dump files so if you have em just send them in. :)

It is odd... If I remember correctly I'm sure there was a Bugcheck 24 (NTFS errors) in the dumps you sent. It may be the case that whatever contained the files or software related to the bsod was corrupted in some way or got corrupted by something else. Sometimes with blue screens it's a case of finding the hidden culprit and it's not always so straight forward.
When you ran the chkdsk did you also use the command to find and repair broken sectors? Similarly when you ran the SFC or system file checker did it say it had found corrupt files and repaired them or nothing it all?
Have you checked your Event log just in case there may be anything of interest. I know that much of it doesn't mean a great deal but you never know and it might be worth just looking over the past few events to see if anything crops up.
I'm always happy to read more dump files so if you have em just send them in. :)

I ran chkdsk /r, I believe. The SFC run did not find any problems. I have the other BSOD that occurred this morning. It appears to be the driver verifier which forced the shutdown. This is very weird considering I reset/disabled the driver verifier yesterday.

The BSOD below only tells me that the likely problem is ntkrnlm.exe. I'll try getting the intel driver update utility now.

Attachments

• 042115-18626-01.dmp
    315.1 KB · Views: 194
Code:

BugCheck C4, {91, 2, fffffa8006be9780, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4884 )

Hey,
I did a little research and this is an later version (2012) of the driver your currently using for the device with the Atheros based driver. This is for the 'inf' so you'll probably have to install via device manger and the 'have disk' method:
https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-inf-file.php?inf=276&chipset=37&system=5

I thought your device sounded familiar. Please read the first few posts of this thread:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/bsod-on-new-computer.196045/
Thanks. I was using my computer for a few days without any issues. I have been keeping it on to make sure that I provided enough opportunity for sleep mode to kick in and possibly cause a crash. This morning I woke the computer and all seemed fin until I checked on it about 20 minutes later. It had powered itself down. I started the computer up again and found that it crashed. Upon checking the minidump file, it is again caused by NETIO.

I went to the atheros.cz website and downloaded the latest driver for the network card(2014 I believe). Is there anything in the new dump file that can be used to diagnose the problem? I'm very tempted to do just do a reinstall and track down the latest drivers for all the devices. Just watching a video on windbg and driver verifier. I'm totally clueless, haha. All I can say is thanks for sticking with me as far as you have.

Attachments

• 042315-42104-01.dmp
    291.4 KB · Views: 203
Code:

BugCheck C5, {fffffac80838f788, 2, 1, fffff800031f8157}

Hi,
I can see in the call stack ( a blow by blow account of the last sub routines) that this is a network related issue and I'd try removing the newly installed device and driver. If the bsod sdoesn't re-occur then you know you have your culprit. Another thing you could try is a different PCIE slot.
I see you've also updated the Atheros driver but yet you still got a blue screen. I wonder if the unit itself is faulty? I would also look at any other network related apps you have installed and view them with suspicion. It could well be something that's clashing, what are you using for Anti-Virus protection?

Code:

BugCheck C5, {fffffac80838f788, 2, 1, fffff800031f8157}

Hi,
I can see in the call stack ( a blow by blow account of the last sub routines) that this is a network related issue and I'd try removing the newly installed device and driver. If the bsod sdoesn't re-occur then you know you have your culprit. Another thing you could try is a different PCIE slot.
I see you've also updated the Atheros driver but yet you still got a blue screen. I wonder if the unit itself is faulty? I would also look at any other network related apps you have installed and view them with suspicion. It could well be something that's clashing, what are you using for Anti-Virus protection?

Thanks, I'll try removing it and going wired for a couple of days to see if the issue reoccurs. I am using MalwareBytes. If it solves the problem then I'll test the other port and then buy another device if the same BSOD occurs.

Ok sounds good please post any new dump files should they occur.

Ok sounds good please post any new dump files should they occur.
I've got an update. I removed the card from my system after uninstalling its driver. I also determined that Geforce Experience was causing extreme slowdowns on my network when the process was running. Long story short, I had another crash today. It seems like the BSODs are getting more frequent, although they are still exclusively when the system is resuming from sleep.

My computer completely powers down after about 30 minutes of inactivity. It's not hibernating, either. I think it may be hybrid sleep. The power light is off during this period. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 042415-21372-01.dmp
    291.4 KB · Views: 218
Code:

BugCheck 50, {fffffffffffffba8, 0, fffff800030ef1ac, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ObReferenceObjectSafe+c )

Hi,
yup that sounds like hibernation. Windows 7 is the worst out of all the os for this issue of blue screening when coming out of sleep. Now you've removed the WiFi component we might be getting to the root of the issue. As I mentioned above the real cause can often be hiding behind something else and it's just case of tracking it down. Bugcheck 50 can be a scary bugcheck to get and can be basically caused by:

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Try another chkdsk but this time follow the guide here. This gives you two methods and it's important that whichever method you use that you search for and repair broken sectors.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Test your Vram using this app:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

I know you already ran Memtest86 without any issue. It might be the case that you simply didn't run the app for long enough. We recommend running for 12hrs but even then that sometimes still isn't long enough to catch the error. Probably your best and most simple option is to run the machine on one stick of RAM at a time. Allow it to hibernate and see if the bsod re-occurs. If it does swap sticks and try again, see if there is a stick which doesn't bsod.

Lastly can you post a bit more information about your new build. Were all the parts new or did you already have some components from an other build?

What Anti-Virus do you use?

Code:

BugCheck 50, {fffffffffffffba8, 0, fffff800030ef1ac, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ObReferenceObjectSafe+c )

Hi,
yup that sounds like hibernation. Windows 7 is the worst out of all the os for this issue of blue screening when coming out of sleep. Now you've removed the WiFi component we might be getting to the root of the issue. As I mentioned above the real cause can often be hiding behind something else and it's just case of tracking it down. Bugcheck 50 can be a scary bugcheck to get and can be basically caused by:

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Try another chkdsk but this time follow the guide here. This gives you two methods and it's important that whichever method you use that you search for and repair broken sectors.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Test your Vram using this app:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

I know you already ran Memtest86 without any issue. It might be the case that you simply didn't run the app for long enough. We recommend running for 12hrs but even then that sometimes still isn't long enough to catch the error. Probably your best and most simple option is to run the machine on one stick of RAM at a time. Allow it to hibernate and see if the bsod re-occurs. If it does swap sticks and try again, see if there is a stick which doesn't bsod.

Lastly can you post a bit more information about your new build. Were all the parts new or did you already have some components from an other build?

What Anti-Virus do you use?

Thanks for the direction. I ended up reinstalling windows and installing only the drivers that I need. After all that, the problem still occurs.

After seeing your response, I uninstalled one of my RAM modules(slot 2 I believe). Interestingly enough, when the computer was sleeping I had an error, just as before. Only this time, when it woke up, there was no BSOD, but there were some of those irregularly shaped green artifacts on the screen. When I logged in, I got an error notification saying this:

Code:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
224c(1834) 05000756 ffffffff

I'm going to wait until the end of the day to see if I get another BSOD or memory dump. If I do, I'll swap out the memory for the other module and wait a day to see if the fault still occurs. If it does, I think it's safe to say that the memory isn't causing this problem. I will then remove my GPU and the driver, going off of integrated graphics to see if the issue is resolved.

Those are just my thoughts, although this isn't my area of specialty so please do let me know if I'm wrong or my process seems flawed. At this point, do you think it's safe to assume that we are looking for a hardware issue?

EDIT: I forgot to add that the build includes all new components.

Last edited:
Hey,
it sounds like your working in the right direction and to be honest troubleshooting can be a long drawn out process. The one good thing so far is that the bsod didn't reappear so perhaps you are on the right track. If I can help in any way just ask.

Back
Top Bottom