Windows 7 built in High Definition Audio doesn't work

blue

Toshiba P105-S1624

Conexant High Definition Audio Device

Device Manager list:

High Definition Audio Device

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Have tried downloading from Toshiba: driver_audio_conexant_25636A

But get Conexant High Definition Audio FAILURE.

If I try to uninstall the device but on a scan windows 7 wants to install a driver that doesn't work.

If I then right click on the device and select Update Driver Software... and browse to where it is located
windows 7 still tells me that my device is up to date.

anyone else have this issue?

Toshiba P105-S1624

Conexant High Definition Audio Device

Device Manager list:

High Definition Audio Device

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Have tried downloading from Toshiba: driver_audio_conexant_25636A

But get Conexant High Definition Audio FAILURE.

If I try to uninstall the device but on a scan windows 7 wants to install a driver that doesn't work.

If I then right click on the device and select Update Driver Software... and browse to where it is located
windows 7 still tells me that my device is up to date.

anyone else have this issue?
Toshiba P105-S1624
is that a Full model name? Is it a Laptop or Desktop?

What Operating system Audio driver you tried to install from Toshiba's site?

I could not locate S1624 . Could it be a Laptop: Toshiba Satellite-P105-S6124?

I have an ASUS A6VC and I get the same error. Audio was working under 7048.

If it worked under Build 7048 it is expected to work under Build 7100. Did you do an upgarde or Clean Install? did you get new VISTA drivers from ASUS driver download site for your Audio device?

Last edited:
realtek hdaudio drivers worked under 7048.. now they don't. I did a clean install and the microsoft drivers are unable to start the device. Asus doesn't have drivers for Vista for this device (ALC880).

Did you download the freeware utilities I posted above.

This will give a much more detailed information for your system.

that way, you can look up the exact number rather than trying all different types of drivers.

I know what equipment I got.. it's ALC880 from Realtek. I always used realtek hd audio drivers .. in xp, vista and windows 7.. now the problem is W7 RC doesn't like those drivers.

realtek hdaudio drivers worked under 7048.. now they don't. I did a clean install and the microsoft drivers are unable to start the device. Asus doesn't have drivers for Vista for this device (ALC880).
Since the Computer manufacturer has no Vista drivers you are in a tough situation. But Sound worked OK in Build 7048, whatever driver you have used in that build must work in 7100 ( provided you have a Win 7 Build 7100 download that matches the MD5 Checksum of real MS RC Build 7100 assuring file integrity).

Have you saved the driver file that worked in Build 7048?

What exactly you meant by
realtek hdaudio drivers worked under 7048.. now they don't
How EXACTLY you tried to install the above driver in the current Custom Install of Win 7 Build 7100?

Did you use the Setup.EXE>Wizard method of installation or DM> Inf. method?

Try these two Google searches. maybe what you need is the proper codec.

Realtek HD Audio codecs?

Realtek HDAudio codecs - Google Search

ALC880 from Realtek - Google Search

or contact techniccal support:
Realtek

Man .. I understand you are trying to help.. but.. what does make you think I have problems finding the drivers? The drivers are at realtek website! That's not the point finding the drivers.. the point is build 7100 doesn't like the LATEST AND CORRECT drivers available.

Since the Computer manufacturer has no Vista drivers you are in a tough situation. But Sound worked OK in Build 7048, whatever driver you have used in that build must work in 7100 ( provided you have a Win 7 Build 7100 download that matches the MD5 Checksum of real MS RC Build 7100 assuring file integrity).

Have you saved the driver file that worked in Build 7048?

What exactly you meant by
How EXACTLY you tried to install the above driver in the current Custom Install of Win 7 Build 7100?

Did you use the Setup.EXE>Wizard method of installation or DM> Inf. method?

... I'll try to be more specific about the situation: I KNOW how to install a driver. I know where to find the drivers and I have the LATEST DRIVERS available from the MANUFACTURER WEBSITE.. REALTEK .. the point is: BUILD 7100 doesn't want to use those drivers.. Drivers which are CORRECT for the equipment. Did I make myself clear? Are you going to suggest to run setup.exe or to try an oem install again? Or maybe to google for the hdaudio drivers?
This forum doesn't have a clue!

Last edited:
Man .. I understand you are trying to help.. but.. what does make you think I have problems finding the drivers? The drivers are at realtek website! That's not the point finding the drivers.. the point is build 7100 doesn't like the LATEST AND CORRECT drivers available.

... I'll try to be more specific about the situation: I KNOW how to install a driver. I know where to find the drivers and I have the LATEST DRIVERS available from the MANUFACTURER WEBSITE.. REALTEK .. the point is: BUILD 7100 doesn't want to use those drivers.. Drivers which are CORRECT for the equipment. Did I make myself clear? Are you going to suggest to run setup.exe or to try an oem install again? Or maybe to google for the hdaudio drivers?

Hi Chriz74,

Since communication in the forum is limited to text and uploaded images only and not audible words, visual clues or tactile responses to and from the computer to those who try to help, unless there is explicit information like you have posted in this response, there would be assumptions made on either side which can be at times incomplete, totally wrong, or even misleading which raise the existing frustration to an even higher level . Further queries or suggestions are in no way to question your knowledge, skill or understanding but are only meant to clarify the context or presented data to suggest the next logical step to solve the problem.
Some who volunteer to answer questions in the Forum from an individual might want that Q&A to be useful to countless others who might not be asking any questions directly but just read forums for information when they land on this Forum while using search terms in search engines. Therefore answers or clarifications may look too elementary to someone like you with obviously greater knowledge and skill as shown in this most recent thread, but a lot of others with less skill also might benefit from such very clear to and fro responses.

Are you going to suggest to run setup.exe or to try an oem install again? Or maybe to google for the hdaudio drivers
None of the above.

To prevent Win 7 Beta from installing a driver that might not be working, you may install the driver that worked in the previous installation through a modified method to prevent interference from Windows 7's own driver. If you haven't already tried driver Installation in Safe Mode that would be my next suggestion. I don't intend to make you feel any more upset by giving all the detailed steps unless you specifically ask for them.

I will admit , I did not quite understand all the background information from your original very brief post and therefore I had to aks followup clarification questions, but there are so many capable people answering questions in this Forum and helping those in need for answers very effectively using different style. So I will personally take the blame if you are offended in any way and the Forum as a whole shouldn't be held responsible for that.

Good luck Chriz74:)

Last edited:
Realtek HDA Problem in Windows 7 RC

Hi,

I have the same sort of problem with Realtek HDA. I installed Windows 7 Build 7100 from a fresh install.

No matter which driver I use (Microsoft Driver installed automatically or Realtek Audio Codec R2.22) I get a Code 39 "Windows cannot load the device driver... the driver may be corrupted or missing." My method for installing the driver was to erase the driver through Device Manager and then re-install. Same Code 39 result.

I also attempted to install the driver in Safe Mode. It actually installed the Microsoft driver "successfully" in safe mode, which it would not do on a regular boot, but when I re-booted, I still get a Code 39. The taskbar volume control icon says "No Audio Output Device Installed."

I built this PC with a EVGA 680i board. The EVGA audio driver does not work either.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to sort this problem out all day. Thanks.

-Daniel-

Hi,

I have the same sort of problem with Realtek HDA. I installed Windows 7 Build 7100 from a fresh install.

No matter which driver I use (Microsoft Driver installed automatically or Realtek Audio Codec R2.22) I get a Code 39 "Windows cannot load the device driver... the driver may be corrupted or missing." My method for installing the driver was to erase the driver through Device Manager and then re-install. Same Code 39 result.

I also attempted to install the driver in Safe Mode. It actually installed the Microsoft driver "successfully" in safe mode, which it would not do on a regular boot, but when I re-booted, I still get a Code 39. The taskbar volume control icon says "No Audio Output Device Installed."

I built this PC with a EVGA 680i board. The EVGA audio driver does not work either.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to sort this problem out all day. Thanks.

-Daniel-
I will try to post one of the ways I used to troubleshoot the issue. I volunteered to post the steps last time (see above)but never got to them for obvious reasons :)

1. Reboot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during Restart.
  2. Open Device Manager
  3. Scroll down to System Devices
  4. Expand System Devices
  5. Locate the HDA and Right click>Disable ( don't uninstall)
  6. Reboot in Safe Mode again ( so that driver is not loaded)
  7. Revisit DM>System Devices>Right click HDA >UNINSTALL ( the older RLT Driver is now removed)
  8. Reboot
  9. Windows detects new hardware > the Audio Device.
  10. But Do not let Windows install its driver which we painstakingly disabled in safe mode and prevented it once
  11. You Browse to your Driver of choice saved previously on Desktop or Flash drive or wherever and lead Windows to pick that. ( Ideally if you can extract the downloaded Audio driver using 7zip to the INF files and then drag DM by its ears through the path to the target .Inf file it would be better at times than clicking EXE File>Installation Wizard> Instaaltion of driver
  12. Windows might be finally happy to install HDA successfully.
Good luck. It has helped me in similar situation. Your reply will be valuable to others one way or the other:)

Thanks for the response. Valiant effort, but the same Code 39 Error pops up. It is odd, but when I'm in Safe Mode the driver (RealTek Driver) shows that it is installed successfully. However, when I boot Windows it continues to say "No Audio Input Device is Installed."

Just for kicks, I took out my Audigy SE from another machine and stuck it in. It does the same thing. I can install the driver, but the Code 39 still appears. When Windows tries to re-install the driver after I click on the icon on the task bar, it cannot successfully re-install. Windows doesn't seem to want to recognize either the sound card of the on-board Realtek HDA.

I think it is a stretch, but could there be either a driver conflict or even a BIOS complication? I only have a GeForce 8800GTS installed running Nvidia's Windows 7 drivers, and a wireless network card which is (obviously) working. No other add-on cards. The BIOS is the latest.

The Audigy SE is pretty old, so I'm not too confounded by its incompatibility. But the R.22 Realtek driver states (in its Readme) that it is Windows 7 compatible. I'm stumped, but thanks again.

Thanks for the response. Valiant effort, but the same Code 39 Error pops up. It is odd, but when I'm in Safe Mode the driver (RealTek Driver) shows that it is installed successfully. However, when I boot Windows it continues to say "No Audio Input Device is Installed."

Just for kicks, I took out my Audigy SE from another machine and stuck it in. It does the same thing. I can install the driver, but the Code 39 still appears. When Windows tries to re-install the driver after I click on the icon on the task bar, it cannot successfully re-install. Windows doesn't seem to want to recognize either the sound card of the on-board Realtek HDA.

I think it is a stretch, but could there be either a driver conflict or even a BIOS complication? I only have a GeForce 8800GTS installed running Nvidia's Windows 7 drivers, and a wireless network card which is (obviously) working. No other add-on cards. The BIOS is the latest.

The Audigy SE is pretty old, so I'm not too confounded by its incompatibility. But the R.22 Realtek driver states (in its Readme) that it is Windows 7 compatible. I'm stumped, but thanks again.
In the Windows\ system32 folder windows keeps a stock of old drivers anticipating a roll back from us and it often pushes the old and useless drivers down the throat when it can. That is why we get the problem . If we can stop that and then lead the device manager to the exact driver folder containing the .Inf and .Sys files for say VISTA 32 or X64 corresponding to our Win 7 Bit it ,often installs OK. So if Driver install via wizard fails I use this INF method. To make it a very prestine enevironment with no interference from any Antivirus etc, I disable all AVP/Firewall during the install. If you haven't tried that see if you can extract the exe to its components and save them to a folder for easy navigation. After not letting windows Automatically install its old drivers from System32 (by cancel) go to DM > Audio with ! Right click >Update Driver> I will find the driver >> Browse to folder where you have the Inf & Sys. It uses the Inf to install Sys.

After a fresh install I was able to get the audio working (ALC880). I installed the drivers from Realtek using setup.exe. They did not work only after an upgrade which was forced through an .ini file.

I couldn't get the driver to take, even under the .ini method. I formatted the partition, reinstalled Windows 7 RC, and as soon as it loaded for the first time, the windows drivers took hold and the sound worked. One of those things.

Thanks again for the help.

That is totally unfair to suggest the forum doesent have a clue . Windows 7 is a new OS still not retail and we are all playing catch up . Working to find fixes for problems and learning on the wing . Very unfair critisism .

Last edited:
Hi. I registered just to add to this thread as I have had pretty much exactly the same problem.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite P100, and using the High Definition Audio device as well. I'm a fairly advanced user, so I know how to work my way around these things. Previously I was running Windows 7 build 7077 and I simply downloaded and manually installed the drivers and they worked flawlessly. Now in Windows 7 RC, I downloaded the driver for it from Toshiba's website for Vista, and when trying to manually install it it would come up as "Failed to install", but miraculously sound would work. WTF, right? :confused:

But the problem was that after a restart, the sound would have gone again. And basically my only way to get it going was to reinstall those drivers till it came up with "Failed to install", and they'd be fine again.

All I had to do though was uninstall the device, restart, and let Windows find it again. Basically what someone else instructed in this thread earlier, except I skipped the safe mode part and just went at it. It's supposedly because when you first turn on the computer, it finds a driver OFFLINE, since you aren't already connected to the net. But when you uninstall-reinstall it, it finds a driver ONLINE and uses those. Or atleast that's what I'm lead to believe, since otherwise I'm stumped as to why it works one time, but not the other.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know my experience with this problem. :)

Back