Windows 7 Call of Duty 2

jmsavoy

COD 2 installs just fine and seems to run ok. However, when you try get into an online game, you get everything that is displayed on your HUD, but NO MAP !!!

In no compat mode or Vista compat mode, you just get a sky blue background, in XP compat mode you get all black background - others can see you in game, and you can see yourself turning around on your compass - but you just can't see anything except the items displayed on your HUD ... anybody got this game working?? I know it's old, but my clan has a bolts only server that I play on every night and will have to go back to vista or XP if 7 won't run it right.

Ok, found that I had to install the latest NForce driver package (SMBus, Ethernet, IDE, etc) for Vista-64, then COD 2 worked in DX9 mode .... having ping issues though, my ping is irradic, low and high, and causes lag for me in game - didn't have this issue with Vista or XP so I'm assuming there's a bug ....

Cod2 & Cod 4 CI's, Lag spikes etc.

Ok, found that I had to install the latest NForce driver package (SMBus, Ethernet, IDE, etc) for Vista-64, then COD 2 worked in DX9 mode .... having ping issues though, my ping is irradic, low and high, and causes lag for me in game - didn't have this issue with Vista or XP so I'm assuming there's a bug ....

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. I have a dual boot pc XP (32-bit) and W7 RC 64-Bit. Wired internet 20/2 cable connection, great pings to www.yahoo.com or any of my fav game servers, but when I get in game my ping is spiking. I use the same hardware except a different raid config for W7 ( I am wondering if I have a failing drive?). I dont seem to have any problems in single player at all!

Anyone else have this with W7 on a wired connection?

Last edited:
Install the NVIDIA drivers and software for your NFORCE system for Windows 7, go to Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and then \"download drivers\" .... updating the system board drivers fixed all COD2 issues for me.

All drivers are up to date, but I did figure out the problem (still working on a permanent solution). I checked the COD2MP process and it was set to Affinity 1 only using one cpu core. I thought this was addressed with the update but I think I have to reinstall COD2? I can manually set Affinity to use all cores and the problem goes away, but I have to do it each time I run the game!

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the COD2MP process and it was set to Affinity 1 only using one cpu core.

Hey scrager,

I am in the same boat as you. But when i tried to change the Affinity of my COD2MP in the Task manager, it said "Access Denied". Any clues as to why? (Tried running in Administrator)

Thanks

Hey scrager,

I am in the same boat as you. But when i tried to change the Affinity of my COD2MP in the Task manager, it said \"Access Denied\". Any clues as to why? (Tried running in Administrator)

Thanks

I am not sure why you would have that issue, I have not received that message before.

BTW, I installed W7 Business (Clean install) and installed COD2. I ran it before applying any patches and this problem wasnt there. I installed the inclusive 1.3 patch and it started again. I now have to Alt Esc to Desktop each time I play which is really Lame! I think it is a COD2 issue, because COD4 and COD 5 waw dont have this problem.

Since Activision cant wait for COD2 to go away I doubt they would patch it even if it didnt run at all in W7! Too bad COD2 is still better in many ways than the newer COD games.

I did find this on Google, sounds like your user account priveledges are the problem.

change affinity access denied - Google Search=

GL!

HI!
I have problem too...I try to play CoD2 in 7...Menu works correctly but if game starts,all screen will be gray...accept compass and texts,those are normal...sound works correctly.I have 1.3 patch done....any other ideas?
Have newest Nvidia drivers for GeForce 9300m G
edit-sometimes game crash,then I activate safe mode low graphic,640x480 ec. and then all works fine....but cmon...its low... :D...I use ASUS notebook....memory 4gb,video 512 GeForce 9300m G,dual 2GhZ....so its HAVE to run....

Thank You.

Last edited:
HI!
I have problem too...I try to play CoD2 in 7...Menu works correctly but if game starts,all screen will be gray...accept compass and texts,those are normal...sound works correctly.I have 1.3 patch done....any other ideas?
Have newest Nvidia drivers for GeForce 9300m G
edit-sometimes game crash,then I activate safe mode low graphic,640x480 ec. and then all works fine....but cmon...its low... :D...I use ASUS notebook....memory 4gb,video 512 GeForce 9300m G,dual 2GhZ....so its HAVE to run....

Thank You.

I have heard of that before, but dont remember the solution. Make sure you have DX9 installed (since W7 comes with DX10/11) also try DX7 mode and DX9 mode to see if it helps.

BTW have you checked your processor affinity for the COD2MPs.exe to see if you have the same issue we do?

Scrager man....thank U very much :) I use now DX9 from options and its worked....so simpel and silly option :D...Ty again...

Scrager man....thank U very much :) I use now DX9 from options and its worked....so simpel and silly option :D...Ty again...

NP, glad it fixed it.

BTW, did you get a chance to see if you have the Affinity problem? To check, run COD2MP, then ALt ESC to desktop and right click taskbar (click on task manager) go to processes and right click COD2MPs.exe click on Affinity. See if All your CPU cores are checked (assuming you have a dual core cpu).

Thanks!

problem

hey guys, i have a problem trying to install cod2 as well. i install in xp mode, and everything goes fine untill about 90% and the installer bar just stops, anyone have any ideas whats wrong please?

thanks

dan

um

well when i try to install normally it just says "class not found" and closes call of duty, can someone please help me?

When you install the cd dont use Autorun, explore the CD and then click setup and it should work for you, I do remember getting an error at the end after the install finish (I think it is trying to run the cd again and bring up the splash screen). Just run it and see if it works.

You may run into what I did running the game (CPU Affinity problem). I am using an Affinity program to automatically switch COD2 to all 4 cpu cores. It works perfectly and runs at start up automatically.

GL!

Hey guys i have a problem plz help.
i can play cod 2 on windows 7 but if i want to install a patch than it says: The detected version of call of duty 2 is current or more up-to-date than this patch. this patch will not be applied.
i try it with the other patches but they says the same thing.

plz help!

Back
Top Bottom