Can I launch older programs in Windows 7?

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
QI recently bought a new PC running Windows 7. My older applications work just fine but Paint Shop Pro 6 simply refuses to work. It displays a message saying that it ‘Failed to update the system Registry’ and suggests I need to use something called Regedit. What is this and what should I do?

More...

There are provisions for backwards compatibility with systems like Windows XP but Paint Shop pro is ten years old and predates XP and Windows 2000! You really need to look at a more up to date package. If you don't want to spend any money updating have a look at Gimp for Windows:

GIMP - for Windows

Funny I got Paintshop Pro 6 to install on a 64 bit Windows 7 as a test. I don't remember using compatibility mode to install. Another problem with old software is they sometimes use 16 bit inatallers which don't work on 64 bit even though the software will. I had an old program I used to keep track of my bike mileage. On a VM I used Windows transfer and it worked. Did a little more looking and copied the entire file from XP to another VM went in file and double clicked registry file and that worked too.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom