Windows 7 Can not connect to domain

tdgross89

I have been running windows 7 on a workgroup for several months now. I just recently had a need to connect it to the domain. When I enter the domain name, it allows me to enter the username and password. It comes back with the error: An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

All of the IP and DNS settings are set up to auto. After looking at my settings through ipconfig, I have the same DNS as all of the other computers connected to the domain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

This may be the quick and dirty solution to your problem, but it will work.

On the machine with problems, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Double click on hosts. Then choose notepad to open it.

Enter a line at the bottom of it with the ip address and computer name of the domain controller. For example, like this:

192.168.1.60 DomainController

Save the file. It might save as hosts.txt. If this happens, delete hosts then rename hosts.txt to hosts.

Reboot and try again.

I can not take control of that file in order to edit it. When I attempt to change permissions, it will not allow me to give myself full control even though I am listed as an administrator.

I have made these changes, but I still get the same error. One interesting thing that I found that I forgot to mention in the origional post is that I can access the server through the network view and then entering my user name and password. I can then access all shared files.

Nah, that's a good thing. It would be the source of problems if it was running.

You could try to reset the networking of Windows to its original installed state. Many times, lsps are installed that do all sorts of "wonderful" things to networking which are unwanted. This would fix all that, if it did exist.

Open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste these commands one at a time, pressing enter after each:

Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Code:
netsh winsock reset

Be sure to reboot before a new test.

---------

If that doesn't help, then I would wait to see what Trouble has to say about it. He is much more skilled when dealing with Domains than I am. I would be more surprised if he couldn't sort the issue for you than if he did.

I have been running windows 7 on a workgroup for several months now. I just recently had a need to connect it to the domain. When I enter the domain name, it allows me to enter the username and password. It comes back with the error: An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

All of the IP and DNS settings are set up to auto. After looking at my settings through ipconfig, I have the same DNS as all of the other computers connected to the domain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas:
Hello, fun isn't it.
In your 2k3 SBS Domain, since SBS want's to be everything, I will assume that it is also the primary DNS server responsible for resolving DNS queries from DNS clients within your domain. So... determine the IP address of the 2k3 SBS server, and then on the problem win7 machine, within the properties of IPv4, in the properties of your Network Adapter, please enter that IP address as the only DNS server address for that machine, for now (you can add an alternate/secondary address later). Then from a command prompt with elevated privledges, type ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns. Then see if you can join the domain from the problem machine. If this works, and it almost has to, then I can only guess that somehow the Win7 machine is getting erroneous information regarding some specifics, and since in most instances of a 2k3 SBS Domain, the 2k3 server is also the DHCP server, then you may want to first inspect the DHCP scope regarding the specifics for DNS information that it's handing out and also make sure that you don't have a rogue DHCP server on the network responsible for handing out good IP info, but itself as the DNS resolver (usually, a wireless router plugged in somewhere). Hope this helps, keep us posted.

EDIT; Also what version of Windows 7 are you using, Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate. Also the name of your domain, if it's a single label domain, you may have some problems like this. I think if that is the issue there is a registry edit out there that will help.

Last edited:
This did not help. Let me make sure that I have this set up properly.

My IP: 192.168.2.101
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway/DHCP 192.168.2.1
DNS 192.168.2.113(the ip of the server)

The name of my domain is MEGASYSTEMS. Their is a wireless router set up on the network. The server plugs into the router and then several switches run off the router for our individual machines.

P.S. There are some days that I just hate computers!

Last edited:
The IP of the server had refreshed. Once I entered the correct address of the server. It worked. The server is set up for auto configuration. Would you suggest that I set it up for a static IP address.

Absolutely, Actually, all servers, network nodes pretending to be servers (like other Windows machines hosting a file, folder or printer) and all real network printers should have static values for their IP addressing scheme preferably outside the scope of those being handed out by the DHCP server. So define your scope so that it is sufficent to handle your network needs and exclude those address that require static assignment.
It looks like you haven't configured DHCP on the server at all but are allowing all your network devices to aquire addressing from the dot one address rather than the dot one thirteen address of the Domain Controller, which I suppose is ok, just make sure you know that, that is what's occuring and you provision accordingly and make sure that the Domain Controller is pointing at itself for DNS resolution, so the necessary service records are present.

Hi guys,

Am having the same problem with a newly installed version of Windows 7 Pro. Am trying to connect it to a server 2003 R2 enterprise edition. Can access all server resources (shared storage, printer, winternets) but cannot use domain accounts to log onto computer and cannot get the machine to join the domain. Have been through all the suggestions above, just wondering if anyone can offer any more help.

Posting info which might help:
My IP: 192.168.1.21
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway/DHCP: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1 (according to machine) 127.0.0.1 (according to server) - This may have something to do with the problem, but don't have enough experience with servers to tell.

Domain name is FUTUREPETRO. It is a pretty small network, only has about 10 machines.

Any more help would be appreciated

Your Win7 machine is pointing to the wrong location for DNS name resolution. Change it so that it points to your Domain DNS server.
The server needs to point to it's own IP address for DNS, and if I'm reading your post correctly, that's what it is doing. The 127.0.0.1 is the loopback (itself) address, but if you are not absolutely sure on this then determine the IP address of the server and enter it into the Primary DNS server address for the properties of IPv4, in the properties of your Adapter on the server and ok your way back out of there, go back in and don't be suprised to see it change back to 127.0.0.1, that's ok on the server.
On the Windows 7 client machine, add the IP address of your Domain DNS server to the properties of IPv4, in the properties of the Network adapter and only, that DNS server you shouldn't need a secondary (alternate) if everything is working properly.
If you add DHCP service to your domain controller or another server on the domain, then all this information can be configured to be handed out with the DHCP information. You may also be able to properly configure your router to do this too, but maybe not you'll need to take a look at the interface. But as long as you are getting the router address on the client machine as the DNS server (192.168.1.1) then it doesn't know where to look for authentication

Okay, cheers Trouble. Went through and checked everything, and then tried again. Apparently the n+1th time was the key one. Its working now though. Cheers for the help

You bet. Glad you were able to resolve it. Thanks for posting back. Apparently sometimes the settings don't stick?
Thanks for signing up and posting your issue here. Hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Back