Windows 7 Can not login to my shared network folder

wma1998

Hi all,

I just installed W7 on my laptop at home and I am having problems login to the shared network folder in my office.

At home I use VPN to access my office network. The network folder is on \\192.168.0.2\share, which is on a W2k server. The W2k server does not use domain, but has a workgroup called "mygroup". I have a user name called "vincent" on this server. However, when I try to connect to this folder W7 asks me to Enter Network Password. When I type in "vincent" and password, it automatically adds a domain "mylaptop", which is the computer name of my laptop. So W7 actually tries to login as "mylaptop\vincent" with the password, so it fails to login each time. I have made sure the workgroup of my laptop is also "mygroup".

Please help me. What should I do to access the share folder?

Thx! Vincent

Try edditing your host file by adding the ip-address and machine name. Had the same problem wich was solved after i eddited the host file.

Location of the host file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Try edditing your host file by adding the ip-address and machine name. Had the same problem wich was solved after i eddited the host file.

Yay, worked! Many thanks.

Why so difficult, btw? Was so easy in earlier builds..

After i editing the host file but i still can't access to the window7 pc. could you should me for example that need to be done in host file? such as: this is what i am setting but it still ask me to enter the password when i try to connect to window7 pc. and i am using window xp and try to connect to window7

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
192.168.1.6 Rayh # Ray PC
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
192.168.1.6 Rayh
# ::1 localhost

Back