Windows 7 Cannot connect LAN to the network

olharapo

Hey guys
I do not know what is happening but my LAN connection keeps cycling between "Enabled" and "Network Cable Unplugged". It cycles every 2-3 seconds. (This is happening at work)
I have been experiencing this problem for a while but until now it has not been problematic as I have had wireless all the time to solve my problem.
Now, that I do not have wireless, this is dramatic as I cannot acces the network. This problem is however solved when I am connected to the network through a switch in a bigger office.
Does someone have an idea on how to solve this? I am running Windows 7 on an ASUS R1F Tablet PC
Thanks in advance

Hey guys
I do not know what is happening but my LAN connection keeps cycling between "Enabled" and "Network Cable Unplugged". It cycles every 2-3 seconds. (This is happening at work)
I have been experiencing this problem for a while but until now it has not been problematic as I have had wireless all the time to solve my problem.
Now, that I do not have wireless, this is dramatic as I cannot acces the network. This problem is however solved when I am connected to the network through a switch in a bigger office.
Does someone have an idea on how to solve this? I am running Windows 7 on an ASUS R1F Tablet PC
Thanks in advance

How are you connecting, or probably more importantly, to what are you connecting when the problem occurs. If it's a simple hub, you may have to replace it with a switch, at least to help temporarily diagnose the issue.

I am connecting directly to my company's network.
When I connect to the company's network via a switch it works. When I tried to connect directly it does not.

I am always using the same cable and the same plug so both are working properly.

I am connecting directly to my company's network.
When I connect to the company's network via a switch it works. When I tried to connect directly it does not.

I am always using the same cable and the same plug so both are working properly.
Can I assume that, by that you mean a wall jack in your office, or am I miss understanding.
"When I connect to the company's network via a switch it works." Obviously, if this is correct, then there is nothing wrong with your computer.
You need to perform some more diagnostic steps on the physical connection. Perhaps bring another laptop in and see if the problem persists, or perhaps take you computer into another office and see if has the same problem with that wall plate.

Yep, the 2 configurations are
configuration 1: computer <-> wall jack vs
configuration 2: computer <-> switch <-> wall jack

The 2nd works, the 1st does not.
I have tried 2 other laptops in configuration 1 and it works (in the same wall jack obviously).
I have tried my computer in configuration 1 in another office and it does not work :-(

It really seems that the problem is having my computer in configuration 1

"I have tried 2 other laptops in configuration 1 and it works (in the same wall jack obviously)." Were both or either of those computers, windows 7?

I was thinking that perhaps my last post wasn't very informative, so...
Open Device Manager
Expand Network adapters
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties.
Select the Advanced tab at the top
In the left panel look for something called Speed & Duplex
On the right side use the drop down arrow to select something othere than "Auto Negotiation"
Choose 100Mbps full or 10Mbps full and see if that helps, just try experimenting with alternate choices, not sure if a reboot is required after each change or not.

Thanks very much.
Changing the speed to 10Mbps/s worked.
Now I shouold check with the admin what is going on because the net is supposed to be 1Gbps.
Anyway, changing Auto-Negotiation to 10Mbps worked (tried 100 and 1G and it did not however)
Thanks very much

I faced the same problem when I first installed Win7. I'm running Win7 Ultimate 32-bit on a Compaq HP CQ40 133AX. The solution was simply, if you want to use a LAN/cable connection just switch off the Wireless&Bluetooth. It works like a charm. I don't know if this is related to your problem just sharing my experience with those who might need this :)

Back
Top Bottom