Windows 7 Cannot Connect To Outside wireless Hot Spots

ironhorse99

I'm running 7 Ultimate & have no problems at home but when I go out to my local diner I have no internet access. I have a great connection to their router but cannot connect to the internet. Once in a while,like maybe 1 out of 20x it will connect. I see folks on a weekly basis using the internet with no problems. What can I do.|-)

How do you have the public settings configured in the Network and Sharing panel? Or the Public Networks in the Windows Firewall?

Does the Public network need any kind of key or password?

How do you have the public settings configured in the Network and Sharing panel? Or the Public Networks in the Windows Firewall?

Does the Public network need any kind of key or password?

I have no clue. What should it look like. I'll duplicate your setting suggestion & see if it works.

Normally, a system is just set up for private networks. It does have public Network settings, but they could be different from your private settings. There may be some setting there that would help.

Also, on the networks, it would need to be a public network listed in the Network and Sharing center. If you left click the wireless icon, is the network you are trying to access listed? Does it have any symbols next to it like a lock? Have you tried selecting "Connect"?

Normally, a system is just set up for private networks. It does have public Network settings, but they could be different from your private settings. There may be some setting there that would help.

Also, on the networks, it would need to be a public network listed in the Network and Sharing center. If you left click the wireless icon, is the network you are trying to access listed? Does it have any symbols next to it like a lock? Have you tried selecting "Connect"?

Yes it is listed with no lock. I'll start poking around the settings area to see what I may be able to change. I'll post my findings.

I have this same problem. There are 3 public wi-fi spots within range, but I cannot connect with Windows 7/8 CP. But with XP Pro, I can connect to all 3. These are great when one wants to download Linux install disks, but doesn't want to eat their bandwidth. Some ISP's like to throw that "abuse" flag around.

When I was a TechNet member, this happened twice. Unlimited is supposed to be just that, but that's not always how it plays out. I was even making it a point to download late at night, so as not to interfere with other users speed.

Cat

Back