Windows 7 Cannot do Windows update and will not update software

geno368

Extraordinary Member
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and for several months I have been trying to do a windows update. The service does show to be running. When I check for updates it says the update software needed to be updated so I select it. It acts like it updated it and starts checking for updates but in a few minutes it says "windows could not search for updates" error 80073712. Any help please? Thanks

I was unable to fix the problem with the readiness tool so I attempted to do the repair. It stopped as well because I have never been able to do an update and sp1 is not on my os. I went to microsoft downloads and tried to manually install sp1 with my antivirus disabled. It ran for about an hour and then said it was unsuccessful. error: 0x8007371b. This was a Vista system originally and I updated to win 7 a couple of years ago...did not realize w/update was not working. What now?? Thanks

If you have never installed SP 1 onto your version of Windows 7 then you will need to perform the in place upgrade / repair with installation media without the Service Pack integrated into it.
You should be able to acquire the ISO from here http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/
Please make sure that you obtain the correct version and bit architecture (32 or 64) that's identical to your current installation.
Burn the ISO to a DVD and you should be able to perform the in place upgrade / repair as per my earlier link.
Good luck and keep us posted

Back