Windows 7 Cannot Install New HDD.

ihaveissues

Hi Guys
I am trying to install an extra Hard Drive inside my machine. Everything connects ok via the cables etc and I set the new Hard Drive to slave, however when I boot up my computer, (Having told it to boot from my existing Hard Drive), it just hangs or doesn’t do anything, then, thinking I have done something wrong, take out the new Hard Drive and then it has to repair my boot up.
My current HD is a WDC as below and the extra one I am trying to install is a Hitachi Deskstar HDT725025VLAT80.
My main HD is 64bit and is connected to the motherboard with a thin black cable into a little square plug and my new HD is connected to the motherboard via the long thin connector like they all used to be. An ATE/IDE I think.
What do i need to do to get my new HD to work?

My info is:-

Packard Bell ixtreme M3720
Windows 7 64Bit
4.99 GB RAM
WDC W064 00AAKS-22A7B internal hard drive.

System Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Model Packard Bell ixtreme M3720 Motherboard Packard Bell MCP73PVT-PM
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q8300
Processor ID Genuine Intel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Frequency 2.50 GHz Processors 1
Cores 4 Threads 4
L1 Instruction Cache 128 KB L1 Data Cache 128 KB
L2 Cache 4.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
Memory 3.75 GB 800 MHz FSB 333 MHz
BIOS AMI P01-A3

Any computer whizz any idea what I’m doing wrong.
Thanks for your time.
Ihaveissues

So basically your main drive appears to be SATA (small plug with L-shape groove) and the new one is IDE (ribbon) then you may fine you need to make sure the ATAPI-IDE is enabled correctly in BIOS, also ALL SATA drives are automatically primary master drives so try setting the IDE to primary master also, one thing to remember is IDE often gets assigned drive ID Letter before SATA so you may need to change the boot drive order to force the SATA to correct letter.

Well, thanks guys, after of hours I tried it with another HD I had and no problem, however the Hitachi I was trying it with was a no go as this came out of my old machine and there was an old boot record on it. . Is there a way to format the Hitachi from boot up into command prompt to wipe it clean, thus not conflicting with my existing HD. If that makes sense.

Well, thanks guys, after of hours I tried it with another HD I had and no problem, however the Hitachi I was trying it with was a no go as this came out of my old machine and there was an old boot record on it. . Is there a way to format the Hitachi from boot up into command prompt to wipe it clean, thus not conflicting with my existing HD. If that makes sense.

Use FDISK command from a bootable dos cd/dvd would be one way, of from a older pc with xp on

There can be no Slave, UNLESS there is a Master. And there is no Master/Slave for SATA drives. So your EIDE drive should be connected to the Master connector on the cable, and set to either MA (Master) or CS (cable select).

Back