Windows 10 Cannot install Windows 10 on a SSD Drive

Romchik9007

So I've just assembled a brand new PC. Everything seemed to be working perfectly, until it came to the point when I had to install Windows 10 using a flash USB.
I've used the official Windows Installer Tool to do that.
So the problem is, Windows doesn't want to allocate any space onto the drive. Whenever I run the installer, it gives me the option to pick the drive, however, every time I do that, it seems to do nothing at all. So I'm forced to install the OS onto my HDD.
Now I've tried using "diskpart" to convert it to GPT etc, but still no luck. A message comes up referring to an "I/O device error"
The actual SSD itself is Kingston A400 (240GB). It's brand new, I've bought it a couple of days ago.
Can someone please let me know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thank you.

If your SSD is a new model, it might be (not sure) that the driver for it is not included in the Windows version used for installation. If so, you will have to download the driver and insert it into the ISO file used for installation (make a custom ISO for installation).
You can run a Linux live-CD/DVD and check the SSD for defects.

was only the SSD connected to the motherboard when you tried to install Windows? or were both the SSD and the HDD connected?

If your SSD is a new model, it might be (not sure) that the driver for it is not included in the Windows version used for installation. If so, you will have to download the driver and insert it into the ISO file used for installation (make a custom ISO for installation).
You can run a Linux live-CD/DVD and check the SSD for defects.

was only the SSD connected to the motherboard when you tried to install Windows? or were both the SSD and the HDD connected?
Both the SSD and the HDD were connected together.
And also, not that I'm new to computers, I can just be a little clumsy with them. Do you want me to just find the correct driver and just dump it into the installation?

Have you tried removing the HDD and just have the SSD attached?

If not I'd try that.

Have you tried removing the HDD and just have the SSD attached?

If not I'd try that.
Just tried it. No luck. The Windows Installer just can't seem to allocate any memory onto the drive.
Any other suggestions? Or shall I do what 'livix' suggested above?
Thanks

I would do the following:
1. Install win10 on your hdd
2. After installation, I would prepare the ssd by using its dedicated setup program, test that everything is ok with it.
3. Finally, I would clone the hdd to the ssd by using its dedicated management program.
This way, the ssd's management program will also download all the drivers needed and put them where they should be.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would do the following:
1. Install win10 on your hdd
2. After installation, I would prepare the ssd by using its dedicated setup program, test that everything is ok with it.
3. Finally, I would clone the hdd to the ssd by using its dedicated management program.
This way, the ssd's management program will also download all the drivers needed and put them where they should be.

Okay, I hear ya. I've already installed Win10 on the HDD. Everything works as expected.
But this is where I come to a halt. I run Disk Management to see if the SSD is there. The sad thing is, Windows doesn't show/recognise the drive. It just simply isn't there. However, every time I access the BIOS, it recognises the SSD drive without a problem.
That is where I am at the moment, and I have no idea what to try next at this point.

First of all, I was talking about the disk management software provided by the ssd's manufacturer. For your Kingston A400, you will find the software here: SSD Manager
Download it, install it, start it and see if it helps you clone the hdd.
Your new ssd should probably be initiated the first time you use it.
Let us know how you progress.

I forgot to tell you that in order for the ssd to work at its full performance, you should enable what is called AHCI Mode in your Bios.
Run the SSD Manager as administrator.

The Kingston's SSD Manager does not provide you means to clone your hdd. In order to do this, once your ssd is recognized by the operating system, you can use the free software offered by EaseUS (Partition Master Free Edition for home users). Once the software is downloaded and installed, go to Wizard->Clone disk wizard (or Upgrade disk, if available) and follow the instructions.

After cloning the hdd, try to boot from your ssd and if everything works fine, then and only then, wipe your hdd and use it to store your data files. In order to have your ssd in a good shape for a long time, set an Overprovisioning area in the SSD Manager, before cloning the hdd, and after everything looks fine and the hdd erased, move your data files from the cloned ssd to the old hdd.

After cloning the hdd, try to boot from your ssd and if everything works fine, then and only then, wipe your hdd and use it to store your data files. In order to have your ssd in a good shape for a long time, set an Overprovisioning area in the SSD Manager, before cloning the hdd, and after everything looks fine and the hdd erased, move your data files from the cloned ssd to the old hdd.

Thanks for being so helpful mate. That's a lot of detail.
Also, I've just got the Intel RST Software running, and so far it is the only program which is able to show and recognise the SSD.
When I had a look, the program is saying that the drive is "password locked"? Now I've no idea where that came from, because I'm more than certain that I did not password lock it.
The EaseUS program isn't able to recognise the drive so far.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    63.1 KB · Views: 857
I can't see anything on the picture you sent, it is too low resolution.
Did you enable AHCI Mode?
What the SSD Manager shows? It doesn't see also the ssd?
Please read all my posts and give me more details. Where did you buy the ssd?

I can't see anything on the picture you sent, it is too low resolution.
Did you enable AHCI Mode?
What the SSD Manager shows? It doesn't see also the ssd?
Please read all my posts and give me more details. Where did you buy the ssd?

AHCI mode is enabled.
SSD Manager doesn't show anything, because it also doesn't see the SSD
Bought the SSD from eBuyer.

If it shows that it is password protected, it just means that it wasn't new and you should return it. I do not know how to unlock or even if it is possible to unlock a password protected ssd. But if it was brand new, than there is no reason to be password locked, unless you did lock it up. I'm sorry I can't be of further help.

Hi

From what I've seen unlocking a locked SSD if very difficult, and getting around it is next to impossible.

I did find this...

"To disable SSD code/lock

USE HD erase version 3.3
unplug power from the SSD but keep the data plugged in
start PC and when you get to the
A:/ prompt plug the SSD power back in
and proceed as normal
you should no longer see the security freeze"

I think only HDE 3.3 works with SSDs for some reason

A Full Review of HDDErase, a Free Data Destruction Software Tool

There is a link to HD Erase 3.3 in the first post here...

Ultimate Boot CD • View topic - HDD Erase 3.3 [Feature request]

I'm not pushing this, but it's the only way that I've seen to fix the locked drive problem, I've never tried this myself but it all else fails?

Mike

But if the ssd was bought as new, then he shouldn't mess with it, but he should return it to the seller.

Hi

From what I've seen unlocking a locked SSD if very difficult, and getting around it is next to impossible.

I did find this...

"To disable SSD code/lock

USE HD erase version 3.3
unplug power from the SSD but keep the data plugged in
start PC and when you get to the
A:/ prompt plug the SSD power back in
and proceed as normal
you should no longer see the security freeze"

I think only HDE 3.3 works with SSDs for some reason

A Full Review of HDDErase, a Free Data Destruction Software Tool

There is a link to HD Erase 3.3 in the first post here...

Ultimate Boot CD • View topic - HDD Erase 3.3 [Feature request]

I'm not pushing this, but it's the only way that I've seen to fix the locked drive problem, I've never tried this myself but it all else fails?

Mike
Cheers for the suggestion Mike. I'll think into it when I've literally tried every other method. You never know what might come up.

If you can return it that might be the best answer, I added an SSD drive into my present computer as the boot drive and it was no problem at all.
It should be easy.

I did what Falcon Northwest the makers of my computer suggested and unplugged the other two drives while I installed Windows on the SSD to avoid complications. They also showed me where to plug it in to make it show as drive number one in the bios.

It worked great.

Last edited:
Is always best to only have the drive you're installing to connected. I just pull their power before an install.

Back