Windows 10 Cannot open web pages

1max2

Windows 10 updated yesterday. Now I cannot open any web pages from bookmarks. Google page will open via chrome. Can enter a web address into Google the various matches appear, I click on the one I want then I get (this site cannot be reached).

I am connected to the internet via wi-fi. I am writing this from another laptop.

Hope somebody can help.

that's way over my head, would not know where to start.

But thanks for the reply

All you need to do is download the script and run it and upload the log and it will probably tell us what the issue is.

I don't know a great deal about computers but I can follow step by step instructions. So if you can guide me through will do my best to follow. Computers are creepy at 71.
Cheers.

Hi there,
I have many Customers who are your age and older and we still manage to help them--most of the time! LOL. Neemo's little script is really quite easy to use, but if you are not comfortable with running it, get a hold of a tech savvy friend, neighbor, or family member, probably younger than you to assist.:)

In the meantime, you should be aware that a few of our longtime members here have identified problems with Chrome going back 2 years or more before W10 was released. The one fellow I'm referring to built his own machine and is quite advanced a user. His machine is newer than all but 1 of my computers, and the other people who also reported this problem on computers built in 2012 or after (5 years old). Most of my test computers are 8-10 years old, and for some strange reason don't suffer the weird Chrome problem.

A couple of other questions for you to help us; do any of the other browsers on this computer have problems loading pages from your bookmarks or saved addresses such as Edge, IE11 (Internet Explorer v11), or Firefox?? Or does it just happen with Chrome. Uninstallation of Chrome sometimes has fixed this problem, but make certain that you disable your AV (Antivirus) program first, otherwise your Windows can become corrupted, and you won't be able to reinstall Chrome to make it work again without completely reformatting your drive and reinstalling W10 from scratch--and you probably don't want to do that yourself if you've never done it before.

Other things to try:
1.) Take your computer into the room in your home or apartment and plug into your router or cable/dsl modem with an Ethernet cable if you have one--they almost always come in the box with your Wi-Fi router or modem when you purchase it or your ISP sends to you. See if the problem is resolved. If it is, it's probably a failure of your Wi-Fi drivers to work with the new W10 CU (v1703). Neemo's script could help us to identify the actual problem there.
2.) Try changing your Network settings to make both your DNS servers the following 2 IP addresses: DNS1: 8.8.8.8 and DNS2: 8.8.4.4 save and reboot your machine. Test your Chrome bookmarks again. If it works-something in your network settings, such as the Wi-Fi driver above in #1 got messed up in the update; this fix often works! :up:
3.) Try disabling and then re-enabling the Wi-Fi using a keyboard combo if on a laptop such as <Fn-key+F7> or similar. You can download that info from your computer or laptop manufacturer's website for free usually in PDF format. This often works, as if your computer is using DHCP or auto-IP address assignment, the act of disabling and re-enabling your wireless radio in your computer or laptop will force it to reset all the wireless settings in windows, grab a new address and reconnect your computer to the Internet. :up:

Let us know how you get on.;)

Oh, and I almost forgot if you haven't scanned for viruses/malware you should use your built in AV program to scan/remove all found viruses. If Chrome bookmarks start working again, you simply had a virus that attacked your Wi-Fi settings. Problem solved!:up:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :nerdie:

that's way over my head, would not know where to start.

But thanks for the reply
I don't know a great deal about computers but I can follow step by step instructions. So if you can guide me through will do my best to follow. Computers are creepy at 71.
Cheers.

More detailed step-by step instructions (I understand as I have a grandma at 73 who's an avid computer user but frequently runs into scary problems):
  1. Open the Network Diagnostic Information link that Neemobeer provided to you. It is another forum thread and the first post has an attached file that you can download by clicking on the Network_Info.zip link below the post or the icon to the left of the link.
  2. When the download finishes, double click the file you just downloaded to open it. Whichever application opens (by default it should open in Windows Explorer), inside the newly opened window you should see another file, Network_Info.bat. Drag and drop (click on it but HOLD down the button, move the cursor and let go of the button) this file out of the opened window onto your desktop.
  3. Double click the newly created Network_Info.bat on your desktop to run it. It is a harmless script that collects information about your network configuration. If a confirmation window pops up, just click run or continue. A black window will pop up and text will appear, just wait for it to finish and disappear again.
  4. The script generated a summary of your network configuration in the form of a new file called network_information.txt that should have now also appeared on the desktop. If you can't see it, you can try pressing F5 to refresh your desktop. Now for the final step, you have to upload this new file to this forum. Post a reply where you attach this file by clicking the Upload a File button at the bottom of the reply text box on the bottom of the page, attach by selecting this network_information.txt in the dialog window that opens when you click the aforementioned button.
Best of luck and I hope it helps (and that you're still following)! Just write if you have any problems on the way.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if the computer having problems is not the one you are currently using, and you can't download the file on the problematic system, then you will have to transfer the mentioned files (Network_Info.bat and later the generated network_information.txt) between them using an USB thumb drive. You have to run this script on the desktop (or anywhere else, but the desktop is the most convenient) of the system that has problems with its network configuration, NOT on the desktop of the working one!

Last edited:
Hi there,
I have many Customers who are your age and older and we still manage to help them--most of the time! LOL. Neemo's little script is really quite easy to use, but if you are not comfortable with running it, get a hold of a tech savvy friend, neighbor, or family member, probably younger than you to assist.:)

In the meantime, you should be aware that a few of our longtime members here have identified problems with Chrome going back 2 years or more before W10 was released. The one fellow I'm referring to built his own machine and is quite advanced a user. His machine is newer than all but 1 of my computers, and the other people who also reported this problem on computers built in 2012 or after (5 years old). Most of my test computers are 8-10 years old, and for some strange reason don't suffer the weird Chrome problem.

A couple of other questions for you to help us; do any of the other browsers on this computer have problems loading pages from your bookmarks or saved addresses such as Edge, IE11 (Internet Explorer v11), or Firefox?? Or does it just happen with Chrome. Uninstallation of Chrome sometimes has fixed this problem, but make certain that you disable your AV (Antivirus) program first, otherwise your Windows can become corrupted, and you won't be able to reinstall Chrome to make it work again without completely reformatting your drive and reinstalling W10 from scratch--and you probably don't want to do that yourself if you've never done it before.

Other things to try:
1.) Take your computer into the room in your home or apartment and plug into your router or cable/dsl modem with an Ethernet cable if you have one--they almost always come in the box with your Wi-Fi router or modem when you purchase it or your ISP sends to you. See if the problem is resolved. If it is, it's probably a failure of your Wi-Fi drivers to work with the new W10 CU (v1703). Neemo's script could help us to identify the actual problem there.
2.) Try changing your Network settings to make both your DNS servers the following 2 IP addresses: DNS1: 8.8.8.8 and DNS2: 8.8.4.4 save and reboot your machine. Test your Chrome bookmarks again. If it works-something in your network settings, such as the Wi-Fi driver above in #1 got messed up in the update; this fix often works! :up:
3.) Try disabling and then re-enabling the Wi-Fi using a keyboard combo if on a laptop such as <Fn-key+F7> or similar. You can download that info from your computer or laptop manufacturer's website for free usually in PDF format. This often works, as if your computer is using DHCP or auto-IP address assignment, the act of disabling and re-enabling your wireless radio in your computer or laptop will force it to reset all the wireless settings in windows, grab a new address and reconnect your computer to the Internet. :up:

Oh, and I almost forgot if you haven't scanned for viruses/malware you should use your built in AV program to scan/remove all found viruses. If Chrome bookmarks start working again, you simply had a virus that attacked your Wi-Fi settings. Problem solved!:up:

Hi there,

Other things to try:

Hi,
Cannot open anything in chrome, edge or ie11. Tried Ethernet cable and same nothing. If I knew where to find the ip addresses etc I would give it a try. The computer I am trying to fix I cannot use. I cannot download anything on that laptop, I am using an old laptop to reply to your replies. So I cannot download Network Diagnostic Information to give you the information regarding the computer I can't use.

For the ip address info
  • Click on the start buttom type cmd
  • You should see 'Command Prompt' listed above, click on that
  • Type ipconfig /all
The adapter with the name Ethernet or LAN would be the wired connection and Wireless or WiFi would be a wireless connection

For the ip address info
  • Click on the start buttom type cmd
  • You should see 'Command Prompt' listed above, click on that
  • Type ipconfig /all
The adapter with the name Ethernet or LAN would be the wired connection and Wireless or WiFi would be a wireless connection

I have done this but don't know how to copy the result. If I could do this I might be able to put the result onto usb stick and hopefully post it on this thread!!

If you still have the command prompt open type this instead.
ipconfig /all >> %userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfig.txt Then you can just copy the text file on your desktop to a usb drive.

Based on that you have at least valid IP settings.
From the same command prompt type the following
ping 192.168.1.1 if you see something like
Reply from 192.168.1.1... move on to the next command

ping 8.8.8.8 and again you should see a similar output
Reply from 8.8.8.8...

Ok so your network connect is working, you probably just have a DNS problem. Try unplugging your router for 30 seconds.

Still no joy. IE and Edge will not open start page, Chrome has been doing and still is.

Try closing all of your browsers, open the command prompt again and type ipconfig /flushdns
Re-launch browser and test again.

Put in command and got (successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache)

Closed and re-launched all browsers still not working.

Back
Top Bottom