• Locate DNS Client
  • Right click on it and select restart

Try restarting the DNS service
  • Click the start button
  • Type services.msc
  • Click on Services with the gear icon
  • Locate DNS Client
  • Right click on it and select restart
Right clicked on DNS client, green line went about 1cm and then went off.

Press Ctrl + R.. In the window that opens write in services.msc... In Services locate Base Filtering Engine restart it. And then turn off DNS client
Please go to this folder : C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc
Copy the files on usb drive and upload here.. These files hold no personal information
If they are corrupted or changed we will upload to you fixed ETC drivers
Press Ctrl + R.. In the window that opens write in services.msc... In Services locate Base Filtering Engine restart it. And then turn off DNS client
Please go to this folder : C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc
Copy the files on usb drive and upload here.. These files hold no personal information
If they are corrupted or changed we will upload to you fixed ETC drivers

Pressed ctrl+r no window opened.

Let's double check that this is a DNS and not specific to the browsers. Open the command prompt again and type ping water.com Let me know if you get a Reply from... message or Can't resolve host.

His internet is working since he's able to ping hosts on the internet. The browser is either not resolving DNS or potentially proxy settings could have been enabled as well.

Get Iobit Advanced System Care and TCPoptimizer and reinstall your wireless cards software and the driver

We do not recommend using applications such as these as 'Optimisers' and driver finders. They usually end up causing more trouble and are bad practice. You are far, far better off finding the drivers yourself as well as learning how to maintain windows. Your machine will thank you for it.. :)

Driver's are not that hard to find especially recent versions.

In general though, Google the manufacturers name and usually within a few seconds your good to go.

Motherboards have their own support page which provides great support so again Google the make and model.

Laptops drivers are again supplied by the manufacturer and usually these are the only ones which will successfully work apart from some gpu drivers.

Let's double check that this is a DNS and not specific to the browsers. Open the command prompt again and type ping water.com Let me know if you get a Reply from... message or Can't resolve host.

reply was pinging water.com 209.10.103.203 with 32 bytes of data. Then 4 times request timed out, then says ping statistics for 209.10.103.203, packets sent = 4 received = 0, lost = 4 (100% loss)
Sorry for delay.

Ok so DNS is working then and the issue may be the browsers themselves. Although that's not a good sign the packets were lost.

It may be worth trying to reset Winsock.
  • Click the start button
  • Type cmd
  • Right click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'
  • Type netsh winsock reset
  • Once completed reboot the computer and test

It may be worth trying to reset Winsock.
  • Click the start button
  • Type cmd
  • Right click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'
  • Type netsh winsock reset
  • Once completed reboot the computer and test
I've done that but it's still no go. windows security and maintenance just came up. File history is off. Also it has 2 options.... troubleshooting and recovery. Under troubleshooting it has (find and fix problems) and under recovery it has (refresh your computer without effecting your files, or reset it and start over) would it be ok to try this.

The only thing is when I bought this laptop maybe 4 years ago it came with win 7 installed but no disc. It had an option to restore to factory settings. When I took the option to upgrade to win 10 in 2015? the option restore to factory settings is no longer there, or I don't know how to restore it back to win 7.

It may resolve the issue. It's also possible one of the updates that was recently installed broke networking, it wouldn't be the first time an update broke something.

It may resolve the issue. It's also possible one of the updates that was recently installed broke networking, it wouldn't be the first time an update broke something.

At the moment it's restoring files and settings, and system restore initializing. been doing this for about 10 mins. It's 10pm this side of the pond so I'll post tomorrow.

reset to time before last batch of critical updates were installed. It finished but said (failed to restore) So I rebooted after failed to restore, it must have done something as all seems to be well at the moment. I looked at the update history and saw update today 22nd KB3150513. But failed 7 times yesterday to update KB4015438. Should I check for available updates or just leave well alone?

I would like to thank you and the rest of the community for the replies and the help you gave me.

Yes, that's attempted to upgrade from W7 back to W10 CU (v1703) and that does not work 100% of the time. Hopefully, by this time you backed up all your personal data to external media, as if you haven't it's all gone now!! :waah:

It would be helpful to know the exact version of W10 you had or have. The latest W10 update I'm mentioning came out last Tue. April 11th and the 2 upgrade attempts I made only 1 of 2 worked. The update attempt on my W10 Pro desktop worked fine. The 2nd one on a Dell Optiplex 745 failed 5 times, and on the very same update KB4015438. That you cannot fix as it's an apparent flaw in the W10 installer program (Update Assistant). Just reporting that failure this morning here. Already reported it to Microsoft. They don't acknowledge it's a problem. The only solution available to you is to go to Microsoft's website and download the free MCT tool and create a bootable W10 install media either or DVD disk or USB stick available here: Download Windows 10.

If you cannot achieve this on your computer, you should consider taking it to your local Computer repair shop and paying a Tech to do this for you. :andwhat: He may also encounter failed components in your laptop, which he can give you a written estimate on cost to replace while doing your upgrade. It's also possible that your built-in WLAN card (or Wi-Fi chip) has failed and that's why your browsers have all failed to work properly on the Wi-Fi Internet connection.

Once you get your W10 installed; any version doesn't have to be the new one (v1703), and your Wi-Fi fails to work still, you can borrow or buy an inexpensive Wi-Fi USB adapter for $60 US or so, plug that into your laptop and it will fix your problem even if your internal WLAN card is borked! Bear in mind the WLAN card is a $10 part, but at least a $100 in labor to remove it in many laptops as the laptop has to be completely disassembled to replace the part, so days of labor there. If that's the case, you can save at least half the repair cost by using a USB plug in adapter to solve the problem. The inconvenience is you have to remember to put that in your laptop case and take with you if you ever leave your house with your laptop and expect it to work on any wireless network.
Here's an example of a recommended USB Wi-Fi adapter that I use: Amazon.com: NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter: Computers & Accessories
:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Well since it's Windows 10 it will update on it's own. Hopefully it doesn't break again. If it does break you may want to uninstall updates one at a time make note of the KB#s once the culprit is identified you can search online to see if there is a known issue and sometime MS will issue hotfixes that will fix the problem.

Yes, that's attempted to upgrade from W7 back to W10 CU (v1703) and that does not work 100% of the time. Hopefully, by this time you backed up all your personal data to external media, as if you haven't it's all gone now!! :waah:

It would be helpful to know the exact version of W10 you had or have. The latest W10 update I'm mentioning came out last Tue. April 11th and the 2 upgrade attempts I made only 1 of 2 worked. The update attempt on my W10 Pro desktop worked fine. The 2nd one on a Dell Optiplex 745 failed 5 times, and on the very same update KB4015438. That you cannot fix as it's an apparent flaw in the W10 installer program (Update Assistant). Just reporting that failure this morning here. Already reported it to Microsoft. They don't acknowledge it's a problem. The only solution available to you is to go to Microsoft's website and download the free MCT tool and create a bootable W10 install media either or DVD disk or USB stick available here: Download Windows 10.

If you cannot achieve this on your computer, you should consider taking it to your local Computer repair shop and paying a Tech to do this for you. :andwhat: He may also encounter failed components in your laptop, which he can give you a written estimate on cost to replace while doing your upgrade. It's also possible that your built-in WLAN card (or Wi-Fi chip) has failed and that's why your browsers have all failed to work properly on the Wi-Fi Internet connection.

Once you get your W10 installed; any version doesn't have to be the new one (v1703), and your Wi-Fi fails to work still, you can borrow or buy an inexpensive Wi-Fi USB adapter for $60 US or so, plug that into your laptop and it will fix your problem even if your internal WLAN card is borked! Bear in mind the WLAN card is a $10 part, but at least a $100 in labor to remove it in many laptops as the laptop has to be completely disassembled to replace the part, so days of labor there. If that's the case, you can save at least half the repair cost by using a USB plug in adapter to solve the problem. The inconvenience is you have to remember to put that in your laptop case and take with you if you ever leave your house with your laptop and expect it to work on any wireless network.
Here's an example of a recommended USB Wi-Fi adapter that I use: Amazon.com: NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter: Computers & Accessories
:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Well since it's Windows 10 it will update on it's own. Hopefully it doesn't break again. If it does break you may want to uninstall updates one at a time make note of the KB#s once the culprit is identified you can search online to see if there is a known issue and sometime MS will issue hotfixes that will fix the problem.

Cheers for all your help and as you say hope it doesn't break again.

All browser cannot open the webpage? I know that in Chinese version , cannot fix the character put by the input method.. Too many bugs this version.

Back