Windows 7 Cannot use Windows Update, MSN, error 8007273D

MartinMorrison

Hi,

I'm using the Windows 7 RC so not sure if this is the right forum for it. Everything has been fine for ages but recently my internet went down but it's up again (was a problem with the line).

However I can no longer use windows update. When searching for updates I get an error 8007273D - Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Also, I cannot sign into Windows Live MSN, I also get an unknown error. It's strange because I can use Skype and Gtalk fine and my internet works with games/browsing etc.

I also have problems with the game Mass Effect. When starting up it requires a connection to the internet to validate ownership but it cannot find an internet connection. But I think that's unrelated.

So it seems like some sort of problem connecting to the windows servers if there's such a thing. My real copy of W7 should be arriving soon but I'd like to sort this out if I can. Any ideas?

Oh yeah I can't reinstall MSN either, it crashes with error 'OnCatalogResult: 0x8007273D' which is the same code as the windows update error - there is little support that points towards the specific cause of this error.

I am having the same issue. I only found out today that my windows update is not working.
Same error code - 8007273D

I did a google search and had something about a Visual Studio which could be the cause of this issue.
However I do not have VS nor have I ever updated or anything. So that's kind of out of the question.

Microsoft website has nothing on this error code, it seems to be quite rare.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you had problems with your line. Coincidentally I too had issues (with my phone line) and got the issue fixed a few days ago, possibly related to the issue?

Nor do I have VS.

Some people did mantience on my line due to rain and forgot to turn the line back on for 20 days. I just got it back and everything else works fine, tried resetting modem etc but I have no idea what this problem is.

Oh this is bad....got real RC home prem. and installed it, everything was working fine! Turn on my PC today and MSN won't log in with the same error (was using it fine last night). Windows update same error as when I was on RC :(

Fixed it...try this out:

• Start Internet Explorer.
  • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under Security, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation check box.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Internet Explorer.

Back