Windows 7 canon navigator won't open

tjm

I recently installed a Canon MX860 multi-function printer and it's software package, including the app that controls the scanning function. That app, Navigator EX 2.1, won't open. It returns an error message saying the program has encountered an error (unspecified) and will let me know when Windows determines what it is. An older version of the software for an older printer worked fine.

On the advice of Canon, I installed the software under a different user account and it worked fine. I've cleaned the registry of all mentions of the older program and have also run Registry Booster to correct errors. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and the software several times. Why would a program work under one user account and not another? Both were set up as administrators.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Running Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium on an HP quad core with 3 GB RAM.

Maybe the Print Spooler is corrupted. Use winkey + R to open a run dialog. Type services.msc and hit enter.

Under the name column, look for "Print Spooler" and highlight. On the upper left are a Stop and Restart options. Try stopping it and then restarting it. Maybe it will clear out something.

If that doesn't work, you might try running the control panel as admin and deleting and re-installing the device. You are using add device and not add printer? I have not installed any multifunction printers, so I have no experience with the install.

problem persists

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, they have no effect. It's a weird problem, because the program runs perfectly on a different user account.

I should have mentioned I had a previous version of this software installed with an older printer and working fine. Unfortunately, the software is specific to the printer model.

I ma having the exact problem but with the LiDE200 scanner only. MP Navigator does not run and ends with a BEX error. The Microsoft site is no help. Canon told me to create the new account and it worked in that account. Canon told me it is a rights or OS issue, not them. Of course it is not them.

The scanner works fine with other software, it is the Canon software that does not work.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I am having the same problem on two computers and no one can figure it out

I installed a Canon 860 on two Dell laptops on the same network and work group. Both end MP Navigator right after starting but when I called Canon they had me create a new user account on both and it works fine. I contacted Dell and they said that this is a software problem not a Windows or hardware problem. They said that the User Account is corrupted and I should just delete it. This involves more than what I want to do. I can't believe that both computers and yours is has become corrupted. Something is just not right.

Definitely weird

I doubt everybody has corrupted user accounts. Clearly, it's an incompatibility between Win7 and Canon. I gave up trying to get it to work a while back and just use the built-in Windows Fax and Scan program instead.

Why would a program work under one user account and not another? Both were set up as administrators.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Running Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium on an HP quad core with 3 GB RAM.
After reading everyone's common problems with the user account not working / new user account working. I think we can assume that perhaps there is an underlying software conflict. Now assuming that your user account works fine in all other respects except for the canon software issue. Then I would suspect that there is something (a program or service) starting up under your user account that is not common to the default user account and hence not common to a newly created user account. There is a couple ways to examine this probably the easier for you is to log on as you and type msconfig in the search box or run dialog box and examine the programs that are starting up under the startup tap, also check under the services tab after checking the box that says hide all microsoft services. Then do the same thing logging on as the new user account that you created after talking with canon. I suspect after some trial and error you will find the offending process, by unchecking the dis-similar ones in your actual user account. It's kind of a pain but it's the logical explanation.

I had this problem with Epson Scan, the utility for the Epson V500 photo scanner, and Canon MP Navigator EX 4.0, utility for the Canoscan LiDE 110 scanner. Here I go, and what is it with these guy insisting that the problem is with Microsoft! Well let me just uninstall my OS and give you a call back! Both machines worked if I used Adobe, I actualy still have the Canon scanner. They need to understand that we all bought a pakage deal and that includes the software. These utilities worked on my Win 7 32 bit machine but not on my 64 bit machine. Granted they are far from identical. I will try setting it up under a different user. Niether tech support helped. Thanks

I found a fix to my problem in another forum. This sounds crazy, but it took care of the problem.

Find the directory:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

When I first looked, I found a link to MSN, I deleted the link and the problem went away. Delete anything in the directory and see if that takes care of the problem.

No, I am not crazy, this does work!

Be sure to Show Hidden Files and System Files (Folder Options/View).

Did you try a new profile to see if it would work?

Re: Definitely weird

I doubt everybody has corrupted user accounts. Clearly, it's an incompatibility between Win7 and Canon. I gave up trying to get it to work a while back and just use the built-in Windows Fax and Scan program instead.

Same issue as most here.

- cannon mp495
- win7 64 bit

can't open navigator for scanning. just using windows fax and scan now. thanks for the tip! (I never really knew the capabilities of that program)

I found a fix to my problem in another forum. This sounds crazy, but it took care of the problem.

Find the directory:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

When I first looked, I found a link to MSN, I deleted the link and the problem went away. Delete anything in the directory and see if that takes care of the problem.

No, I am not crazy, this does work!

Unbelievable... I've been fighting this problem for weeks and this actually worked! I followed the path above and found one lonely msn link in the folder. I deleted it, and suddenly the Canon print software launched fine. :shocked:

I also tried from another user account and that worked also. I had originally installed the Canon PIXMA MX860 software in my Admin account, but never tried scanning from the non-Admin accounts I had set up for my kids. The Canon softare launched just fine in those accounts.

This is definitely one of the stranger things I've seen...

By the way, I'm running Win 7 Home Premium.

Back