Windows 7 Cant Access XP after Win 7 installation

anilthomas26

Hi,
I have Windows XP installed in my PC.After that I tried to install Windows 7.But after the Win7 installation I am not getting any OS selection option at startup.The PC boot into Win 7 directly.

I tried EasyBCD.I tried to create an entry for Win XP .Then it showed a NTDETECT error.Then I downloaded the NTLDR files and extracted to the root of the drive.Thus I created an entry for XP.

After the reboot I got an OS selection screen.But when I tried to select the Win XP option, I am getting the error message "Invalid Boot.ini/NTDETECT Failed"

What should I do ?

It seems like you are encountering issues with the dual boot setup between Windows XP and Windows 7. The error messages you are receiving typically indicate problems with the boot configuration or missing critical files.

Here are steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue:

1. Check Boot.ini:
- Boot.ini is a system file that Windows XP uses to configure the operating system boot options. Make sure that the Boot.ini file is correctly configured to point to the correct location of Windows XP.

2. Use EasyBCD:
- Since you have EasyBCD installed, you can use it to help manage the dual boot configuration. Make sure that the entries created in EasyBCD point to the correct partition where Windows XP is installed.

3. Verify NTLDR and NTDETECT:
- These are critical files for Windows XP. Ensure that these files are in the correct locations on the Windows XP partition. Both NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM should be in the root of the Windows XP partition.

4. Repair Boot Configuration:
- You can try repairing the boot configuration using the Windows XP installation CD. Boot from the CD, enter the Recovery Console, and use commands like fixboot and fixmbr to repair the boot configuration.

5. Rebuild Boot Configuration:
- You can also try rebuilding the boot configuration by using the bootrec command in Windows 7. Boot into the Windows 7 installation disc, choose the repair options, and then open a Command Prompt. Use commands like bootrec /rebuildbcd to rebuild the boot configuration.

6. Verify Partition Settings:
- Ensure that the partitions for both Windows XP and Windows 7 are set correctly. Use disk management tools to check the partition settings and drive letters.

7. Update EasyBCD Configuration:
- If you continue to face issues, try updating the EasyBCD configuration again after ensuring that all files and partitions are correctly set up.

Try these steps and see if they help resolve the boot selection issue between Windows XP and Windows 7. If you encounter any specific errors or need further assistance, feel free to provide more details.

Back