Windows 7 Can't adjust display brightness

jtpice9 -

I too registered on this forum to say thank you for your solution - it worked brilliantly! After tediously searching numerous forums, I finally found a solution that did the trick. Thanks so much!!

jtpice9, same as all the people above me. I tried everything and was just about ready to return my laptop before finding this thread. Worked like a charm! I have no idea how you figured that out but it definitely fixes the problem.

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L850D and I couldn't adjust the brightness. Also, whenever i put the computer to sleep it would become dim when starting it up again. So incredibly frustrating. How have they not fixed this issue by now?

Bumping this for others who undoubtedly have the same issue. Thanks again!

Anyone still unable to solve the problem try the following:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

Once the Device Manger box opens expand the "Monitors" tab

Left Click and Uninstall the monitor listed

Then select the Scan for Hardware Changes Icon

Sounds bizarre, but the adjust display brightness should reappear.

To everyone who this helped, please help me! I have an hp dv5t lap top with the same problems can adjust brightness. I did what jtprice said, but when he says "the adjust display brightness should appear" It should appear where?? I don't see anything. I've done it a few times now and I just dont know where it should appear. Please help.

Hi,
I have a dell vostro 2520 laptop. I have a problem in controlling the brightness of the screen. When i bought the laptop it was with ubuntu now i have installed "win 7 ultimate". When it was ubuntu i could manage to control the brightness by using Fn and F4 button but now i cannot reduce the brightness below 1 level. Can someone tell me the solution to the problem and how to reduce the brightness.

Suggestion:
Have your Dell service tag with you, go to Dell website, use the tag number so that you will be in a page that your computer ( dell vostro 2520 ) belongs to.
Find the drivers section, update your drivers.

P.S. you latch on a thread that is at least 3 years old. Should have started a new thread for yourself.

Anyone still unable to solve the problem try the following:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

Once the Device Manger box opens expand the "Monitors" tab

Left Click and Uninstall the monitor listed

Then select the Scan for Hardware Changes Icon

Sounds bizarre, but the adjust display brightness should reappear.
MADE AN ACCOUNT JUST TO THANK YOU!!! For anyone out there who installed any kind of remote desktop service (e.g. Splashtop), you have to uninstall the driver that Splashtop installed in the monitor list. Also make sure you check the "Delete this driver" THANK YOU!

HI i have an HP pavilion dv5 laptop .. and i have the same problem after i format my laptop to windows 8 ,
i checked my monitor driver and the result is " your driver is up to date " , what can i do pleas help me in this ....

This is a very old thread, but for anyone with a similar problem, let me add a couple of items. The issue of screen brightness is not always something that can be changed with a brightness setting.
  • On many laptops, the screen brightness cannot be set to be as bright when on battery power as when plugged in.
  • As LED/LCD displays age, one way they can start to fail is to lose brightness and/or contrast. The display can sometimes appear good when it is turned on and then fade as it warms up. You can sometimes buy a little time before the need for repair or replacement by maximizing the contrast and/or brightness settings on the monitor, itself.
  • Some graphics software, like Photoshop, offer a screen gamma adjustment utility to fine tune the brightness of the individual colors for more accurate graphics work. The one for Photoshop is called Adobe Gamma Loader. Other utilities may have similar names. These are typically loaded at boot-up. These can reduce the overall screen brightness, which may be necessary to enhance the visibility of very dark or very light colors. Also, the settings are typically done by eye using some on-screen tools and it is easy to make inaccurate settings, which may result in the screen being darker than necessary. You might want to compromise between color accuracy and brightness for general use or if you use the computer for graphics work only occasionally, load the gamma utility only when needed.

Hi jtpice9,
Just want to let you know that still after 4 years when you posted this fix, the issue still comes up and your method fixes it!.

My hat of to you sir, you have saved me a headache as this is the work laptop.

Cheers mate.

So many years after, this problem still happens to occur.
This is why I created an account on this forum just to say THANK YOU jtpice9! Your solution is still working, quick and simple.
Best regards

Mighty jtpice9! I still can't believe that after all these stupid "Reinstall your Windows", "Update your drivers", "Scan for viruses" etc. advises, your simple solution that on first look was too simple to be true, finally WORKED!!!!
I've sustained the tradition to register on this forum just to thank you! Will be funny to see how this issue will still be alive since 2011.

Back