Windows 7 Can't browse drive in Win7 x64 (build 7000)

Sunflare

Hello

I'm enjoying the beta version of win 7 (build 7000) , but since the beginning I've had a problem when I try to browse one of my drives.
In explorer, a progression bar appears on top when I click on the drive letter. This bar never fills up, even after several minutes. In other programs , it just never shows the contents of the drive. The disk LED doesn't flash when this happens
When this happen, I have to reboot the computer in order to get access to the drive again. This partition is on the same HD as the Win7 system partition.
Space is not a problem : I have more than 200 GB free.

The computer is recent (6 months old), and XP displays the contents in less than half a second.

Has anyone run into something similar?

Last edited:
First run chkdsk x: from elevated command prompt to make sure no corruption is going on. In command prompt mode, can you switch to the drive and run simple commands such as dir and copy? If copy works get anything you need off that drive immediately

Next open disk management and make sure it it looks ok. Make sure you can highight the partition, right click and options are available etc (not greyed out)... This might tell you that something is wrong if options are not available compared to your other drive.

Check your event logs (probably system) to see if any HD related errors are reported

Check your Bios, make sure it is recognized ok and the options looks the same as your working drive. If it is a SATA drive, open your box and connect it to a different SATA port. Also if you have one, swap out the SATA cable for a different on and confirm it is seated properly on both sides.

If PATA (IDE) style drive, make sure you have Master/Slave jumpers set properly on both drives if applicable.

You can download Bart PE or a similar portable OS, boot into this alternate OS via cd/dvd and will not affect your primary Windows 7 install. See if you get the same behavior, that way you can confirm if it is OS related.

Finally, if still not working, format the drive.

If all the above do not fix the problem then I would suspect your HD is failing. If you have access to another drive, pop that in on the same port to see if that makes a difference

Good luck
rb

Last edited:
Sorry for not getting back at you sooner : I wasn't home this week-end.

The disk is clean : there's no corruption going on. I don't see anything on my logs and the drive manager doesn't return any error .

Check your Bios, make sure it is recognized ok and the options looks the same as your working drive. If it is a SATA drive, open your box and connect it to a different SATA port. Also if you have one, swap out the SATA cable for a different on and confirm it is seated properly on both sides.
It's on a notebook so I can't exactly swap things around.

Windows XP doesn't have problem accessing the disk. In fact pretty much anything except 7 can browse it (I tried Ubuntu and some mini Linux kernel whose name I forgot).
I don't think it's a hardware problem : the disk doesn't make any noise and runs fine on other os's.
What's bothering me is that the LED doesn't flash while 7 hangs trying to read the contents of the disk. Could this be a driver problem?

See if my post here can get this resolved for you.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/3133-my-music-folder-not-accessible.html#post15434

There is probably a more global way to do this, but I don't know it offhand. I am not in Win 7b at the moment to investigate.

EDIT: Try the following.

Ok, I only use Win 7 part-time (I boot 4 different OS's), and I did not remember exactly what I did to access my XP partition.

The following should work for you (you do not need to be in safe mode for Windows 7).
Open Windows Explorer in Windows 7, right-click on the XP partition, choose Properties, then the Security tab. Under Groups or User Names, you should see several listed. Look for Administrators and Users.

If you are missing either one of theses, click on Edit > Add, and type Administrators in the box and click on Check names. Something like "YOURUSERNAME-PC\Administrators" should appear. Click on OK, then click on Add again and type Users in the box and click on Check names. Something like "YOURUSERNAME-PC\Users" should appear. Click on OK, OK, and OK. Now open the Security tab again (if you added Administrators or Users)

Click on Edit, then highlight "Administrators" and check the box for Full control. Next highlight "Users" and check the appropriate boxes (I have the "Read & execute", "List folder contents", and "Read" boxes checked). Click on OK and OK.

You can also do the above for specific folders instead of the entire partition if you do not want access to the entire partition from Windows 7.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom