Windows 7 Can't connect to internet

Is it possible a firewall is blocking it? Maybe even the windows firewall if you are using software to make the connection. You can allow it to pass through if it's a program that connects you.

ok update to previous post

Previously the device manager said that I simply had an onboard LAN adapter, but I finally found a spec sheet that detailed my LAN Adapter as Realtek PHY RTL8211B-GR.

Going to Realtek, i cannot find anything about this particular adapter. Cannot find a driver or anything...

hopefully someone else experience this....and has the solution?

Help I cannot connect to the internet when I type the password in

help i cant connect to the internet, my connection is security enabled and i typed the long password and kept trying for 2 days now and i even had my mom help me and i still cant connect im positive i typed it right. please help!:confused::frown:

'bmc_',

Yes, but, you aren't going to like...
W/out getting another/different computer this will resolve... go get an external ethernet card & or wireless card or USB wireless device. Give up on the oboard stuff. They are cheap. Make sure to get something Win7 Ready & not HP, LOL ;)

Thanks,
Drew

Look... I speak English, some Spanish, some Korean, Southern Redneck, Geek and sometimes Super Geek and of course, the language of Love.... but I still don't know what you said.

Drew, I hear what you are saying. I did so much research before buying this PC and thought for sure it was trouble free, great reviews, good price, etc! Couldn't see the unknown though! LOL. My buddy has an HP Elite, no issues, although he did a format and then a full clean install. That seems to be the issue there.

Beyond not being able to get to the internet, and if I run out and buy a new networking card, I have the issue that when I boot up I get a blank screen with an arrow in the middle of it. The windows icon appears and then when the login screen would typically appear, I get nothing. SO does anyone understand that?? I have tried everything I can.

Here's the interesting part though. I can connect to the homegroup, I can ping out and my ISP sees the PC on the web, but I cannot get a browser to load??

I was hoping there'd be some more solid answers here, but knowing how new this is, I guess that's hoping too much. Now I think I am looking for a miracle...or a genius!

ran thru google? what are you implying? That that's how I found what I had?

My issue is that HP doesn't support W7 for this PC. My buddy's machine has support drivers on the HP software/drivers site, but as for mine, all they have is Vista drivers. Dunno what to do.

Ok, here's my latest development. I found the MB Manufacturer site, they do not even list the MB as a product they've created...

decided to download the Nvidia drivers for the type of MB i have, even though my specific board wasn't listed. Downloaded to thumb drive, installed on PC and I was able to activate my version of w7, which means something is getting to the internet, but still no browser will access the internet or the router ip....it doesn't even think about it is just immediately pops up that it cannot connect....I checked to make sure I haven't opted to work offline...that's not the case. anything else I am not thinking of here?

I don't know what else to try.

I am convinced that you have an av program or firewall running. Have you gone into msconfig and turned off EVERYTHING that is set to load at startup?

You may have to cut your losses and just do a clean install.

Connection Problems

I have a similar issue. I am running a Dell Dimension box connected via cable to Virgin Media-never had an issue running XP yet since I have installed Windows 7 it plays up. When I turn the box on it loads normally but then shows that there is no network connectivity. To fix it I have to open Control panel/Network and Sharing/change adaptor settings and disable the local area network, then close control panel. Go through that again and enable the local area network and it stays connected until the next reboot. A couple of times it has managed to connect all by itself-but mainly I have to use the above procedure-any ideas??

John

What Firewall are you using?

I have turned of AVG and MS Firewall. Called HP, of course my warranty expired 39 days ago, so for $59.99 they could 99.99% guarantee a fix, but no money back guarantee! lol. Said no thanks.

Went back to HP's site, got a lvl @ tech on chat, he actually went thru all the trouble shooting he could do with me, we turned everything off for start up, created a 2nd user, nothing would fix it. He said what I've been hearing from everyone, but just don't like very much... upgrades have issues, fresh installs...not so much. HOWEVER. I have an upgrade version...suggestions?

I have turned of AVG and MS Firewall. Called HP, of course my warranty expired 39 days ago, so for $59.99 they could 99.99% guarantee a fix, but no money back guarantee! lol. Said no thanks.

Went back to HP's site, got a lvl @ tech on chat, he actually went thru all the trouble shooting he could do with me, we turned everything off for start up, created a 2nd user, nothing would fix it. He said what I've been hearing from everyone, but just don't like very much... upgrades have issues, fresh installs...not so much. HOWEVER. I have an upgrade version...suggestions?

Go to my blog - about 4 th from last and download the full iso directly from microsoft. .read instructions to make it take your upgrade key when you install.

The two times it has happened, I have noticed that other people in the house seem to be doing P2P.

I've been having disconnect issues--slightly different in that web access is fine on boot-up, but drops out later at some point, and possibly every time while I am also running utorrent.

Maybe the problem is a conflict with p2p software?

bug

I've had this problem twice now - you can connect to the router, but go no further. Other computers are able to access the internet. Running Diagnose and Repair repeatably doesn't fix the problem.

I finally fixed the problem by disabling the wireless driver in the Device Drivers, then re-enabling it. Internet connected instantly.

Seems like a major Windows 7 bug - the Diagnose and Repair should have tried that too.
it happens with mine to windows would not install any drivers and also it said windows has the best driver but there is a problem with it...
i installed windows 7 on about 3/4 different machines which all have the same prod id : 00426-OEM-8992662-00497
do u think windows has caught on to this and thought (RITE THATS ENOUGH) or what
i install it without my ijnternet plugged in fine everythin install ok
but as soon as i plugged it in (NOTHING)
???????????????????????????

Mine seems to have fixed itself now-almost as if it has 'learned' that the connection is correct-don't you just LOVE new operating systems................

John

'Altheman',

Here's a quick thought for you - using P2P stuff is a bad, dangerous practice... I will stand firm that it is a (potentially) good way to get a machine 'sick'. Also, frankly, the notion of using utorrent scares the hell outta me.

Gee, thanks for the advice, Drew, but I like to use computers to do things that I want to do. I've been running utorrent for years on XP machines, and somehow I've managed to keep the machine's nose clean the whole time. Maybe because I pay for Spyware Doctor, and I'm not some novice who can't tell the difference between a movie and malware. Just saying, "Don't download torrents" is not an acceptable answer, and torrent-related malware is not the culprit. This is a days-old install on a new HDD, and all I've downloaded are a couple of AVIs, which are kosher.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now the conflict is with utorrent--connection is fine, but if I run utorrent for a few hours, websites will be inaccessible, while the utorrent connection may still work. It's not really that big a deal, as a quick reboot fixes the problem, but disabling/enabling the network adapter does nothing, nor did disabling the power-saving option.

For months, I used Win 7 RC (Ultimate). Then upgraded to the "real" Win 7 Ult when I got my disks from MS (I'm a Partner). Ever since the clean install, my wireless connection has been very slow to connect. It can take up to 10 minutes to see the router, then maybe another 5 minutes to connect to the Internet. During this time, if I try to connect or diagnose my connection problem, I get nowhere. This wait can be very frustrating!!

Once I'm connected, I stay connected, solid as a rock.

I'll try the Disable/Enable and other ideas from this thread and report back.

For months, I used Win 7 RC (Ultimate). Then upgraded to the "real" Win 7 Ult when I got my disks from MS (I'm a Partner). Ever since the clean install, my wireless connection has been very slow to connect. It can take up to 10 minutes to see the router, then maybe another 5 minutes to connect to the Internet. During this time, if I try to connect or diagnose my connection problem, I get nowhere. This wait can be very frustrating!!

Once I'm connected, I stay connected, solid as a rock.

I'll try the Disable/Enable and other ideas from this thread and report back.

I have a list of about 20 possible fixes in the link in my tagline.

Microsoft states: "Troubleshooting connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes"

Back