Windows 7 Can't connect to internet

DanOhio

I just upgraded from Win Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Enterprise on a Dell Latitude XT. After the upgrade, I can connect to the network wirelessly and in the Network and Sharing center, it shows that I have full connectivity to the internet. However, I can't connect to anything outside of our office. Messenger won't connect, IE won't connect, Twitter sidebar tool won't connect. I have done IPCONFIG /renew, /Flushdns. Also ran IE's network troubleshooting with no identifiable problem.

Live Messenger's troubleshooter says "Key Ports" is the problem but nobody else in an office of 30+ (3 others on win 7) users is having any problems connecting to anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
Dan

I've had this problem twice now - you can connect to the router, but go no further. Other computers are able to access the internet. Running Diagnose and Repair repeatably doesn't fix the problem.

I finally fixed the problem by disabling the wireless driver in the Device Drivers, then re-enabling it. Internet connected instantly.

Seems like a major Windows 7 bug - the Diagnose and Repair should have tried that too.

Again I have a similar problem myself. Using a desktop and a notebook both running Vista Ultimate I upgraded to Windows 7 and although the notebook works beautifully, the desktop will connect to the wireless network, access the router and (from time to time) access the sharing folders on the notebook, but It doesn't seem to connect to the internet at all through the D-Link N Series Rangebooster WLAN card I installed, or at least not for more than bout 5 seconds - half the google logo will load, then the connnection is lost.

Highwayman and Winber, just to see if you have the exact issue I have, I've also found the following:

Disabling the windows Firewall seems to solve the issue. Obviously this isn't how anyone wants to run things so I disabled my wireless card, switched the firewall off, copied over a download of the Comodo free firewall package via a portable hard drive, installed and re-enabled the network adapter - same issue.

It seems to be that any firewall will simply cut internet access as soon as it appears.

Also, try opening the list of available networks once connected and hit refresh, it seems to restore the connnection for a few seconds until it drops out again

I dont have any such issues, I got a laptop and 3 desktops all connected 3 of which are windows 7 and have no issues.

Hi dtmb,

It sounds like the same issue, but I'm not sure. Next time it happens I'll try disabling the firewall and see what happens. The reasons I think it might be the same are:
* The wireless connection is able to connect to the ADSL Router ok (I know, because I can log into it over the browser)
* The ADSL Router is definitely connected to the internet (I can ping internet addresses from the router, I can also access the internet from my Windows XP laptop)

This has only happened when I have started up the computer. The two times it has happened, I have noticed that other people in the house seem to be doing P2P.

Cheers

What network card do you have in the computer you are using? Do you know the brand of the router and if it uses PPoE?

The network adapter is apparently a "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbs USB 2.0 Network Adapter" which I think is part of the "ASUS PK5 Premium Motherboard Black Pearl Edition MG565". I ran Vista on the same hardware for about a year without experiencing this problem.

The router is a Draytek Vigor2820Vn and it is showing the ADSL connection as being PPPoA. I haven't configured the router in any special way other than putting in the connection info specified by the ISP. Encryption is the basic WEP. The router is very reliable and I think was showing about 60 days uptime until I started resetting it multiple times and upgrading the firmware in a failed attempt of trying to resolve the problem.

Ok, the problem happened again when I turned on my computer this morning...

Disabling Windows Firewall didn't help. I disabled each of the three profiles one by one (I didn't disable all of them at once).

The Diagnose connection problems in Internet Explorer couldn't find the problem.

I was able to access the wireless router via a browser.

Finally I disabled the network adapter in Device Manager. Then I renabled it. Within about half a second Skype had a connection, and Windows Messenger was connected a few seconds later.

I have the exact same problem. Tried your solution and it worked. I hope they come out with a fix soon!!!!

interesting... What network card / motherboard do you have?

At the very least they should include recycling the network adapter as part of the repair connection routine. But yes, a permanent fix is needed!

Ok, the problem happened again when I turned on my computer this morning...

Disabling Windows Firewall didn't help. I disabled each of the three profiles one by one (I didn't disable all of them at once).

The Diagnose connection problems in Internet Explorer couldn't find the problem.

I was able to access the wireless router via a browser.

Finally I disabled the network adapter in Device Manager. Then I renabled it. Within about half a second Skype had a connection, and Windows Messenger was connected a few seconds later.

You could have just rebooted your router. Works for me.

Give it a couple of weeks and the companies that make various drivers and software for windows 7 will come out with hotfixes and what not to fix common problems that were found!!!

same issue however I cannot connect to the router thru the browser. I have tried turning off the firewall, but no change. I am able to access the other computers on the network, but cannot get to the internet....HELP!

Can you try connecting directly to the modem to see if the problem is with your router?

Did you try using Device Manager to disable then re-enable your wireless network adaptor?

"Drew> Device Mgr, uninstall nic or wireless adpt & reboot... oft a quick, easy fix." - Doesn't do anything.

"winber Did you try using Device Manager to disable then re-enable your wireless network adaptor?" Yes, I did that before searching help on the internet. I've also contact HP they say there is not a driver that is compatible with Win 7!

Speaking of rebooting, you'll love this, I reboot, acts like it'll load the login screen but never does, just a black screen with an arrow in the middle of it. I hard reboot and hold down f8, boot with last know good conf, boots right up, let's me login but still no internet access.

Again, weird to me is that the network and sharing center shows it as connected to the internet. I disabled the firewall on the router and windows - nothing. I cannot even use the browser to get to the router interface.

Thoughts?

Hi
I also can't connect to the internet after upgrading to windows 7 ultimate from windows Vista home premium. Strange thing is, my internet connection was fine until I went thorugh windows update, and rebooted my computer, then all my netowrk adapters were gone. Since then, no wireless internet, I am running a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5814 with what i believe (don't quite remember the adapters) are realtek rtl8187b wireless 802.11 b/g netowork adapters, or possibly atheros. I've reinstalled drivers numerous times, rebooted, reinstalled OS etc.

Help would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom