Windows 7 Can't create new folder.

BFORR

First day on Windows 7. Installed a couple of programs. been working all day. The folder option is missing from the New menu and new folder button doesn't work.

Hi

I'd start by opening the Command Prompt as administrator, (right click on the link and select "Run As Administrator") type SFC /scannow and hit enter.

Let it run the scan and see if it finds and fixes some corrupted system files.

If that doesn't work look at this post, your not the first person to see this problem.

Cannot create new folder in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Mike

Such problems are usually caused by corrupted or missing registry keys. If the SFC scan doesn't find and fix the problem automatically for you, you can fix it manually.

Open the start menu and type regedit in the search field. Once you open Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ and ensure the "(default)" value is set as "{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

If the value is already set as that, you can download this fix. Just open the reg file contained in the zip archive and the changes will be made automatically.

Fix: View attachment fix_new_folder.zip

Thnx Mike. Scannow didn't find any errors. I ran that from the c:\window\sys32 folder. Should I have been at c:\?

Glad to have been of assistance. Feel free to post again if you experience any more issues.

Hello again Mr. Mitchell. One more question and I think I know the answer. Is it possible to transfer programs from my old computer to my new? I think they have to be installed. Just trying to save my boss some $ by me doing it instead of our tech consultant.

Bryan

Hi

There's not a real answer to that, many programs can just be copied from on computer to another.

That's true of WOW, and Adobe Premiere Elements but not of Photoshop, or newer versions of Illustrator.

The only way to find out it try it, if you have the install disks it's probably better to just go ahead and reinstall them.

If you have the software disks there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself.

Mike

So long as you have a legitimate install source and activation method if requried, you can do it no problem. There's no way to actually transfer an existing installation of a program.

I just want to thank you for posting this fix. I had tried many other fixes from different forums and nothing worked. I'm glad I found this forum and your fix worked. Thank you so much.

I owe you a tremendous amount, because after several other attempts to fix this issue, your solution worked quickly and effortlessly! Thank you, Mitchell A.! :)

Mike A you are awsome this post helped so much i have been haveing this problem so long thankyouthankyouthankyou hope you keep posting

Found the fix in this forum I needed to run Folder_New_Context_Ment_Item.zip extract both x.reg items and run the remove Folder option and then add folder option and this worked for me

Last edited:
Such problems are usually caused by corrupted or missing registry keys. If the SFC scan doesn't find and fix the problem automatically for you, you can fix it manually.

Open the start menu and type regedit in the search field. Once you open Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ and ensure the "(default)" value is set as "{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

If the value is already set as that, you can download this fix. Just open the reg file contained in the zip archive and the changes will be made automatically.

Fix: View attachment 22844

Mitchell, thanks!! The fix folder worked like a charm! It's so weird, one second I created a folder and the next I couldn't create another one! WHOOSH, gone just like that!!
Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'm back in business!

PS - first time I've ever joined one of these forums...guess I picked the right one!

Lisa

Mitchell, I had this problem and tried and tried to fix it. Your suggestion here worked and I am grateful! :) The option does not always appear when I right-click in a directory though. I have to look at the bar above to click the "New Folder" button.

Is this the way it is designed or is there another fix needed?

Thanks,

Geopati727

Fix: View attachment 22844

Mike -
I'm in regedit\dir\shellex\contextMenuHandlers
3 subs, no "new"

background- 2 identical laptops, both W7SP1; this problem's on 1

did SFC routine; uninstalled Java7-25; rebooted.

can still only add briefcase to 'normal folders' (doc, pic); briefcase, comp file to others incl desktop.

any further remarks?

PS this machine is missing BCSShellMenuExt with a long "number".

I backed up 5 days to system restore; didnt fix anything; messed up my browser-of-choice. apparently may have it functioning properly.

Last edited:
Back