Windows 7 Can't create new folders anymore

mrmagoo

I am using a Fujitsu NH570 Notebook and am running Windows 7 Home Edition. A few weeks ago I don't know what happened but the New Folder link at the top of say the documents folder or any place that has that option that a person would use to create a new folder doesn't work anymore. You click on it and nothing happens. Does anybody know what I can do about it?

If the New option is missing from the desktop right click context menu, there are several threads about how to get that back. These may all be tied back to one common source, but concerning the option in the Documents folder, you might check some of the registry entries below.

Open regedit.exe and look at this key, then on the right side, it should show the GUID number below it.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LibraryFolder\background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New
{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

Now check and make sure this key is present and what is in it.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}
New Menu Handler
0x00000000 (0)
and under ImProcServer32
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
Apartment

If it isn't this, maybe someone else will know.

I must tell you that even though I have used a PC for about 11/2 years and and a Mac for about 20 years before that, I have no idea about the registry or GUID. I was just using the Documents as an example. It is the same anywhere that option is available in any folder. You can click on "New folder" and nothing happens.

Ok, but because the any changes to the Registry can cause problems to your system, do not even try until you understand how it works.

GUID numbers are the ones between the {} and Microsoft loves them......

If you want to try the registry editor to check the keys I mentioned, use the Winkey+R to open the Run dialog. Type regedit and hit enter, then accept the permission upgrade box.

You can probably find several sites that discuss the registry and how to use regedit.exe, so you might want to find one of those. But the registry is divided into keys. The higher order ones deal with different parts of the system. So, on the second key I gave you, going to the HKEY_Classes_Root and expanding it to the CLSID key and expanding it to the {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} key.

You can also do a search for things, so try to copy and paste the GUID number in the Edit/Find window (CTRL+F) and search. The bottom of the windows has a listing of which key you currently have selected

Then do the same thing with the other key and confirm both are present as set as described. If one is not, hopefully we can correct the problem... Play with it if you want to see how it works. If you can verify a problem, it might be as easy as double clicking a file to correct.

Since you seem to have a rather precise picture of when the problem started, you could try a restoration point. Questions could be: new software installed, new hardware / drivers installed? Go to a point before the estimated problem. It may cause recently installed programs / drivers to not function, but they can be re-installed.

Sometimes Windows updates cause trouble.

Ok, but because the any changes to the Registry can cause problems to your system, do not even try until you understand how it works.

If you want to try the registry editor to check the keys I mentioned, use the Winkey+R to open the Run dialog. Type regedit and hit enter, then accept the permission upgrade box.

You can probably find several sites that discuss the registry and how to use regedit.exe, so you might want to find one of those. But the registry is divided into keys. The higher order ones deal with different parts of the system. So, on the second key I gave you, going to the HKEY_Classes_Root and expanding it to the CLSID key and expanding it to the {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} key.

You can also do a search for things, so try to copy and paste the GUID number in the Edit/Find window (CTRL+F) and search. The bottom of the windows has a listing of which key you currently have selected

Then do the same thing with the other key and confirm both are present as set as described. If one is not, hopefully we can correct the problem... Play with it if you want to see how it works. If you can verify a problem, it might be as easy as double clicking a file to correct.

What is the Winkey key

You can also reach the registry editor by typing "regedit" search box, should be down left when you click "Start". Leave the quotation marks out. You should see "regedit" on top left of your Start menu, right under your name. Left click it and REMEMBER TO BE CAREFUL.

You might consider to create a restoration point before doing anything: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Advanced System Settings\System Protection>>>Create a restore point, at bottom of the window.

An easier way could be to try e.g. CCleaner. It's quite reliable, and recommended in this Forum.

Back