Can't delete file

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by dyrelogan, Apr 20, 2010.

1. dyrelogan

dyrelogan Senior Member

I recently came across something that I have never seen before and have never even heard of and it is really bothering me. I have a file on my desktop that I cannot delete, rename, or open. It is simply a "File" and yet when I try to delete it I get this message: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\"My Drive"\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again. Please, if anyone knows how to delete this from my desktop, I would be most grateful. I have tried a system restore, tried to find it in the registry, and even performed a chkdsk but to no avail. I am at a loss here. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. ako

ako New Member

re: cant delete

have you'd tried other programs such as eraser or unlocker.

3. dyrelogan

dyrelogan Senior Member

I tried MalwareBytes' feature, I forget what the feature is because restoring my computer to a previous day erased the program. But I will try that and get back to you.

4. dyrelogan

dyrelogan Senior Member

Ok, Eraser doesn't work either. I tried to add the file and it gives me that same message about File Not Found. Check the name and try again.

5. dyrelogan

dyrelogan Senior Member

HECK YEAH! Used Unlocker and it said it couldn't fine the file, so I chose the option to Delete and it deleted! YES! THANK YOU! :):):):)

6. ako

ako New Member

re: cant delete

:) nice to hear that you finally manage to erase the file.. :)